• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I will do the same with certain models. ie Trekkers. lol Ill have to check out their kitchen knives too.

They do make fantastic gifts! Sounds like an awesome women!

I only discovered their greatness about two years ago, but I have had one with me almost every day since.

I want a Spirit X too. I am a HUGE Leatherman Super Tool 300 and Rebar fan, but my Swisstool X seems to be on my belt a lot more that the others. The tool set on the Swisstool X is as close to perfection as can be for my needs. I agree, the finish is superior to any other multitool I have owned.

I am the butt of many "utility belt" jokes at work simply because I don't leave home without a multitool. Ever. I am also the first person they go to when they need a screw driver, knife, or pliers. lol

She is it was painful to lose her on my staff. Still keep in touch.

I'm going to have to start "McGyvering" one of these again. Sure my boyhood ones are somewhere in my old bedroom at my parents house.

What's the best modern but retro carry? Swiss Army knives were always a balance of too little vs too many gadgets.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    What's the best modern but retro carry? Swiss Army knives were always a balance of too little vs too many gadgets.

County Comm has two nice Boker EDC knives with tools:

XL - Boker EDC Slip Joint Knife ~ Carbon Fiber

* Knife blade, saw blade, awl, carbide glass breaker, corkscrew, flat screwdriver with wire stripper, small serrated strap cutter blade with small screwdriver tip, foldable lanyard ring, reversible pocket clip
    * Sandvik 12C27 steel with Carbon Fiber scales

XL - Boker EDC Slip Joint Knife ~ Safety Orange G10

* Knife blade, saw blade, scissors, awl, carbide glass breaker, Phillips screwdriver, flat screwdriver with wire stripper, small serrated strap cutter blade with small screwdriver tip, foldable lanyard ring, reversible pocket clip
    * Sandvik 12C27 steel with Orange G10 scales

I’ve got the Carbon Fiber one, and liked it so much that I’m gonna get the G10 one, as well.

One more possibility, which is well designed, sturdy, and (to me, at least) hits the sweet spot of “too little vs. too many”, with (again, to me) exactly the right blend of tools. (although it sounds like this may not be what you were looking for, as it’s a traditional multi-tool)

Gerber Center Drive

* Spring-loaded needle nose pliers w/ x-channel rail system
    * Standard pliers
    * Rotatable carbide wire cutters
    * One-thumb opening system
    * 3.25" 420HC Fine edge blade
    * Magnetic 3.25" Center-axis bit driver
    * Bit driver
    * Extra bit holder (flathead bit included)
    * Ruler in/cm
    * Bottle opener
    * Pry bar & nail puller
    * Awl
    * Fine & coarse sided file
    * Serrated blade
    * Lanyard hole
    * Tool lock
    * #1 cross bit
    * #3 cross bit
    * #1 square bit
    * #2 square bit
    * #10 torx bit
    * #15 torx bit
    * 5/32" flat bit
    * 7/32" flat bit
    * 1/4" flat bit
    * 9/64" hex bit
    * 5/32" hex bit
    * 3/16" hex bit

Randy Wood

Jan 30, 2010
    Yes, but what if you truly need a corkscrew to open a bottle of fine wine? For me, the best balance of modern vs retro is an SAK Climber from c. 1980 with new yellow scales. Tough to lose out in the yard and it won't get confused with anyone else's SAK. Ever.
    eda47f3b28e34b1087cf65fb4df8d6b8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    My favorite...yes it does say Mauser.

Attachments

• 20190401_084902.jpg
      20190401_084902.jpg
      62.1 KB · Views: 343

cb51

Been carrying Victoriox Swiss army knives since 1969. Started out with a huntsman, went down to a tinker, then a recruit. For the past 20 years or so, my keyring has had a little leather pouch sheath hath olds a Classic that gets used literally every single day for something. Opening mail, UPS boxes, cutting jute twine for the tomato plants, dealing with small Phillips screws, and filing the occasional rough nail. The scissors get used a lot too. Tweezers get used to pull small splinters from human hands and stickers from between the dogs paw pads.

Even though I carry a Buck woodsman on my belt for cleaning fish and heavier duty stuff, the little Victorinox gets used for a lot more stuff, every day.

When it comes to pocket knives, Swiss Army knives rule. All the rest are just one trick ponies.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I never got into carrying the bit kits. It was always too bulky when added to my already somewhat bulky “EDC”. I always carry a multitool and a pocket knife. Usually the Swisstool X/Buck 110 or Super Tool 300/Swiss Army Knife and have never found myself seriously lacking. I can understand why people with a different line of work though would like the various bit kits available. I have a couple kits from different manufacturers and Victorinox would be my choice if I wanted more options than just what my multitool offered. I like that the Victorinox driver is separate from the multitool. It allows you to get into tighter spaces and you don’t have this bulky chunk of steel on the other side when trying to get at a small torx screw. The Swisstool kit also comes with the cork screw and little eye glass screw driver.

Attachments

• 898E2068-33A1-4226-AEF5-E3F154E4BC87.jpg
      898E2068-33A1-4226-AEF5-E3F154E4BC87.jpg
      138.1 KB · Views: 289

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    My name is Matt and I have a problem... I need more Victorinox! Seriously, I do love Victorinox knives and tools. It is one of my favorite knife brands. For Christmas my brother got me another to add to my modest collection. A camo Trekker with serrated blade. Funny thing is I hate serrations but I love the ones on Trekkers. Anyone else have a healthy addiction for Victorinox blades?

Here I thought I was the only one. I’ve been a fan since I was about 6 years old. I’ve had different models over the years, but I usually favor the Swisschamp or Trekker. I think they’re the best survival knives out there.

My favorite...yes it does say Mauser.

I had one of those and it was my favorite but I lost it. Great knife.

BTW, new awesome product for Victorinox Knives - a mini Ferro Rod that fits into the toothpick slot. Works well! https://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Vari...y&sprefix=Firefly+fer,aps,147&sr=8-3-fkmrnull

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I love knives, but don't have much use for Victorinox. Their tools are useful, and their functions are decent, but their blade steel just leaves me cold. I'm not a steel snob by any means, but if I dig out the worst of my knives, my Victorinox are amongst them. (The worst are some 440A stainless Chinese blades in Böker Magnums and other low end knives. The 440A isn't bad steel in and of itself; it's the horrible heat treat that makes it.) But I find it very difficult to put a decent edge on a Victorinox!

I have four Victorinox knives. One I put in the first aid kit in my bug out bag and the others I put in other various kits. They're not bad; they just don't excel. You take inexpensive Morakniv knives and they sharpen up very well and they keep their edges. If Victorinox could make their blades as sharp and durable as Morakniv, they would be astounding. You say you love Victorinox. Try ordering a Morakniv from Amazon or other outlet and let me know how you like it.

Put one in your kit with a Victorinox and that will be a great kit. Get a few and they'll also spif up your photo!

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I bought 3-4 of the Mora knives a few years back. They all ended up sitting in my knife box. For the price they are a very good utility fixed blade, but I can’t(shouldnt) tighten a screw or pry something open with a Mora. My day to day routine usually involves pocket knives and multitools, not fixed blades. Over the last 20 years I’ve purchased knives from darn near most of the well known brands and then sold most of them off. The knife/multitool brands that have never let me down and I rely on in nearly all situation(home, work, outdoor adventure) are Victorinox, Buck, and Leatherman. A USMC Kabar a friend gave me and a Spyderco Manix XL managed to find their way in their too.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I have 1 Victorinox Swiss Army and 5 Wengers. Wenger was absorbed by Victorinox several years ago and the Wenger name is no longer being put on SAKs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom