• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Another one day event, so we only need a few people.

MSI will be at the Takoma Park Folk Festival, Sunday 8 Sep, 10 AM to 6 PM

Location is Takoma park Middle School, 7611 Piney Branch Road

10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
    1. ShafTed

2:00 PM to 6:00 PM
    1. ShafTed

If you can help, please send email to: events at marylandshallissue dot org

Volunteer primer here: https://www.marylandshallissue.org/...ry/4-public-documents/56-msi-show-primer-2018

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    Another one day event, so we only need a few people.

MSI will be at the Takoma Park Folk Festival, Sunday 8 Sep, 10 AM to 6 PM

Location is Takoma park Middle School, 7611 Piney Branch Road

10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
    1. ShafTed

2:00 PM to 6:00 PM
    1. ShafTed

If you can help, please send email to: events at marylandshallissue dot org

Volunteer primer here: https://www.marylandshallissue.org/...ry/4-public-documents/56-msi-show-primer-2018

Wow. Talk about going into the lion's den...

Good luck and be prepared for pushback.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Wow. Talk about going into the lion's den...

Good luck and be prepared for pushback.

That is where the pro 2A message needs to be pushed. Few folks from Takoma Park are coming here to learn about the history of and continued relevance of firearms in this country. All they get is the bad news on guns, because bad news drives viewership and media dollars.

I urge anyone who can attend to show up and volunteer. Shafted lives very very far from Takoma park, yet he continually makes the effort to spread the word, yes, sometimes in the very heart of the lions den.

Thank you Shafted for doing so!

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    That is where the pro 2A message needs to be pushed. Few folks from Takoma Park are coming here to learn about the history of and continued relevance of firearms in this country. All they get is the bad news on guns, because bad news drives viewership and media dollars.

I urge anyone who can attend to show up and volunteer. Shafted lives very very far from Takoma park, yet he continually makes the effort to spread the word, yes, sometimes in the very heart of the lions den.

Thank you Shafted for doing so!

I completely agree and am very appreciative of all that MSI does for us. My post was not meant to diss the effort. To the contrary, I'm impressed at them going into what is known unfriendly territory.

You can bet that the vast majority of people at the Folk Fest are hard core antis and I would not be surprised if there are complaints, even protests, at MSI being there. Just be prepared.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    I completely agree and am very appreciative of all that MSI does for us. My post was not meant to diss the effort.

I didnt take it as a "diss." I merely intended to second your sentiment. I'm glad MSI is branching out from gun shows. Folks already at gun shows are the "choir." The 2A community needs to grow itself. This is best done by wooing the fence sitters.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    We routinely do community events like this, for example Beltsville and Towson. I don't remember where just now, but one time we were about 4 spaces down from the Moms Desperate for Attention so we're used to having "the opppoistion" around.

Specific to TP, we (MSI) have apparently been there before, I got an email from the event organizers inviting us to come back for this one, so here we are!

Now, who's on board for the fun & games?

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    MSI Mark quoted in Pew story on ERPO's.

Still, some gun rights activists reject the laws flat out. Mark Pennak, president of Maryland Shall Issue, a gun rights group that has opposed many of the recent gun control measures adopted in the state, including a ban on bump stocks and the red flag law, said he’s concerned about future abuses, including officers taking away guns “just to be sure.”

“My concerns have gotten worse,” Pennak said. “People are being legally traumatized.”

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/resear...04/red-flag-laws-spur-debate-over-due-process

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    My errands are done, I'll be heading that way in a little bit.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    We're about 15min from the area , what's a good parking strategy ? Nighborhoo , shopping area, or shuttle bus ?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Despite strong reservations about "outing" myself in my neighborhood, where I have little trust in the tolerance of the locals, and even less in the ERPO legislation, I put in four hours at the venue. I have to say it was not nearly as bad as I'd expected, though it did get occasionally irritating. A few dozen sessions at Chantilly and other places did not really prepare me for preaching my gospel to the heathens; gun shows are a "safe" venue, where no one is really flat-out against you.

That said, I do think that MSI should look into a different banner for this type of affair. There were regular episodes of the locals sneering and laughing at the lady with the pistol and child. This does not, apparently, win over the anti crowd. My seat of the pants suggestion would feature Katie and perhaps the young lady who gave the presentation yesterday, along with Katie's iconic sign regarding 2A vs Feminist Movement. That might spark a few of their dendrites, and possibly open both a discussion and a new neuronic pathway.

Overall we did sign up a few folks, and were generally well received. I'm glad I put aside my (legitimate) paranoia; I've long known that confronting your fears is the only way to overcome them, but sometimes it's tough. Hell, it's always tough.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Glad to have you there Bob A !

Yes , it is a different environment than a gun show , but this is a good thing ! This is how we reach out to people we don't normally have access .

No we won't convert the Demanding Mommies two booths away . But :

1. A number of people we spoke with had interesting exchanges , and there were a handfull of gun people.

2. Simply by being there next to the Demanding Mommies , we are showing that there are two sides to the issue, and the Bloomberg puppets aren't the the obvious no-brainer solution .

Compared to her experiences with an un named 2A group with no connection to MSI , the daughter ( previously known here as Biggfootette , but forevermore to be known as Littlefoot44 ) was pleasantly surprised that nobody flipped the bird, or cursed her .

I had cold shoulders, and being ignored, but no verbal attacks .

Everyone is encouraged to volunteer with MSI generally . Community based events are FUN , albeit places like Leonardtown, Beltsville, or Bowie are a warm up before Takoma Park . And great to have the lovely Ms E ( no MDS handle yet ) and Littlefoot44 representing .

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Good seeing our un-named first timer, Bob A and DBlas today. Sorry i missed the Bigfoots. With the drive, 10 to 2 was all i could do today.

Was quite a good time. I enjoy the opportunity to reach out to the fence sitters. Thats where the action is.

Is a shame that Andrea Chamblee felt the need to draw so much attention to herself by hogging the space in front of the booth. I feel for her. If only her husband had been armed, she might still have him.

In Takoma Park, heart of the MoCo antis, i personally got two folks to actually lay down money and join MSI. Calling that a victory.....

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Good seeing our un-named first timer, Bob A and DBlas today. Sorry i missed the Bigfoots. With the drive, 10 to 2 was all i could do today.

Was quite a good time. I enjoy the opportunity to reach out to the fence sitters. Thats where the action is.

Is a shame that Andrea Chamblee felt the need to draw so much attention to herself by hogging the space in front of the booth. I feel for her. If only her husband had been armed, she might still have him.

In Takoma Park, heart of the MoCo antis, i personally got two folks to actually lay down money and join MSI. Calling that a victory.....

Interestingly enough my conversation with her sister-in-law, who is the State coordinator for MOM's, was very easy to talk to and have an actual conversation with. When I left her and Littlefoot44 were having a conversation, I am assuming along the same civil lines as I had.

This was pretty much what I expected, those that had questions would ask, those that supported us would comment, and those that didn't wouldn't come anywhere near us, or give us the time of day.

College Park Day is October 5, but sad to say I won't be back in time from vacation for that one in my city.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Littlefoot44 reports a pleasant and civil dialog .

Sorry to miss you AOB , he had our early commitment , and left out of St Marys at noon. We must have just missed you .

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 5.08.09 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 5.08.09 AM.jpg
      77.3 KB · Views: 261
    • Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 5.08.20 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 5.08.20 AM.jpg
      54.3 KB · Views: 275

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    "Killed them with background check data"?

IMO, spending much time with these folks is wasting opportunities to engage with more open minds. No conversions will be forthcoming, and attempting to demonstrate reasonable engagement will not be perceived in the way one might hope.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015

It's nearly impossible to carry on a conversation with people who are so ideologically immersed that they have no compunction about outright lying, or are so brainwashed or delusional that they do not realize that their lies are in fact, lies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom