• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    Hey guys ,I just have a question about selling a rifle that I built to a close friend. I know for a fact that he is not a prohibited person . I have known him and his family since he was a little kid. I took him shooting a few times and he has become very fond of a heavy barrel rifle that I built on a stripped spikes lower a few years ago. He has asked me every time we go shooting to buy it. I told him that he could go buy a new one pretty easily but he likes this one and I would only charge him a few hundred bucks for it .Spikes lower. Never built into a pistol. Del Ton chromed lined 1/7 16" heavy barrel.troy11 " alpha rail. Toolcraft bcg. Ctr stock one 10 Rd mag. Magpul sights. Can I just sell it to him on a bill of sale? Or do I need to go to an FFL or state police barracks,,? Thanks to anyone that can give me some guidance.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Hey guys ,I just have a question about selling a rifle that I built to a close friend. I know for a fact that he is not a prohibited person . I have known him and his family since he was a little kid. I took him shooting a few times and he has become very fond of a heavy barrel rifle that I built on a stripped spikes lower a few years ago. He has asked me every time we go shooting to buy it. I told him that he could go buy a new one pretty easily but he likes this one and I would only charge him a few hundred bucks for it .Spikes lower. Never built into a pistol. Del Ton chromed lined 1/7 16" heavy barrel.troy11 " alpha rail. Toolcraft bcg. Ctr stock one 10 Rd mag. Magpul sights. Can I just sell it to him on a bill of sale? Or do I need to go to an FFL or state police barracks,,? Thanks to anyone that can give me some guidance.
    Not a regulated weapon as it is an HBAR rifle. You could sell via BOS. No requirement to sell via MSP like a handgun.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

chillman

Sep 20, 2012
    Annapolis
    I believe the lower is regulated regardless of what you built it into. Had you purchased it as an HBAR it would be different. Save yourself and your friend a lot of trouble and check with MSP or an FFL.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    I believe the lower is regulated regardless of what you built it into. Had you purchased it as an HBAR it would be different. Save yourself and your friend a lot of trouble and check with MSP or an FFL.
    So, I just logged into MSP portal (I am an FFL) and chatted with duty trooper. It would be legal to sell as an HBAR rifle without going through e77r process.

However, the lower stays in his name unless sold as a lower only. This would be why one wants a Bill of Sale and that would be a keeper for any potential issue down the road.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    No, lower needs to be transferred regardless of how you chose to build it.

Incorrect, if built as a rifle the entire rifle can be transferred face to face without either an FFL or MSP.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So, I just logged into MSP portal (I am an FFL) and chatted with duty trooper. It would be legal to sell as an HBAR rifle without going through e77r process.

However, the lower stays in his name unless sold as a lower only. This would be why one wants a Bill of Sale and that would be a keeper for any potential issue down the road.

MSP will ALWAYS show the lower listed to the builder, regardless of how many time it gets transferred. MSP does NOT remove any transactions from anyone's name, as it is a list of transactions of regulated firearms, not a list of regulated firearms you have owned.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Long guns can be sold face-to-face. No FFL intervention needed, no paperwork required.

Shake his hand and congratulate him on his new rifle. Bill of sale is optional.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Tomorrow I am picking up a 9mm AR from a guy at the gun club we are both members of and we also both happen to work for the same company.

I drafted up a very simple bill of sale stating our names, make,model,caliber,sn and one sentence declaring transfer of ownership from him to myself.

sign and date.

Probably overkill but just a CYA for myself so at any time in the future there is no question of ownership.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    I think it depends on how the lower receiver was registered at time of purchase. If it was registered as a pistol or other I am pretty positive that it will need to be transferred through an FFL or MDSP - if registered as a rifle, then you can do a FTF. I am not an expert, but that’s how I understand it. I register lower receivers as other so that I can configure it as a rifle or pistol as I see fit. One day a rifle, then the next day it is a 300BO with a 10.5 inch barrel and a silencer. Pretty cool.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    I think it depends on how the lower receiver was registered at time of purchase. If it was registered as a pistol or other I am pretty positive that it will need to be transferred through an FFL or MDSP - if registered as a rifle, then you can do a FTF. I am not an expert, but that’s how I understand it. I register lower receivers as other so that I can configure it as a rifle or pistol as I see fit. One day a rifle, then the next day it is a 300BO with a 10.5 inch barrel and a silencer. Pretty cool.
    Can be treated as selling a rifle once built that way.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A Reciever Only is initially sold as an *Other* . It would be sold as a Whatever it Actually Is , at the time of sale .

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    Thanks guys. I am sure that I understand now. It is an Hbar rifle . Never built into a pistol. Buyer, who is a MD resident by the way knows it must remain in Hbar configuration. Not a regulated firearm. 100 percent sure he is not a prohibited person. Thanks for your replies.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Nope.

If you sell JUST the lower, then it requires a 77r.

If you sell it as a complete firearm, and it meets the requirements of FSA2013, it is good to go as a face to face sale.

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    Thanks guys. This rifle is dear to him because it is the first center-fire rifle that he had ever shot. I know he will cherish it. He's wanted to buy it for some time. It looks like now I'll have an empty spot in the safe to fill . I've been wanting another cz 527 or maybe build another Hbar

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom