• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    So last night I was out and bumped into one of the guys that had been working at Atlantic Guns and we started talking and almost fell over when he told me that they plan on closing both stores between May and July , They plan on downsizing at a new location somewhere a cross from King Farms on 355 in Rockville , It seems that declining sales lack of parking mostly at Silver Spring along with the coming Metro Purple Line down Bonifant St. making it one way with no street parking . He also said that the current bills banning HBAR's would really hurt there sales , They had gotten some makers to put HBAR on guns just so they could sell them in MD. now that will go away . I see that Hendershots is in a similar condition . I hate to see the Silver Spring store go because I bought my first gun their and it's walking distance . He didn't say how long they would be closed or when they'll reopen I hope all the permits with the County goes easily we all know how much love MOCO. has for gun shops .

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I've never been there. I hope their plan gets scrapped when the hbar bill dies. But, if the location is not good for business, a move is always smart.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Both of their stores are in very high rent districts. A retail business like their's which is so specialized really doesn't need storefront space as visible to walk in and passerby traffic like they have currently. I think it's a smart move to get something maybe a bit smaller and lower rent if that is what they are after.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Both of their stores are in very high rent districts. A retail business like their's which is so specialized really doesn't need storefront space as visible to walk in and passerby traffic like they have currently. I think it's a smart move to get something maybe a bit smaller and lower rent if that is what they are after.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Is there such a thing as Lower Rent anywhere along 355 in Rockville

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Having purchased a few guns from the Rockville store through the years, I hope this isn't the death knell for them. I know that some's experiences with AG have not been good. I blame the small counter space more than anything else. I would hate to see them go completely. Hopefully, the new place will have a more consumer friendly setup. Hopefully, they will continue to stock a decent supply of AR 15 parts. They are the only store in town that does. I also worry that the county/state will refuse to continue their black powder (permit?). They've been a reliable source for my BP through the years.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Is there such a thing as Lower Rent anywhere along 355 in Rockville

We all know the answer to that. Pretty much, every block of 355 is slated for tear-down and up for grabs for commercial/residential high-rise development. :sad20:

38super

Jan 8, 2016
    Montgomery County
    Sad to hear, I have bought quite a few gun's from them over the years, mostly used gun's. That was my weekly stop many years ago where I would go looking for older Smith And Wesson's. 15 years ago nobody wanted them and I would get some great deal's.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Parking is a nightmare in Silver Spring and the rent is high.
    203665.jpg

Jimmy McMillan approves

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    AG in Silver Spring is an anachronism. It fit into the neighborhood perfectly forty years ago, before developers decided to make Silver Spring into the new Bethesda.

Now they're growing tax farms throughout the area; SS, Wheaton, any place within walking distance to a Metro stop. Get those 20-somethings into a highrise, put a Starbucks, shopping and a gym nearby, and start hammering them for their tax dollars.

The 2-story early 1950s-style town that once was is gone forever, as well as the people who used to live there.

For me, the biggest trauma was Dale Music closing on Georgia Ave. It was an incredible repository of sheet music, from popular through classical. I doubt that there's more than one or two shops in the US that could compete, in terms of the depth of their stock. All gone.

Times change, and people change within them. I won't miss the brave new world that's being built around me when I'm gone. The sad part is that so many will never know or understand what they missed.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Having purchased a few guns from the Rockville store through the years, I hope this isn't the death knell for them. I know that some's experiences with AG have not been good. I blame the small counter space more than anything else. I would hate to see them go completely. Hopefully, the new place will have a more consumer friendly setup. Hopefully, they will continue to stock a decent supply of AR 15 parts. They are the only store in town that does. I also worry that the county/state will refuse to continue their black powder (permit?). They've been a reliable source for my BP through the years.

I personally don’t blame on the counter space but customer service. It appears to be that they don’t even bother to talk to me. I had bought a few guns through the area except the one in Rockville. I have heard better customer service in SS but personally never been there so I cant comment on that. One thing that local gun stores need to take note is that there’s online competitions. Everyone earned their money not easy, at least for me. Why would I pay more if I can get them online cheaper? I understand supporting lgs is a good thing but bottom line who supports me? However, I do understand they have to set items at a certain price sustain the rent but this is just my 2ents so hopefully I didn’t offen anyone here.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Mark in Silver Spring helped me set-up my .300 WM a few years ago. Ended-up buying a Leupold scope and rings from him. Very knowledgeable. I'm sorry to hear about their difficulties.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom