• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    A few years ago I picked up a new US Palm carrier with 2 new certified 3A soft armor plates from CTD for like $180. Since then I acquired 2 Level 3 ceramic plates, a full tactical vest, and finally 2 level 3 AR500 plates (too heavy at my age). I have worn the initial carrier once or twice but short of a SHTF situation where my choice would be to put the ceramic plates in the carrier over the 3A armor I don't plan on using anything. As for anti-spalling the thin coatings don't work for cr*p, I have seen the tests, but the thick coatings (>.5") apparently do at least for a single round hit.
    But regardless I would not count on a F/B plate rig to really protect you much in most situations (or even a 4 plate rig). You are better off if the person is a good shot as then they might actually hit the plate, otherwise a gang-banger is likely to get lucky spraying and hit you somewhere you are not protected. Even if the hit(s) is not lethal its going to hurt bad.
    Where I work for the VA even the VA police wear body armor.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    But regardless I would not count on a F/B plate rig to really protect you much in most situations (or even a 4 plate rig). You are better off if the person is a good shot as then they might actually hit the plate, otherwise a gang-banger is likely to get lucky spraying and hit you somewhere you are not protected. Even if the hit(s) is not lethal its going to hurt bad.
    Where I work for the VA even the VA police wear body armor.

Plates are only meant to cover critical hit areas such as the CNS, heart, and nerve bundles located near the upper respiratory...a properly sized plate will end up leaving your cut and possibly lower lungs exposed. Not all that comforting. Armor might be useful, but ultimately it probably won't be.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Ditto on that. I figure it's one of those things that is better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    OK, I wasn't going to chime in but I can't help myself.

My job doesn't require me to carry a gun. I don't do dangerous things late at night in dark alleys or go out of my way to make trouble in public. For me, body armor might just for home defense. I bought some. I am not a professional gun fighter so I didn't feel like I needed to spend the amount of money a professional gunfighter should. Really it was because I am a guy. As a guy, I like guy things. I like guns, fast cars and motorcycles, airplanes, swords, pretty girls that don't talk a lot, action movies, greasy food, and tobacco. I used to like booze a lot but I have been sober now going on eight years.

Point is, I got body armor because I wanted to. It is fun for me. Somewhere in the back of my mind, there could be a damsel in distress or a bus load of kids that needs me to get between them and a bad guy. Probably won't happen but who cares! If you have the money and can afford it responsibly, get you some!

Here is what I did. I got a Level IIIa vest from Bullet Safe for $300. That would be plenty for anything you will run across in town. If rifles come out, you are in way over your head and need to seriously get out of there. Their vest has a plate carrier built in. It was touched on earlier with the guy that said buy a gong from amazon. You can buy pre-cut AR500 grade steel from amazon for a fraction of what a armor plate seller will charge. It is exactly the same stuff, just not refined and painted fancy. Do a search for AR500 temco. Pick your size (10"X12") Most level IV plates are 1/4 inch thick. I got 3/8 thick because thicker is better and I am not going to wear mine eight hours a day for five days straight. I only need mine for that quick gunfight in the middle of the street. LOL Throw a couple of coats of bed-liner paint on it to catch bullet splatter and you're set! If you don't want to buy target steel from amazon or just don't want to go the "do it yourself" route, I would recommend Patriot Armor plates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxuVau6qiiw

If you have an occupation that puts you routinely in harms way, ignore this post completely and get some good, high dollar armor.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    OK, I wasn't going to chime in but I can't help myself.

My job doesn't require me to carry a gun. I don't do dangerous things late at night in dark alleys or go out of my way to make trouble in public. For me, body armor might just for home defense. I bought some. I am not a professional gun fighter so I didn't feel like I needed to spend the amount of money a professional gunfighter should. Really it was because I am a guy. As a guy, I like guy things. I like guns, fast cars and motorcycles, airplanes, swords, pretty girls that don't talk a lot, action movies, greasy food, and tobacco. I used to like booze a lot but I have been sober now going on eight years.

Point is, I got body armor because I wanted to. It is fun for me. Somewhere in the back of my mind, there could be a damsel in distress or a bus load of kids that needs me to get between them and a bad guy. Probably won't happen but who cares! If you have the money and can afford it responsibly, get you some!

Here is what I did. I got a Level IIIa vest from Bullet Safe for $300. That would be plenty for anything you will run across in town. If rifles come out, you are in way over your head and need to seriously get out of there. Their vest has a plate carrier built in. It was touched on earlier with the guy that said buy a gong from amazon. You can buy pre-cut AR500 grade steel from amazon for a fraction of what a armor plate seller will charge. It is exactly the same stuff, just not refined and painted fancy. Do a search for AR500 temco. Pick your size (10"X12") Most level IV plates are 1/4 inch thick. I got 3/8 thick because thicker is better and I am not going to wear mine eight hours a day for five days straight. I only need mine for that quick gunfight in the middle of the street. LOL Throw a couple of coats of bed-liner paint on it to catch bullet splatter and you're set! If you don't want to buy target steel from amazon, I would recommend Patriot Armor plates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxuVau6qiiw

I love this response only because it's honest!! I only own Body Armor for work.....otherwise I probably wouldn't as its a waste of money, unless it's thought of like your statement.

This I need it for SHTF stuff is silly IMHO.

Tin I totally respect you reasoning and response!

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Good response Tin.

Have a link to the ar500 plates that need finishing but are much cheaper?

The other day, new guy (who's deploying soon, came to us for some training), brought a nice chest rig withe ar500 plates, taco pouches, and a battle belt with more taco pouches. His rationale was good: he wanted something to simulate what he would be issued, he wanted the weight for exercise, and when he returned from deployment this would be his home defense rig and training gear for now and future tactical training.

Plus armor is cool. :thumbsup:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    How many of you have a functional IFAK on your rig or in your range bag and have had training on how to use the equipment in it?

I do now. But for a long time...

I didn't bother in the past because I lacked updated training to use most of the items.

I was an EMT for 4 years, many years ago, and thought my training had floundered; because even during a 20 year Army career, the training was so minimal, I lots faith in my training and ability.

Then - I took a 2.5 day Special Operations Medical Assessment (SOMA) course (equivalent to Combat Lifesaver (CLS)); and realized I just need a confidence boost, and refresher training - practice. I mostly realized that tourniquets are most critical, and go to them sooner than I was previously taught.

After that class (taught by contractors to the government; much like the instructors at Annapolis Defense and Security (ADS)), I went out and bought a proper IFAK, and several other items.

I strongly recommend this kind of (people getting shot) medical training for anyone who carries a gun. Mostly for self-aid, but also for buddy-aid.

Any links to this kind of training locally in Maryland?

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Good response Tin.

Have a link to the ar500 plates that need finishing but are much cheaper?

The other day, new guy (who's deploying soon, came to us for some training), brought a nice chest rig withe ar500 plates, taco pouches, and a battle belt with more taco pouches. His rationale was good: he wanted something to simulate what he would be issued, he wanted the weight for exercise, and when he returned from deployment this would be his home defense rig and training gear for now and future tactical training.

Plus armor is cool. :thumbsup:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-10-x12-...t-Raw-Sheet-/371183999878?hash=item566c4a5b86

This is a link to ebay for the 1/4 inch plates. They also sell them in thicker gauge. The same seller is on Amazon. 2 plates 10X12 1/4 insh thick for $50.

http://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-AR500-S...F8&qid=1463643928&sr=8-1&keywords=ar500+temco

I bought the same thing in 3/8 plate and painted them myself.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Here is mine...

3/8 inch 10" X 12"

Attachments

• 20160519_092512.1.jpg
      20160519_092512.1.jpg
      40.6 KB · Views: 380
    • 20160519_092449.1.jpg
      20160519_092449.1.jpg
      91 KB · Views: 377
    Last edited:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    A couple of tiny layers of bedliner won't do sh*t as anti-spaulling protection. Needs to be at least 1/4 thick itself minimum on top of the armor (better is 3/8" to 1/2" thick). The term means that the layer will capture all the fragments of the projective as it disintegrates from impact if no penetration. Otherwise you might survive but your d*ck could end up being shorter or your toes could get shredded.
    Not to mention that regular bedliner compound does not have the correct properties to function as an anti-spaulling layer.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    How many of you have a functional IFAK on your rig or in your range bag and have had training on how to use the equipment in it?

Excellent point. If you use firearms, you should be prepared to treat a GSW. If you have body armor you are either A)working in a job where thre is a threat of GSWs, B) train with firearms in situations that may lead to accidental GSWs, or C) are prepping and one of those preps would probably be for GSWs.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Excellent point. If you use firearms, you should be prepared to treat a GSW. If you have body armor you are either A)working in a job where thre is a threat of GSWs, B) train with firearms in situations that may lead to accidental GSWs, or C) are prepping and one of those preps would probably be for GSWs.

A 'blow-out kit' of some sort is mandatory along with your SHTF rig. I'm no expert-AR500 sells several degrees of them. Anyone offer any comments on those?

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    In the interest of keeping this fun. Was goofing around and painted one of my plates. I am not much of an artist but what do you guys think?

Attachments

• 20160607_072657.1.jpg
      20160607_072657.1.jpg
      59.1 KB · Views: 308

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads