• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TreadNot

May 11, 2012
    Bel Air
    Made a bowie for a friend. 1095 steel. Blade about 8.5 inches. Brass guard. Oosik handle (walrus penis bone, for anyone unenlightened :D), and an 1836 (year of the Battle of the Alamo) penny on the butt. The penny already had a hole in it, perfect for my needs.
    I'm a rank amateur at making knives, but he was happy.

IMG-1697.jpg
    [/url][/IMG]

IMG-1696.jpg
    [/url][/IMG]

IMG-1694.jpg
    [/url][/IMG]

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    TreadNot you may call yourself a rank amateur but I think you do some damm nice work :thumbsup:

Agree :thumbsup:

And TreadNot; if your friend ever had to use that nice Arkansas toothpick in the direst of time; it must be of the utmost satisfaction that he's completing thrusts and slashed supported by an Oosik penile bone. How embarrassing to the recipient of such action. :D

Youtube material I say... :innocent0

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Here are my Kailash blades, nice work across the board. One more set coming including something custom and large. Some of my bayos are interesting but everything else I have is boring.

QIPXG7p.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

I like the mini you have in Indian Rosewood or is that buffalo horn? Sometimes when its really dark its hard to tell. I regret getting the white rosewood but I guess its nice for variety. Its basically my mess kit knife.

Wait to you see what I have coming. 4 new blades. One is the same cursive you have.

In terms of handling the Mk 1 (2nd from the top) is my favorite. Incredible balance and like an extension of my arm its become one of my well placed HD knives. The 9" mini is destined to be a field knife.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I like the mini you have in Indian Rosewood or is that buffalo horn? Sometimes when its really dark its hard to tell. I regret getting the white rosewood but I guess its nice for variety. Its basically my mess kit knife.

Wait to you see what I have coming. 4 new blades. One is the same cursive you have.

In terms of handling the Mk 1 (2nd from the top) is my favorite. Incredible balance and like an extension of my arm its become one of my well placed HD knives. The 9" mini is destined to be a field knife.

My mini is the buffalo horn. I feel another order coming soon. Maybe a birthday present for myself in a couple months. I need a bigger one :D

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    True that, but it's still a bit weird. I ordered the two small knives and the shipping was the same. Went to add a 3rd and the shipping doubled. :shrug:

That's odd. Seems from my orders its about a $30 base and $10 for each additional blade.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    My EDC rotation

With the exception of the Microtech Select Fire which is ANIB (and for sale), this is my EDC rotation.

Left side from top:

Benchmade Presideo
    Emerson A100
    Grayman Dua
    Benchmade Mini Rukus
    Boker CB

Right side from top:

Spyderco Polliwog
    Microtech Mini Socom
    Protech Harkins ATAC Manual
    Microtech Select Fire Manual
    Opinel #8 Carbon Steel
    Kershaw Boa

Attachments

• 20190707_111654.jpg
      20190707_111654.jpg
      91.5 KB · Views: 697

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    So a few weeks ago, I'm at a kids' birthday party. Good food as the hosts are Nepali.

I mention that all the cool guys are buying these kukri knives from Nepal. He says "Oh, yes. Very traditional." I tell him I'll send him the website.

Last night, the couple stops by. They brought me a gift.

Wow.

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

k3.jpg

k4.jpg

Does anyone know the use of the two small knives? Chop with the kukri, then trim my nails?

The kukri is sharp. Ram told how fast a trained user can attack.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Coworker got me this little Betty. Don’t know anything about it but it’s hearty and sharp. Kinda love it actually. I dunno how I’ll use it but really nice of him to do that!

Attachments

• 43878AFC-D600-4D0F-99EA-0E4635E330D8.jpg
      43878AFC-D600-4D0F-99EA-0E4635E330D8.jpg
      118.8 KB · Views: 501

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Coworker got me this little Betty. Don’t know anything about it but it’s hearty and sharp. Kinda love it actually. I dunno how I’ll use it but really nice of him to do that!

Damn, must be nice to work with people like that. The only thing anyone's ever given me at work is attitude...

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Does anyone know the use of the two small knives? Chop with the kukri, then trim my nails?

The kukri is sharp. Ram told how fast a trained user can attack.

I am curious as well. What are the small knives for?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I am curious as well. What are the small knives for?

One of them is usually a sharpening steel; also spark generator for tinder sometimes.

Often there's a little utility knife as well. I've seen a "utility kukri" which was the 19th century Gurkha equivalent of a multi-tool; had four or five little tools in the pouch behind the big blade. If I can find a pic I'll post it eventually.

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    As promised:
    What the seller had to say -
    An interesting, early 20 C. khukuri Knife / Dagger from Nepal that comes with seven accessories: Small knives ( Kardas) and other small implements. These type of Khukuri were used by villages handymen to perform all kind of small repair jobs (some say that medical treatment as well). Well forged blade with ridged spine 12 inches long with brass bolster. Good, decorated original leather scabbard with many pockets for all accessories. Very good plus condition. Few accessories are missing.

Attachments

• Handyman kukri 2.jpg
      Handyman kukri 2.jpg
      30.1 KB · Views: 400
    • Handyman kukri.jpg
      Handyman kukri.jpg
      27.3 KB · Views: 393
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads