• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    There are a lot of "prophylactic," Second Amendment-infringing bills proposed this MGA session that are promoted by sponsors as "common sense" (as if our and their predecessors for over 200 years didn't have any, and they are the Enlightened Ones).

We sometimes identify their proposals as a "solution looking for a problem."

When giving testimony and communicating with Members, do we unnecessarily dignify their increasingly hair-brained schemes by even using the word "solution"? These proposed bills aren't "solutions" for crime, accidents, or suicides by gun; they're emotion-driven assaults on what too many in the MGA deem to be an outdated relic in the Bill of Rights -- the Second Amendment itself.

Is there some other way we could refer to stupid, nonsensical, illogical and sometimes idiotic legislation such as the terror watch list bill, the toy firearms bill, the antique firearms bill, and others, besides calling them a "solution looking for a problem"? They are solutions to nothing. All those legislative proposals do is provide false hope, and worse, when they fail it gives rise to calls for even more gun control.

How about calling them what they are, e.g., "nonsensical" or something similar, even "idiotic" to their sponsors' faces and colleagues? Why not call it what it really is?

Alinsky, Democrats, and Trump know what works: Mockery and ridicule of ridiculous ideas. Otherwise, we're legitimizing them.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    The IN in "infringement...

There are a lot of "prophylactic," Second Amendment-infringing bills proposed this MGA session that are promoted by sponsors as "common sense" (as if our and their predecessors for over 200 years didn't have any, and they are the Enlightened Ones).

When giving testimony and communicating with Members, do we unnecessarily dignify their increasingly hair-brained schemes by even using the word "solution"? These proposed bills aren't "solutions" for crime, accidents, or suicides by gun; they're emotion-driven assaults on what too many in the MGA deem to be an outdated relic in the Bill of Rights -- the Second Amendment itself.

Is there some other way we could refer to stupid, nonsensical, illogical and sometimes idiotic legislation such as the terror watch list bill, the toy firearms bill, the antique firearms bill, and others, besides calling them a "solution looking for a problem"? They are solutions to nothing. All those legislative proposals do is provide false hope, and worse, when they fail it gives rise to calls for even more gun control.

How about calling them what they are, e.g., "nonsensical" or something similar, even "idiotic" to their sponsors' faces and colleagues? Why not call it what it really is?

Alinsky, Democrats, and Trump know what works: Mockery and ridicule of ridiculous ideas. Otherwise, we're legitimizing them.

I get what you are suggesting. I concur.

These multiple, seemingly harmless bills/legislation are absolutely the "camel's nose IN the tent."

They are absolutely the first step IN chiseling away at the Second Amendment rights.

It's their foot IN the liberal progressive values door. It's their way IN to the average citizen's psyche.

It's your collective slide IN to the legal logic sewer.

They are what's INside the Trojan Horse. They are what's going to draw lots of attention and time and energy away from what's already a Constitutionally unacceptable situation. They're swarming you with multiple targets to reduce the limited resources you might bring to bear on the original problem.

It's not an illogical strategy for them...

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I get what you are suggesting. I concur.

These multiple, seemingly harmless bills/legislation are absolutely the "camel's nose IN the tent."

They are absolutely the first step IN chiseling away at the Second Amendment rights.

It's their foot IN the liberal progressive values door. It's their way IN to the average citizen's psyche.

It's your collective slide IN to the legal logic sewer.

They are what's INside the Trojan Horse. They are what's going to draw lots of attention and time and energy away from what's already a Constitutionally unacceptable situation. They're swarming you with multiple targets to reduce the limited resources you might bring to bear on the original problem.

It's not an illogical strategy for them...

We shouldn't even let them associate these bills with "common sense." There's nothing common sense about them. Respecting and protecting the Bill of Rights, all of it, is common sense.

Edit: Moreover, there's no "common sense" test of Constitutionality that any court has devised, that I'm aware of. Anything that's "common sense" ought to be able to pass "strict scrutiny", and Frosh shouldn't complain if strict scrutiny is applied to anything that's passed based on "common sense," right?

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I have a dream . . .

And, I believe the words you are looking for may be . . .

Irrational . . . and / or . . . Delusional

Best o' Sucess!

- From not-so-deep in the foothills to the Smokies, WNC (formerly from southern Calvert Co., MD)!

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013

Excellent post OP and I generally concur. Debatable ideas are one thing, but stupid and moronic, and likely disingenuous pretext, are altogether different.

The 2A FB page posted up regarding the toy gun ban. I called it like it is, anyone that sponsored or supported it is a special kind of stupid period. No nice way to say it. Later someone posted that Steve Waugh had withdrawn his support based on dialogue from several members here, and while I appreciate his change, Waugh can't get passed the fact he supported one of the dumbest damn pieces of legislation I have ever read. We need to hold everyone of these people accountable or they will be right back at the anti 2A well next session.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    We shouldn't even let them associate these bills with "common sense." There's nothing common sense about them. Respecting and protecting the Bill of Rights, all of it, is common sense.

Edit: Moreover, there's no "common sense" test of Constitutionality that any court has devised, that I'm aware of. Anything that's "common sense" ought to be able to pass "strict scrutiny", and Frosh shouldn't complain if strict scrutiny is applied to anything that's passed based on "common sense," right?

To be able to claim something is "common sense" would require the one claiming it to ACTUALLY HAVE common sense. Most of the MGA does not qualify to be able to do that because they DON'T HAVE common sense.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Excellent post OP and I generally concur. Debatable ideas are one thing, but stupid and moronic, and likely disingenuous pretext, are altogether different.

The 2A FB page posted up regarding the toy gun ban. I called it like it is, anyone that sponsored or supported it is a special kind of stupid period. No nice way to say it. Later someone posted that Steve Waugh had withdrawn his support based on dialogue from several members here, and while I appreciate his change, Waugh can't get passed the fact he supported one of the dumbest damn pieces of legislation I have ever read. We need to hold everyone of these people accountable or they will be right back at the anti 2A well next session.

Thank you.

I've noticed a disturbing trend from the Left, particularly in the past 7 years at the national level, but became aware of it in MD with FSA2013: They will propose a crazy idea or bill in the most voluminous, complex, and convoluted manner possible so as to impede or prevent any rational analysis or discussion, dump an absolute sh*tstorm of irrelevancies, half-truths, and lies in support of it, choke off debate, and claim that it's just common sense solutions to solve a crisis that nobody else will address.

-They did it with Dodd-Frank and took over the banking system, to our detriment, requiring the Fed to carry the economy on life support..

-They did it with Obamacare, taking over 16% of the economy and ruining the world's best health care system.

-They did it with FSA2013 in Maryland, with a law that hasn't saved one single life, and hasn't solved or prevented a single crime that couldn't have been solved or prevented without it, yet deprives tens of thousands of people of their Constitutional rights, and worries law abiding citizens that they might be accidental criminals by violating one of its hypertechnical, poorly worded, and subtle provisions.

These idiotic ideas need to be called what they are, and those who propose them need to be exposed to everyone for what they are.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Over reaching and misdirected are more descriptive of some of these bills. Attempting to address an isolated incident with a broad restriction of an inanimate object rather than taking the admittedly longer and harder road of dealing with the root causes of the issue at hand is the height of legislative incompetence.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I don't think Frosh, Busch, and Miller are stupid. I think they are fairly intelligent men. I do think some members of the GA have severely limited mental capacity. I believe the leadership knows some of these bills are just plain stupid, but don't care as long as there are anti-gun. I believe that's why they label them as "common sense". They don't want the average person to read or pay attention to what's in them. By saying they are "common sense" they are being condescending to anyone who may object, therefore the masses will just agree.

We need to take away this "tool" of there's every chance we get. Turn "common sense" into no sense.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    The way I see it, the phrase "common sense" is usually applied to things that are so simple to understand that thinking is not required. For instance, it's common sense that you shouldn't stick your hand in a fire. Everyone understands it, and if you question it, you must be stupid.

When an opponent insists his position is "common sense," he is really calling his challengers stupid. Folks sitting on the fence on an issue may tend not to push back because they don't want to appear to be stupid for questioning something that is clear, that is common sense.

Well, Constitutional issues are important issues, often complex issues, and thought, even deep thought, is required. Claiming they are common sense matters, and thus simple and universally understood, is not the case.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    The way I see it, the phrase "common sense" is usually applied to things that are so simple to understand that thinking is not required. For instance, it's common sense that you shouldn't stick your hand in a fire. Everyone understands it, and if you question it, you must be stupid.

When an opponent insists his position is "common sense," he is really calling his challengers stupid. Folks sitting on the fence on an issue may tend not to push back because they don't want to appear to be stupid for questioning something that is clear, that is common sense.

Well, Constitutional issues are important issues, often complex issues, and thought, even deep thought, is required. Claiming they are common sense matters, and thus simple and universally understood, is not the case.

Exactly my point! Just stated differently. :thumbsup:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

That, my friend, is exactly right.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I don't think Frosh, Busch, and Miller are stupid. I think they are fairly intelligent men. I do think some members of the GA have severely limited mental capacity. I believe the leadership knows some of these bills are just plain stupid, but don't care as long as there are anti-gun. I believe that's why they label them as "common sense". They don't want the average person to read or pay attention to what's in them. By saying they are "common sense" they are being condescending to anyone who may object, therefore the masses will just agree.

We need to take away this "tool" of there's every chance we get. Turn "common sense" into no sense.
    Did you maybe mean turn "common sense" into "nonsense"??????

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom