• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    So I’ve decided on an Uberti made Winchester 1873 rifle but I’m still not sure what original caliber. I would be buying cast lead bullets and reloading my own cartridges with smokeless powder at the start.

I was originally going to go with a 44-40 but from everything I’m reading, the nominal groove diameter Uberti uses is .429 instead of the classic .427. Given the general idea that you should use a cast bullet .001 over groove diameter, that would call for a bullet size that can cause issues chambering not to mention another complication in an already more difficult cartridge to load for.

So then I started to read about the 38-40 and it seems like the specs line up more with what they should be. A nominal barrel groove diameter of .400 and .401 cast bullets are easy to find.

I understand the published groove diameter can vary from rifle to rifle and slugging the bore is recommended. I wouldn’t be able to do that until after I purchase the rifle so the published numbers are a starting point.

Do any of you have any words of wisdom in this area? My desire for an original caliber is for historical reasons and the ability to better handle BP loads if I choose to experiment at some point.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    No words of wisdom but I have a Winchester 1892 made in 1901 in 38-40 and I absolutely love it!!!

I wish I could find, at the right price, a colt or ruger single action to go with this rifle.

Maybe one day

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Just got my first .44-40 but haven't had a chance to shoot it (Rossi 92). Not much to add but I have heard they are great soft shooters perfect for fast fire cowboy action.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    No words of wisdom but I have a Winchester 1892 made in 1901 in 38-40 and I absolutely love it!!!

I wish I could find, at the right price, a colt or ruger single action to go with this rifle.

Maybe one day

Very nice. I went to the last Baltimore Antique arms show. I saw rifles in my price range but I wasn't confident on what to look for as a shooter let alone a collector. Need to do more research in preparation for next year.

Just got my first .44-40 but haven't had a chance to shoot it (Rossi 92). Not much to add but I have heard they are great soft shooters perfect for fast fire cowboy action.

I've got a Rossi 92 in .357 and it's very nice, especially for the price. Cycles .357 and .38 just fine.

I have an Uberti 1860 in 44-40. I use .427" bullets with no problems. Works fine.

Thanks for the info. Are you pleased with the accuracy? Any leading issues? I know these aren't sub MOA rifles, just curious.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the info. Are you pleased with the accuracy? Any leading issues? I know these aren't sub MOA rifles, just curious.

I have pretty much only shot this with my BP handloads, so no leading. I use it for SASS, it's accurate enough for my purposes. I have to shoot at an outdoor range to get it on paper, which I haven't done in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom