• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • b_cabbell

Jan 9, 2019
    Hughesville
    Hello,

As you can see I am rather new here (yeah I intro'd myself this week)

So, I received my HQL today, and I have a Canik TP9 Elite Combat on purchase which I will receive in about a week.

Now, I do own rifles and have shot handguns before. To get my HQL quicker I did the Hunter Ed training exempt HQL, but I had already signed up for the HQL class, which I go to this Saturday the 19th. (I will be going)

I have some questions regarding this class and training/other classes etc.

Is there additional learning I should look into that is not in the scope of this class that all gun owners should know?

Also, is there other types of classes/training offered, I am sure there is but if possible could anyone recommend something or give a list of what there is?

I have read bad training can be worse than no training, so is there anything you learned in a class, or basically anything I should be weary of, any mistakes you made as a beginner.. Any tips in this area if you follow what I am getting at, stuff you may have done that you were not taught but wish you were at the time that you think all beginners should know.

-----

I know a lot of this stuff can be searched for, but I was kind of curious of anecdotal experience, personal opinion, and stories from people that can tell me stuff when they were new that can assist me in being safe and learning to do things right.

OldNavyVet

Mar 1, 2018
    Charles County
    For myself my first exposure to handguns was military service 50 years ago. Taught their way of doing things and never even gave it a second thought. It took me years to understand that there are tried and true basics but there are also variables. Hand size, strength and size of gun are not the same for all. What works for my grip may not work for you. Then remember that your body also changes. My site picture becomes out of focus quickly due to age now. I find it difficult to focus on front sight without the gun moving off target. The point is that take all the training you can but adapt to what works for you.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Totally agree with Navy vet. Take the training, adapt as needed and practice practice practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b_cabbell

Jan 9, 2019
    Hughesville
    Appreciate the responses guys. That's why I am going to take the training anyway. That and its paid for, but I know I will learn many things there which I look forward to. I guess I should purchase a large amount of ammo for the new gun. Any suggestions on some 9mm ammo to just put through and practice with?

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    Excellent, insightful questions. This is a topic near and dear to me. Here are some key points I think new shooters should know:
    1) Shooting is not hard. Get the sights aligned on target and work the trigger without disturbing the sights and you’ll hit the target every time. That’s it.
    2) Vet the training and instructor. There is bad info, old info, and some ego out there. Temple indexing, crouching/hunching over, and swinging your head side-to-side do not help to make you a better shooter.
    The sooner you can separate the BS from the useful info the better you’ll be.
    Finally, if you need help getting rounds on target I’d be glad to help.
    Respectfully,
    —Ken

Hello,

As you can see I am rather new here (yeah I intro'd myself this week)

So, I received my HQL today, and I have a Canik TP9 Elite Combat on purchase which I will receive in about a week.

Now, I do own rifles and have shot handguns before. To get my HQL quicker I did the Hunter Ed training exempt HQL, but I had already signed up for the HQL class, which I go to this Saturday the 19th. (I will be going)

I have some questions regarding this class and training/other classes etc.

Is there additional learning I should look into that is not in the scope of this class that all gun owners should know?

Also, is there other types of classes/training offered, I am sure there is but if possible could anyone recommend something or give a list of what there is?

I have read bad training can be worse than no training, so is there anything you learned in a class, or basically anything I should be weary of, any mistakes you made as a beginner.. Any tips in this area if you follow what I am getting at, stuff you may have done that you were not taught but wish you were at the time that you think all beginners should know.

-----

I know a lot of this stuff can be searched for, but I was kind of curious of anecdotal experience, personal opinion, and stories from people that can tell me stuff when they were new that can assist me in being safe and learning to do things right.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Take a look at action shooting sports like USPSA or IDPA. Many clubs offer/require an intro class to shoot the at their club. Then go observe and start to slowly get into shooting matches. Talk to the guys that are good and you will get all the info you need to become a very competent shooter and gun handler.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    A lot will depend on why you bought the gun to begin with. Just for plinking/fun? Self defense? Competition? While there is plenty of crossover between disciplines, there are certain things I'd recommend for a person with one goal versus others, or at least in a different hierarchy of priorities. For example, for self defense, I would want to get some training in the LEGAL aspects of self defense. Knowing when you can and cannot shoot someone is more important than HOW to shoot someone. Massad Ayoob's MAG 20 or MAG 40 classes are well-regarded options here, though there are others.

I am a bit of a training junkie, so feel free to contact me via PM, or right here in the thread if you think others would benefit, for more info.

b_cabbell

Jan 9, 2019
    Hughesville
    Wow these are great answers and I can see the merit to each of them. I think competition could be an option but definately I think will be down the road. Self defense, fun/plinking and some range is ideal as of the moment. And I am def into learning the law on firearms, definately maryland laws specifically as well. This is something I have already been trying to do. (im a system administrator so im a research nut) and some of the first things i have been looking into is laws regarding self defense at home etc.

I appreciate the tips guys. I am glad I could come here and get insight and actually feel very welcome.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One option is BSR out at Summit Point in WV.

They opened up their firearms training to civilians a couple of years ago. They train a number of government agencies, both initial training and follow on. And also work with several high end gov groups.

They have 1, 2, and 3 day handgun (and carbine) classes. Bring your own, or rent from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom