What guns would you take on an expedition to Alaska?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    To harvest food and protect myself-General Electric XM214

No explanation should be needed :D

Dec 31, 2012
    Mini Uzi, plasma cannon, that dildo gun Chad was holding, and a bottle of my own pee

Durable firearms would be important. A lever gun and a big Ruger revolver would cover me, I'll skip the pee...

Attachments

• sunisgoing.jpg
      sunisgoing.jpg
      19.9 KB · Views: 632

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , I am channeling the concept of more of basic subsistance than trophy hunting on purpose.

It would be very temping for my almost packing weight .500 S&W ( with my handloads of desired power level ) , but probably a lighter setup would be called for.

10mm for those who just hasta have a bottomfeeder , but I'm basically a revolver guy , and they have advantages. .41 , .44, .45Ruger all good. Probably a toss up between Vaquero or 5in M629 .

.22lr rifle for small to medium eating fare. A .44mag or .45Colt ( ruger load capable) lever action would be a good versatile choice.

Shotgun isn't really an off the wall option. Good for small game , and Breneeke slugs specifically have plenty of penetration for big stuff.

Could do a lot worse than a Savage M24 in .22rimfire over 20ga .

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Space reserved until Minuteman posts again in post #2.

Preliminary option A "The Utilitarian": 12 Gauge Pump, with bird, buck, and slugs.

Preliminary option B "The Hunter": Win Mod 70 in .375 H&H and a S&W Model 29 in .44 mag

Preliminary option C "The Mad Trapper": S&W revolver and a Big Horn Armory Model 89 lever-action rifle, both chambered in 500 S&W.

Preliminary option D "The Minimalist": 10/22 take down and a collapsible pee jug. Figure with this rig, I won't need to lug my pee around like MPDC - I'll just fill the jug when I see a bear - and the next bear that comes along is in for a rude awakening.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Boy after posting that, I realized didn't include a .22lr pistol. If we twist the scenario just a little bit to being in the backcounrty for extended periods , but having your miners/ trappers small cabin where you don't have to carry everything all the time , then absolutely an accurate .22lr psitol. If you are otherwise carrying a serious long gun , then a good .22lr on the belt is more versatile than a big rifle and a big pistol.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    It's an old joke, but the best bear defense is a .22 pistol. If a bear starts chasing you, just shoot your hiking partner in the knee and keep running…...

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Not to complicate things, but am I going solo or part of an expedition? Do my comrades have firearms? Do I have sherpas? A sled with dogs? Or are we going by submarine and I am assigned to bunk with Sara Palin? If any of the former there are way too many variables for a quick short answer, if the latter I am leaving all personal firearams (well not all of them) behind and I intend to surrender. :)

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Space reserved until Minuteman posts again in post #2.

Preliminary option A "The Utilitarian": 12 Gauge Pump, with bird, buck, and slugs.

Preliminary option B "The Hunter": Win Mod 70 in .375 H&H and a S&W Model 29 in .44 mag

Preliminary option C "The Mad Trapper": S&W revolver and a Big Horn Armory Model 89 lever-action rifle, both chambered in 500 S&W.

Preliminary option D "The Minimalist": 10/22 take down and a collapsible pee jug. Figure with this rig, I won't need to lug my pee around like MPDC - I'll just fill the jug when I see a bear - and the next bear that comes along is in for a rude awakening.

Fantastic post. I wanted to make this thread a poll, with some options like this; your idea is almost exactly (probably better) than what I was thinking. However today is Valentines day, and when I told my better half I was creating this thread, that I had been thinking about for a while; she rolled her eyes. Ended up taking her out to BJ's Restaurant and brewery; great place and such, some of you know what I mean. :)

So yes, I rushed the original post, and decided to not do the poll, but held a space for a future post where I could put in images of some of the guns I would seriously consider. Hence the 'saved for future post' - post.

Here are my picks at this moment: .22 revolver (for small game; easy to carry a lot of ammo); FN 5.7 (super light weight and powerful handgun - self defense with 2x 30 round mags); light weight .308 bolt action rifle with decent 3x9 scope.

Now; go back and check out my 'reserved' post for pics of aforementioned firearms. (will be ready @ ~ 16:00 EST)

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Not to complicate things, but am I going solo or part of an expedition? Do my comrades have firearms? Do I have sherpas? A sled with dogs? Or are we going by submarine and I am assigned to bunk with Sara Palin? If any of the former there are way too many variables for a quick short answer, if the latter I am leaving all personal firearams (well not all of them) behind and I intend to surrender. :)

Check out Ultimate Survival Alaska for more 'background' on the details.

In a nutshell, yes you are with a small group (typically 3 people), and yes they can carry firearms too; and no sherpas. They do sometimes have snow mobiles and sled dogs for short stretches of the contest, but realistically you should be able to carry long distances while hiking - so weight matters a lot.

You would be dropped off by helicopter or truck; left to survive and cover severe terrain for 60 hours.

Ep204_030_UltimateSurvivorAlaskaII.jpg

rudyreyesultimatesurvivalalaska.jpg

IMG_9054.jpg

Ep204_008_UltimateSurvivorAlaskaII.jpg

Sara Palin is not available for consult or any other purpose, she is a married woman, by the way. :)

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Here are my pics

Protection
    Rem 700 in .300 Win mag; big gun for big animals.....

Hunting
    Ruger 10/22 and Rem 870 with bird shot; lets face it, if you are trying to survive are you really going to shoot a moose or bear as a meal then move on? I'm thinking small game hunting is the way to go.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Great pics Minuteman, but I didn't see Sara, so I guess I am staying home. :) But if I was going, Ruger .44 mag revolver, and a Marlin big loop lever .45-70, no scope to save weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom