• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Had it, didn't like it, sold it as soon as I got my G43. Not a good sign that they have to dang near give them away now. Anyone that would buy a hi-point with prices on a S&W this low is crazy.

Still one of the best-selling in guns in the country, hugely popular.

Shields are my best-selling handgun by a wide margin.

Gun sales have slowed down overall, (Except MG sales, which are through the roof.) so most all manufacturers are offering rebates and/or free gear deals.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I saw that Palmetto State had a package deal on a 9mm Shield w/o thumb safety and 3 stripped lowers for $325 after the $75 rebate.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Hard to hold onto this little sucker!

Attachments

• IMG_8213.jpg
      IMG_8213.jpg
      56.1 KB · Views: 326

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    What does everyone think if their Shields? I have taken mine to the range 2x, put about 350 rounds total through it, and I still struggle with the trigger. No matter what I do all shots tend to be low and left (I am right handed). Don't have this problem with my Glock 19. I find it incredibly difficult to squeeze the trigger without moving the gun. Even dry firing the sight picture jumps when the trigger is squeezed. What am I doing wrong? Or is the trigger just terrible?

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    What does everyone think if their Shields? I have taken mine to the range 2x, put about 350 rounds total through it, and I still struggle with the trigger. No matter what I do all shots tend to be low and left (I am right handed). Don't have this problem with my Glock 19. I find it incredibly difficult to squeeze the trigger without moving the gun. Even dry firing the sight picture jumps when the trigger is squeezed. What am I doing wrong? Or is the trigger just terrible?

Trigger on my standard shield was junk. I bought a performance center shield and it's much better.

blankford

Apr 29, 2015
    Bel Air

I noticed this as well. When dry firing I could not pull the trigger without slightly moving the end of the muzzle. Full disclosure, I never fired mine with the stock trigger. When I bought the Shield I knew I was going to Apex it right away. I have an Apex trigger/kit in my M&P 9 Pro and love it, so I knew I wanted to put an Apex trigger duty/cary kit in my Shield right from the jump.

I've only put about 100 rounds through it so far but am very pleased. Cannot beat that price.

4G1XSwr.jpg

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA

I picked up a shield in 40 due to the incredibly low price. The trigger sucks but that seems to be common with S&W. I have a Bodyguard 380-had it for about 4-5 years. Trigger was awful so I replaced with an RTK trigger and it's made all the difference. No different with my Shield. I just got it last week but I'm already looking at trigger upgrades. However, with the rebate and free shipping I'm in a brand new 40 for $270 (with transfer.) I have no complaints.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Thanks, this makes me feel a lot better. The trigger in this thing is horrible, although I feel like if I can shoot this gun with this crappy trigger than I can shoot anything. So I guess I'll keep working at it. I'd really rather spend the money on ammo than a new trigger.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    I'd really rather spend the money on ammo than a new trigger.

I definitely get that sentiment and felt the same way for a long time. But in the past few years I came to the realization that I would buy a gun and realize there was something about it I didn't like. So then I would ultimately buy another gun...and another...and another. I finally decided that I personally don't need dozens of guns (that's just my personal belief for me. I'm not someone who will opine as to what others "need.")

So rather than searching for the elusive "perfect gun" I decided to start wrenching on what I had in an attempt to fix the things I don't like. That's been very satisfying and I'm learning to love guns I used to like. Upgraded my bodyguard and love it now whereas before I liked it and hated the trigger.

Had a Desert Eagle in 9mm that I personally liked a lot but loved it after the new trigger (though I did ultimately sell it.) It's funny how many people told me they hated DE until they shot mine. Then I had several offers to buy it. Even Massad Ayoob commented about how much he enjoyed shooting my DE. Said he could tell from the first squeeze that work had been done to it.

I'm researching what I wanna do to my Shield. I imagine a new trigger will fit the bill sufficiently.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I definitely get that sentiment and felt the same way for a long time. But in the past few years I came to the realization that I would buy a gun and realize there was something about it I didn't like. So then I would ultimately buy another gun...and another...and another. I finally decided that I personally don't need dozens of guns (that's just my personal belief for me. I'm not someone who will opine as to what others "need.")

So rather than searching for the elusive "perfect gun" I decided to start wrenching on what I had in an attempt to fix the things I don't like. That's been very satisfying and I'm learning to love guns I used to like. Upgraded my bodyguard and love it now whereas before I liked it and hated the trigger.

Had a Desert Eagle in 9mm that I personally liked a lot but loved it after the new trigger (though I did ultimately sell it.) It's funny how many people told me they hated DE until they shot mine. Then I had several offers to buy it. Even Massad Ayoob commented about how much he enjoyed shooting my DE. Said he could tell from the first squeeze that work had been done to it.

I'm researching what I wanna do to my Shield. I imagine a new trigger will fit the bill sufficiently.

Understood. I got the Shield because it was cheap. It's just a toy and I am not carrying it or anything. I am a Glock guy and will likely get a G43. If and when I do, I'll be more willing to put some money into a trigger for that gun.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Thanks, this makes me feel a lot better. The trigger in this thing is horrible, although I feel like if I can shoot this gun with this crappy trigger than I can shoot anything. So I guess I'll keep working at it. I'd really rather spend the money on ammo than a new trigger.

I sold my Shield because of the horrible trigger. It was incredibly disappointing. I have considered buying a performance center, but would really like to try one first. Hate to have to sell another one.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Why not? Hate shooting it that much?

Don't hate shooting it, I just won't be needing extra mags. I had visions of shooting USPSA matches with this thing where I would need 4 mags but that is not going to happen. A couple co-workers purchased 9mm Shields, they might be interested in some extra mags.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    There's a single stack division in USPSA

I haven't been doing this for long, so please correct me, but it seems like the best pistol for that class is a long barrel 1911 type, with a nice light trigger. At least that's what I've seen at matches. Can a CCW pistol be competitive?

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Anybody receiving S&W rebates on Shield yet? I check Milano rebate status, and it does not acknowledge that it has received my claim. Anybody else having similar experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom