Old March 6th, 2021, 10:23 AM #1
American Sporting Rifle

American Sporting Rifle

Galvanic Reaction And The AR-15

Galvanic Reaction is a real thing and in theory could happen on an AR between an aluminum receiver and steel barrel. I found a couple of You Tube vids, one with just Bill Geissele and another from Brownells "Smyth Busters" team, discussing the topic. Basically if you have a hard anodized coated upper receiver you should be good to go.

Old March 6th, 2021, 11:21 AM #2
Scribe

Scribe

Why did this become a concern? I have not seen anyone worry about this. I get it, dissimilar materials and all, but this hasn't been a concern as far as I know. Worrying about corrosion occurring in the steel barrel, but this shouldn't be an issue.

They do this intentionally in oil and gas. They will leave a single, non load bearing nut or stud to corrode and prevent corrosion on other members. It is a quick visual when in remote areas that there is a concern. Some motorcyclists and car enthusiasts will do the same thing to protect their prized motor vehicle. It is a concern in pumping stations and anything buried, it is utilize it to protect the equipment.
Matlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2021, 11:43 AM #3
American Sporting Rifle

American Sporting Rifle

This topic was discussed in the context of a suppressor, and I came across this which I found interesting. I was very intrigued to find out Geissele uses an aluminum barrel nut. I am going to speculate, and this is just a guess, that Brownells would want to head off any suggestion that facing the front of an AR receiver could cause it to corrode (?). Brownells does sell those tools. They also put in a plug for anti-seize since that's another thing they sell. Interesting that they at the same time put in a plug for Aero Shell grease.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing