• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    What bullets are you guys using for cheap .300 subs? I can't seem to find anything like really cheap FMJ. Im not going to start casting right now either.

bigcountry

Jan 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    You can order some cast. Beartooth is one. really cheap. I cast. But I feel ya, shooting 208 Amax or 220gr matchkings out of blackout can be expensive.

duffball

Jan 6, 2017
    Harford County
    Here's a few of the cheaper ones i've tried:

* Gallant 217gr ($0.13 each) - https://gallantbullets.com/collections/30-caliber/products/308-217gr-boat-tail

These go on sale maybe 1-2 times a quarter for closer to 10c/each.
    No issues with the powder coat flaking off or any gas cutting.
    Quality control is a little spotty, I reccommend getting a lee sizing die and sizing them to .309, Lube the bullets before pushing them through the sizing die.

* Rainier 180gr ($0.13 each) - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...bsonic-180-grain-plated-round-nose-flat-point

If you buy these from midway on your birthday week you can shave off a penny or two per unit, 250 packs will qualify for free shipping but 1k packs will not.
    Biggest issue with these is feeding, the blunt nose can be tricky to find a good OAL that feeds well.
    For my gun I had to seat them pretty long, powder burn wasnt great, putting a medium crimp on them helped get a better burn.

* Pulled SP 180gr ($0.20 each) - https://americanreloading.com/en/30-caliber-308/1992-308-180gr-jsp-500ct.html

These go on sale 25%-40% off a couple times a month usually.
    If you wait for the sales this is the cheapest source of jacketed bullets I've found.
    These can be used for cheap 308win plinkers too, if you want a dual purpose bullet.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    These are my go to projectiles for subsonic .300AAC (Formerly Leatherhead Bullets)
    https://gallantbullets.com/collections/30-caliber/products/308-217gr-boat-tail

Got some of these just the other day.

Took about 3 weeks to get here.

When they did arrive I got a mixed box of their boat tails and 225 flat base.

Quality.....

The boat tails that I got were pretty consistent, no voids and all pretty straight.

The 225’s were crap.

Voids in the sides, some even had the noses bent/ bullets not even straight.

None of the bases are flat, stand them on the bench and they all lean to the side.

I got them because I ran out of the leatherheads, saw they were bought out/merged. But it’s not the same product control.

Got some of these just the other day.

Took about 3 weeks to get here.

When they did arrive I got a mixed box of their boat tails and 225 flat base.

Quality.....

The boat tails that I got were pretty consistent, no voids and all pretty straight.

The 225’s were crap.

Voids in the sides, some even had the noses bent/ bullets not even straight.

None of the bases are flat, stand them on the bench and they all lean to the side.

I got them because I ran out of the leatherheads, saw they were bought out/merged. But it’s not the same product control.

That is not good to know. I haven't bought any since the merge. Leatherheads were really good quality and priced right.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I love the 225 gr FB Polys Leatherheads in my 300 Blk. Best shooting coateds I've been able to try. I did have to size mine(which they said shouldn't need to be done), otherwise they failed my Sheridan case gauge. My 300 blk has a very tight neck(Rainier Ultramatch) as well.

I hope they get things figured out.

Patapsco

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 16, 2019
    What are you guys looking at cost per round for bullet + powder + primer?

I'm trying to price out the cost per round for subsonic 300 blk. I'll be using converted 556 brass and probably H110. Obviously the bullet will dominate cost.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    What are you guys looking at cost per round for bullet + powder + primer?

I'm trying to price out the cost per round for subsonic 300 blk. I'll be using converted 556 brass and probably H110. Obviously the bullet will dominate cost.

Using IMR4227 with stsndard SR primers, Ranier Copper Plated projectiles I am about .185/rnd.

That’s assuming my time is worth 0, which usually seems appropriate.

Patapsco

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 16, 2019
    If I can dial in a good recipe then I'll leave the progressive set up for 300 blk and only occasionally take it down for the bolt gun cartridges. Hopefully the time per cartridge becomes reasonable.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't waste time figuring out cost-per-round prices. It takes too much time, driving up cost...

:toothless

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I'm running the Berry's 220. They get below 20 cents a piece on sale and I've had good results. I'm not going to bother expanding necks to shoot cast and coated. I've also got 1000 or so Nosler ballistic tip 220s that I couldn't get to fly stable. Maybe I'll play with them again this summer.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    I've also got 1000 or so Nosler ballistic tip 220s that I couldn't get to fly stable. Maybe I'll play with them again this summer.

You too? I've got some Nosler RDF 210's that are all over the map as subs too. I used to use Sierra 220RN and those things were lights out even down to 900fps.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    You too? I've got some Nosler RDF 210's that are all over the map as subs too. I used to use Sierra 220RN and those things were lights out even down to 900fps.

Yeah and it's disappointing because statistically they look awesome for hunting subs and I'm a huge nosler fan in general. It's like 90% of my rifle loads. I'm hoping Hornady will start to sell just the bullet that they're currently loading into their 190gr sub x load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom