• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    A few weeks ago I used a 15% off coupon to buy a 2x72 belt grinder kit from Ebay. The kit was $425 after the coupon. Today I repurposed a 20yr old treadmill motor and variable speed drive. The hardest part was that I had to power up the motor to grind down the shaft to fit the drive pulley, then make a reverse threaded custom retaining nut.

I still have to finish making the work table and knife jig. By this weekend I should be able to finish the control panel, with some other salvaged parts and I plan on 3D printing a vacuum shroud to attach below the work table.

Should be grinding some new knives soon.

3918f8b58e3359923f0a39e75ec24f2c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Super cool. A 2x72 belt grinder has been on my list for awhile now.

About 2 weeks ag I was looking for a used KBAC speed controller. I happened upon a speed controller, motor and grinder frame. Scratch and dent. $430. Now I just need a tool arm and tension/tracking arm.

This is what I got.

Attachments

• 20190103_164843.jpg
      20190103_164843.jpg
      58.7 KB · Views: 705
    • 20190103_164830.jpg
      20190103_164830.jpg
      66.2 KB · Views: 702

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Super cool. A 2x72 belt grinder has been on my list for awhile now.

About 2 weeks ag I was looking for a used KBAC speed controller. I happened upon a speed controller, motor and grinder frame. Scratch and dent. $430. Now I just need a tool arm and tension/tracking arm.

This is what I got.

That’s a nice score, it should work great.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Wicked.

The great length allows the media to cool? Or why so big?

2x72 seems to be a sort of knife makers standard size. The longer belt simple removes material more evenly, and faster at a slower machine speed vs. a 1x36 sander. The larger platen also allows you to position the work in more angles.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Wicked.

2x72 seems to be a sort of knife makers standard size. The longer belt simple removes material more evenly, and faster at a slower machine speed vs. a 1x36 sander. The larger platen also allows you to position the work in more angles.

As ToolAA stated above and it also has a lot of surface area so belts do not become loaded as fast. (More surface area means they last longer). Also there are many options in belt grit , abrasive type and belt material in this size. And its popularity keeps the prices down

I'm moving up from a 1x42, I can bog it down with with little effort. I'll be going from a 1/3hp to a 2hp motor.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    As has been stated, the long belt doesn't wear as fast (lasts longer) since there is 2x as much grinding material to start vs a 36" belt.

I have one I built. Did a direct drive using a 3600rpm JM(?) long shaft 3hp pump motor. That avoided the typical pulleys and pillowblock bearings. It's a metal removal beast. I'll dig up a video I took when I first got it running.

AA, if you need help making a nut or anything send me a msg.

Last edited:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    As has been stated, the long belt doesn't wear as fast (lasts longer) since there is 2x as much gringing material to start vs a 36" belt.

I have one I built. Did a direct drive using a 3600rpm JM(?) long shaft 2hp pump motor. That avoided the typical pulleys and pillowblock bearings. It's a metal removal beast. I'll dig up a video I took when I first got it running.

Thanks for the offer. I actually purchased a reverse thread Hex Coupling. Then threaded it to to the shaft. Then with the motor on, proceeded to grind it to shape using a file and various sand papers. It ended up being .620-.623 dia. I was quite proud of my poor-mans mini lathe.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Here is the video I took of it when I was first able to power on. Got the platten and wheels from Beaumont/KMG.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Thanks for the offer. I actually purchased a reverse thread Hex Coupling. Then threaded it to to the shaft. Then with the motor on, proceeded to grind it to shape using a file and various sand papers. It ended up being .620-.623 dia. I was quite proud of my poor-mans mini lathe.

As has been stated, the long belt doesn't wear as fast (lasts longer) since there is 2x as much gringing material to start vs a 36" belt.

I have one I built. Did a direct drive using a 3600rpm JM(?) long shaft 2hp pump motor. That avoided the typical pulleys and pillowblock bearings. It's a metal removal beast. I'll dig up a video I took when I first got it running.

I like you guys.

bigcountry

Jan 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    I have a 1HP baldor and pulley setup on my oregon blademaker. I am upgrading right now to a Kbac 27d VFD and Baldor 2HP. So if you ever need another motor setup, let me know.

bigcountry

Jan 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    Wicked.

if you had a 1" X 30", belts wouldn't last long. Right now for me to make a knife, I go thru 4 belts, and for ceramic, thats $10 a piece. Longer the better.

I learned the hard way not to use worn belts to make a bevel. Kinda the same concept that a sharp knife is a safe knife. You have more control.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I cheated and just bought a Grzzily for dad for Christmas. With coupon on Ebay it was 525 before shipping.

The major problem w/ the Grizzly is that its only 3600 sfm and can't be changed due to the single phase motor. Belt grinding metal really needs to get to 5000-8000 sfm. Wood needs to be much slower. But it works *WAY* better than no grinder at all and the price is good for new.:thumbsup:

A three wheel type grinder also allows you to independently change platten type, wheel diameter (for hollow grinds), and wheel cut pattern w/o changing the drive wheel (which needs to be domed for self tracking) or affecting belt speed. Two wheel grinders have compromises.

FWIW, Here is info from Norton: Page 13 gets into belt speeds. (1m/s = 197 sfpm) It has lots of other useful belt info too.
    https://www.nortonabrasives.com/sga...Industrial_technical_data_health_safety_8.pdf

bigcountry

Jan 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    Yea, but 95% of knife makers will never graduate to hollow grinds and the rest. I have over $2000 invested in my grinder. I am lucky to have the opportunity to have the bells and whistles. But I can do 90% of my work on a grizzly. I have seen a bunch of knives screwed up on 3600 sfm with 50grit belts.

The major problem w/ the Grizzly is that its only 3600 sfm and can't be changed due to the single phase motor. Belt grinding metal really needs to get to 5000-8000 sfm. Wood needs to be much slower. But it works *WAY* better than no grinder at all and the price is good for new.:thumbsup:

A three wheel type grinder also allows you to independently change platten type, wheel diameter (for hollow grinds), and wheel cut pattern w/o changing the drive wheel (which needs to be domed for self tracking) or affecting belt speed. Two wheel grinders have compromises.

FWIW, Here is info from Norton: Page 13 gets into belt speeds. (1m/s = 197 sfpm) It has lots of other useful belt info too.
    https://www.nortonabrasives.com/sga...Industrial_technical_data_health_safety_8.pdf

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Understood, but AA is building and not buying. I was pointing out the advantages of the 3-wheel he's building. I have $621 in the mechanicals (incl flat platten, $213 small wheel grinding attachment w/ 2 small wheels, + 1 large wheel) and $281 in the electronics. So I have a 3hp 3-wheel w/ several attachments (unnecessary for knives) for $902 (All in 2010 dollars.) It will save time, get finer finish, make belts last longer, and do other materials easier. As I said the Grizzly is a good machine for the money. You can do a lot with it. You can see where building one like AA can get a nicer machine for similar/less money.
    FWIW, I don't make knifes. I sometimes lament the fact that my two biggest grinders are currently hidden behind a large machine in the garage. :( They are huge time savers and I wouldn't want to be without one. For general metal working its one of those 'how did I go so long without it' type of tools.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Understood, but AA is building and not buying. I was pointing out the advantages of the 3-wheel he's building. I have $621 in the mechanicals (incl flat platten, $213 small wheel grinding attachment w/ 2 small wheels, + 1 large wheel) and $281 in the electronics. So I have a 3hp 3-wheel w/ several attachments (unnecessary for knives) for $902 (All in 2010 dollars.)

For now I’m about $540 in parts total considering the salvaged motor. However I do think I’m going to get a 10” rubber wheel eventually.

What do you use the grinding attachment with the 2 small wheels for? I’ve seem them on ebay.

Also my salvage project box is too small for the power supply so I had to put that part on hold tonight. I decided to design a dust collector which will attach to the bottom of the work platen and wrap around the bottom pulley. Hopefully it will capture most of the dust.

55b9e3e1351a12783e92106e4662198d.jpg

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Small wheel adapter was to fishmouth tubing for roll cages and bicycle frames. I have never actually used that adapter as my building more of those has been few/far between since I built the grinder.

You 3D printing that collector? I think anything plastic will be a serious fire hazard. See my video as to the sheer volume of sparks generated. It'll burn through non leather shoes if you aren't careful. W/ dust collection, also be careful mixing and aluminum and steel too. Thermite will build up in the system and can be set off by grinding sparks.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Small wheel adapter was to fishmouth tubing for roll cages and bicycle frames. I have never actually used that adapter as my building more of those has been few/far between since I built the grinder.

You 3D printing that collector? I think anything plastic will be a serious fire hazard. See my video as to the sheer volume of sparks generated. It'll burn through non leather shoes if you aren't careful. W/ dust collection, also be careful mixing and aluminum and steel too. Thermite will build up in the system and can be set off by grinding sparks.

I was planning on 3d printing it. However now it looks like I should just bend a cover out of sheet metal.

I have a small cyclone can before my actual shop vac but after your remarks I may need to rethink how I’m going to be able to catch some of the dust without creating a fire hazard.

Thanks for posting that warning!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom