• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Anyone have any recommendations? Looking for something to fit between standard 16” OC studs. Won’t break the bank ($300 or less would be nice) and can accommodate at least one handgun and one long gun. Preferably something a bit heavier duty than the stack-on IWC-55 cabinet. Fire protection not necessary (but I wouldn’t mind it). Keyed entry is not a negative.

But super flimsy construction not okay.

From what I am finding my choices are a handgun safe that may actually be legitimately pry and tool resistant (I said resistant), or basically in in wall gun cabinet that a minute with a mallet and pry bar would have torn open.

Primarily looking to keep kids out and quick access, but if something exists that might resist a mildly curious robber I wouldn’t be upset by that (obviously nothing will stop a determined robber who is going to use power tools)

Wife would need to be able to open it (hence key that can go on her key ring and my key ring. Or biometric. Combo won’t work as she won’t remember it).

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I've never seen a safe really for in-between-the-studs, but did have a Walmart one. It was under $100. My walls weren't deep enough but trimmed it out with casing to match the doors. It looked great. The metal was thin and it was keyed. I really liked it.

It could have been covered easily with a distraction piece. The location was behind the door's in-swing, so entering the room practically his it from view.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah it’ll probably go behind a piano hinged mirror or something like that

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I’ve thought of this but the store bought ones can be thin so my next thought was to make the “mirror” door secure as well over the store bought (stackon?). Metal backed and locking as well.

I am from the camp of “if they want it, they will get it”. Good luck and keep us informed.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve thought of this but the store bought ones can be thin so my next thought was to make the “mirror” door secure as well over the store bought (stackon?). Metal backed and locking as well.

I am from the camp of “if they want it, they will get it”. Good luck and keep us informed.

That is mostly the camp I fall in to also. But I also know most break-ins are usually a quick sweep of easy to haul valuables. Now a cheap in-wall cabinet that you’d need a pry bar to open might be enough to deter. But if I COULD get something that would require cutting out the studs to remove it or an angle grinder and a couple of minutes...I wouldn’t mind paying a little more to keep the casual thief from getting in to it.

The mirror would be both to keep it a little hidden, again from a casual break-in, but also so my kids don’t know it is there and start wondering where the key might be. The later is more important to my wife than me. They know they won’t get in to my safe with its combo lock and they aren’t curious (I take the older ones shooting occasionally). But my wife has issues with guns to start with.

Without providing details, I use concealment with the cheapo Stack-Ons. If a burglar knows where to look, they can get into mine with a prybar and hammer in <5 minutes.
    I'm banking on the small handful of friends who know about it not ripping me off. I'm guessing BCPD with a warrant would find it in 20-30 minutes. Not too worried about a "smash and grab" burglar finding it.

OP- Would this work for you?
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/stack-on-in-wall-gun-cabinet?a=593357

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Without providing details, I use concealment with the cheapo Stack-Ons. If a burglar knows where to look, they can get into mine with a prybar and hammer in <5 minutes.
    I'm banking on the small handful of friends who know about it not ripping me off. I'm guessing BCPD with a warrant would find it in 20-30 minutes. Not too worried about a "smash and grab" burglar finding it.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/stack-on-in-wall-gun-cabinet?a=593357

This would work well for me .... I screw a lot.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

From what I am finding and reading here, that’s what it looks like I am leaning towards.

Thanks everyone.

Suggestions on good magnetic pistol/mag holders?

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Tactical Walls has many different styles but are not cheap $$$, the between the studs mirror is a easy install with a utility knife and a powered screwdriver. Comes with a couple strong magnets that I duct tape to yjr backside of the wall insert, holds a Beretta 92 with Mag and a spare mag without any issues. Has a small tray to hold flashlight or other things. Got mine as a fathers day present. Looking at it you would never tell its anything but a nice hardwood wall mirror.
    https://store.tacticalwalls.com/all-wall-cover-products-c33.aspx

Last edited:

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Another thought would be to attach a wooden frame to the unit close enough to the door gaps to prevent getting a good bite with a crow bar. Maybe an inch tall might do and attach the concealing mirror to it.

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    Maybe investigate your intended install location prior to buying. Lots of stuff in walls - insulation, electric, phone, TV wiring, plumbing supply, drain & vent lines, HVAC ducts, fire/cabinet blocking, etc. etc.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Maybe investigate your intended install location prior to buying. Lots of stuff in walls - insulation, electric, phone, TV wiring, plumbing supply, drain & vent lines, HVAC ducts, fire/cabinet blocking, etc. etc.

Not positive what is in there right now as I am settling on the home in 3 weeks. From memory, the wall I want to put it in likely doesn’t have anything in it. I can ask the home owner though as he built the house.

Positive no plumbing, DWV or HVAC. It could have electrical, but very unlikely. If it does, I can re-feed around it. Advantage of having built half a house myself and done major remodels on a couple of others. Basically not a thing I haven’t done (okay, I haven’t done foundation work or gas lines. But that’s it. Framing, roofing, structure, HVAC (multiple types), electrical, plumbing, networking, drywall).

I also eyed the heavier duty Stack on unit. A little concerned is a lot of the Amazon reviews are about broken hinge pins. Though maybe I can find something of the proper size that is solid to replace them? Sounds like improperly casted if they are brittle enough to break.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Not positive what is in there right now as I am settling on the home in 3 weeks. From memory, the wall I want to put it in likely doesn’t have anything in it. I can ask the home owner though as he built the house.

Positive no plumbing, DWV or HVAC. It could have electrical, but very unlikely. If it does, I can re-feed around it. Advantage of having built half a house myself and done major remodels on a couple of others. Basically not a thing I haven’t done (okay, I haven’t done foundation work or gas lines. But that’s it. Framing, roofing, structure, HVAC (multiple types), electrical, plumbing, networking, drywall).

I also eyed the heavier duty Stack on unit. A little concerned is a lot of the Amazon reviews are about broken hinge pins. Though maybe I can find something of the proper size that is solid to replace them? Sounds like improperly casted if they are brittle enough to break.

Laz is this just a 2x4 wall

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Laz is this just a 2x4 wall

Yup. His/her’s Closets that back to each other. If I were to build something from scratch I’d do 2x6 wall construction and 24” OC and find something I could custom fit to a deeper location (I could always weld a flange on the face to fit over the drywall, but stay close to smooth).

But now we are taking deeper search, lots and lots of custom work...

Really just want something that’ll hold a shotgun, an AR, a handgun and like a spare mag for each thing and a shotgun card. Two for me, one for her deal.

Needs to keep kids out as well is itinerant lazy burglars. If I could find something more pry resistant with mild fire and water resistance, awesome! But such a thing doesn’t sound too doable for the capacity I want that isn’t custom made. At least I don’t think it is?

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Yup. His/her’s Closets that back to each other. If I were to build something from scratch I’d do 2x6 wall construction and 24” OC and find something I could custom fit to a deeper location (I could always weld a flange on the face to fit over the drywall, but stay close to smooth).

But now we are taking deeper search, lots and lots of custom work...

Really just want something that’ll hold a shotgun, an AR, a handgun and like a spare mag for each thing and a shotgun card. Two for me, one for her deal.

Needs to keep kids out as well is itinerant lazy burglars. If I could find something more pry resistant with mild fire and water resistance, awesome! But such a thing doesn’t sound too doable for the capacity I want that isn’t custom made. At least I don’t think it is?
    Home Depot sells steel doors with frames not sure but possibly doubled bore so you could use a keyed alike pair of deadbolts metal studs 1/2 concrete board there's a few DIY options

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom