• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I’ve been toying with the idea of taking the RSO course to become a RSO part time. What do y’all think the chances of me actually getting a part time gig doing this? lol. I do work a full time job with Howard county so it can only we a part time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I say go for it, regardless of whether or not it becomes "profitable." It would look good on any resume, even just one of life skills.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****I'm an NRA certified RSO and CRSO, and work mostly weekend events as well as helping to teach several NRA basic instruction classes several times per year - it's not my day job as I'm only a volunteer and only get cookies and occasionally donuts and gooey pizza for my efforts.

Even though you may be able to take the course online, I would strongly suggest you take a brick and mortar course with live instruction. A good class taught by live instructors can answer any and all questions regarding typical SOP procedures as well as insure you know proper range commands, scoring, setting up an event or new range, etc..

Also, things you really need to know in terms of insuring safe and proper range etiquette, dealing with interpersonal issues that can crop up from time to time, etc... No way the online class is a substitute for a real live class if you want to actually use your skills and certification. Being an RSO, or running an event isn't so much about shooting per se, but of keeping everyone safe and on the same page with respect to the SOP of the range, the event being run, and other significant considerations.

Most "accidents" on the range happen for one of two reasons: ignorance and/or carelessness. There are things that a live course with some range time, and instructors watching you demonstrate skills can provide that an online course cannot. It takes time on the range being an RSO to really learn what to focus on, and to keep things running smoothly and safely so that everyone has a good, safe time and goes home without extra holes in their bodies, etc.. Everyone makes mistakes, and a decent RSO certification course with some live instruction can point out mistakes *you* are making that you had no clue were happening, and are pointed out by your instructors, and/or more experienced RSO's, etc... This is especially true on larger events where you may be responsible for a small cadre of shooters and need to communicate to the CRSO running an event that the line/event, etc.. is ready to proceed as you are their eyes and ears and relay important info that only you can see from your line of sight/perspective, etc..

I'm only pointing this out as I have seen several avoidable accidents at ranges over the years that could have perhaps been handled better, or at least dealt with more properly had the RSO had better training.

I've done significant online training for my day job, as continuing education, and it certainly beats the hassle of going to a formal class. However, this is for a subject I already have significant experience in, as opposed to being fresh out of college or never having worked in the field, etc..

Dealing with firearms, and perhaps working with the public with varying skill levels related to firearms presents special challenges that I feel can only be taught in a more formal classroom/range setting for an aspiring RSO.

Just my opinion on this.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I agree with the sentiment above, if hands on training is available to you, go for that. I worked for 2 1/2 years part time as an RSO and it was an eye opener. People just do stuff that you can’t make up. I finally quit when an incident happened to another RSO, no injuries, everything turned out fine. However part of the reason it turned out fine was because of how quickly the RSO reacted. I did some reflection then about my increasingly troublesome back and decided that, even if I could move as quickly (which I almost certainly couldn’t) I’d probably regret it for months afterward and so felt like I shouldn’t be there. I really enjoyed working with 99% of the shooters I met as well as fellow staff.

radnor

Jan 31, 2010
    Delaware
    One of the RSO classes I had when the students we presenting their scenerios they put a little twist on it. It added to "what could happen". I agree with hands on class. Plus with the hands on, YOU will get to load/unload lots of actions some you may not have seen,

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I would recommend taking the class in person as well. The discussion with others was quite helpful in addressing "what if" scenarios, as well as getting you to think both within the range plan and outside the box in a more hypothetical situation.

Jimdick2949

Aug 19, 2014
    Frostburg, Maryland
    I totally agree. You can’t beat a live class with AC CRSO. When I teach the course I use several experienced RSO and that brings a wealth of knowledge together. Nothing like doing live senecio’s a house have students work through problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom