• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    An HBAR is a target rifle.
    Target shooting is a sport.

Target rifles and assault rifles are two different things, one is good and one is bad.
    Bad guns have a mind of their own and must be banned by important people in Annapolis who wear suits and eat lunch with other important people who wear suits.
    Those people are smarter than you because all your neighbors voted them into office with great confidence in their decision making powers.

Ask me why an 11 round magazine is more dangerous than a 10 round magazine.
    ^^^ Post of the Day material right here! :lol2:

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Bayonet mugs and adjustable stock isn’t an issue. Under FSA 2013 Semi-automatic rifles have a feature test if they have a detachable magazine.

1 flash hider
    2 folding stock (ADJUSTABLE DOES NOT COUNT)
    3 grenade launcher

Any one is fine. Any 2 is a deadly assault weapon and Maryland doesn’t cotton to deadly assault weapons.

Maybe a silly question but......Can you have a grenade launcher and a flash hider on a rifle ? Not can you legally but CAN YOU physically attach them both ?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Evil EBRness.jpg

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    With that flash hider on the barrel I can see why you can't combine the two. SCARRY indeed !

When asking the question I was thinking of the grenade launcher on my sks, but dammmmmm, now I NEED one of those for the AR

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    And yes, some flash hiders are designed to be compatible with rifle grenade launchers (not to be confused with rifle mounted grenade launchers).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't think the AR flash suppressor was ever meant to be a grenade launcher.

I know that a number of 7.62x51 rifles had flash suppressors that doubled to launch rifle grenades. M1 Carbine and .30-06 service rifles had grenade launcher attachments.

ELEMENT94

Wild eyed pistol waver.
    Sep 23, 2007
    I think it has more to do with the availability of heavy barrels. They seem to be the least popular, and selection is VERY poor. I have been looking for several months for a 1x7 16" chrome lined, mid length, in Heavy profile, and found exactly one, a DelTon. The goal with HBAR was to make it difficult, and they have succeeded.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think it has more to do with the availability of heavy barrels. They seem to be the least popular, and selection is VERY poor. I have been looking for several months for a 1x7 16" chrome lined, mid length, in Heavy profile, and found exactly one, a DelTon. The goal with HBAR was to make it difficult, and they have succeeded.

Because of all your criteria. 16” with midlength gas is uncommon as it is. Add in 1:7, chrome lines, and HBAR and you get to “rare”.

Relax any one of those criteria and there are anything from a few to scads.

20” is less common than 16”. That said I have two different 20” HBAR 1:8 SS barrels. One on my current AR and a fluted nitrided one sitting in my safe.

Just in general looking at 20” HBAR barrels and I’d guess there are at least a dozen to 20 manufacturers who make one. Several manufacturers make several flavors of 20” HBAR barrels.

For 16” HBAR barrels times that by at least 2.

ELEMENT94

Wild eyed pistol waver.
    Sep 23, 2007
    Because of all your criteria. 16” with midlength gas is uncommon as it is. Add in 1:7, chrome lines, and HBAR and you get to “rare”.

Relax any one of those criteria and there are anything from a few to scads.

20” is less common than 16”. That said I have two different 20” HBAR 1:8 SS barrels. One on my current AR and a fluted nitrided one sitting in my safe.

Just in general looking at 20” HBAR barrels and I’d guess there are at least a dozen to 20 manufacturers who make one. Several manufacturers make several flavors of 20” HBAR barrels.

For 16” HBAR barrels times that by at least 2.

I dont want a 20" HBAR.

This is the first time I have put a build together. That being said, all the info ive seen says that mid-length is the best for 16 inch barrels, and there are TONS of them out there, just not a heavy profile. 1x7 is the most common twist. There are government profiles, medium, socom, recce, pencil, lightweight, and many that are manufacturer specific. VIRTUALLY NO HEAVY. Please provide links showing otherwise.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    You can get almost any configuration AR from CORE at Atlantic Guns ,They get CORE to mark each barrel HBAR since there's no "standards "for HBAR ,that makes it compliant with the law, nice work around

ELEMENT94

Wild eyed pistol waver.
    Sep 23, 2007
    You can get almost any configuration AR from CORE at Atlantic Guns ,They get CORE to mark each barrel HBAR since there's no "standards "for HBAR ,that makes it compliant with the law, nice work around

Interesting.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    The Maryland banned list is a carry-over from the old regulated firearms list. What I think happened when they put together the regulated firearms list 15 years ago or so, was that some staffer in Annapolis bought a copy of Gun Digest or Shooters Bible, and went through the pictures deciding "that one looks military -- put it on the list" When he got to the Colt AR-15, he saw one model, probably with its own picture listed as the Colt HBAR, and described as a target rifle. Since the HBAR didn't have a flash suppressor, the staffer felt a moment of ambivalence, and decided "well, I guess a dedicated target rife is OK" and wrote the exception for the HBAR into the list.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I dont want a 20" HBAR.

This is the first time I have put a build together. That being said, all the info ive seen says that mid-length is the best for 16 inch barrels, and there are TONS of them out there, just not a heavy profile. 1x7 is the most common twist. There are government profiles, medium, socom, recce, pencil, lightweight, and many that are manufacturer specific. VIRTUALLY NO HEAVY. Please provide links showing otherwise.

No, some basic searching can provide plenty.

As for best, mid length is perhaps slightly better as carbine length has is really made for a 14.5” Barrel, but the gas port is undersized on a 16” Barrel with carbine length gas. The erosion and bolt velocity difference between carbine and mid length is modest at best. More likely to erode out the lands first unless you are doing a lot of strings of rapid fire.

The 20” I was using as an example as 20” barrels are less common than 16”.

One thing to consider is that a carbine length has block is going to shed several ounces over a midlength on an HBAR Barrel. Probably 3-4.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The Maryland banned list is a carry-over from the old regulated firearms list. What I think happened when they put together the regulated firearms list 15 years ago or so, was that some staffer in Annapolis bought a copy of Gun Digest or Shooters Bible, and went through the pictures deciding "that one looks military -- put it on the list" When he got to the Colt AR-15, he saw one model, probably with its own picture listed as the Colt HBAR, and described as a target rifle. Since the HBAR didn't have a flash suppressor, the staffer felt a moment of ambivalence, and decided "well, I guess a dedicated target rife is OK" and wrote the exception for the HBAR into the list.

Something like that, but more like

The ban is based on Dianne Feinstein's old Assault Weapons List from about 1988-1989.

That list was the basis for Clinton's AWB of 1994-2004. It was used by Maryland when so-called "Assault Weapons" were Regulated (Form 77r and 7 day wait), and used for the ban of 2013.

The List is used by other states, but I don't know if other states versions include the HBAR exemption.

The List was created by a pair of Dianne Feinstein's staffers, who said they went down to the newstand at lunch time and bought a copy of Gun Digest. They went through the catalog section in the back and listed every long gun that looked scary, or unsuited for wabbit hunting. Seriously.

Because the List was created in 1988, it is full of odd guns few have ever heard of, such as the Linda and the Bushmaster. (The latter was NOT an AR, but rather an odd combination of AK and AR features, never produced in large numbers. Years later, after the Bushmaster rifle failed, the company turned to making ARs.) Except for a few revisions (I think) in 1994, the List has never been updated, which is why it does not include rifles like the SCAR and Tavor.

Anyway, in 1988 ARs were not being made by dozens of companies. If you wanted an AR, you pretty much chose among the Colts: the rifle or the carbine. They also had a target version- the Colt HBAR Sporter. This was coming into favor with serious High Power competitors for bullseye competition.

When legislation is proposed, there is always dealing and hoss trading and compromising. The argument was made that AR15s were increasingly used by serious target shooters. Okay, how can we distinguish the Evil Assault Rifle that kills people from the harmless AR15 that only punches neat holes in paper far away? Why the paper puncher has a Heavy Barrel.

Further, with the AR15 being added to Maryland's Regulated list, it was pointed out that Junior Competitors between the ages of 18 and 20 would be unable to possess the increasingly favored target rifle of choice. Thus the HBAR exemption.

Since the List was drawn up almost 30 (not 15) years ago, the AR 15 has locked in its position as the target rifle of choice for High Power competition. Thus the HBAR exemption is even more valid and reasonable now than it was way back when there was only one target model available.

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    The ban is based on Dianne Feinstein's old Assault Weapons List from about 1988-1989.

That list was the basis for Clinton's AWB of 1994-2004. It was used by Maryland when so-called "Assault Weapons" were Regulated (Form 77r and 7 day wait), and used for the ban of 2013.

The List is used by other states, but I don't know if other states versions include the HBAR exemption.

The List was created by a pair of Dianne Feinstein's staffers, who said they went down to the newstand at lunch time and bought a copy of Gun Digest. They went through the catalog section in the back and listed every long gun that looked scary, or unsuited for wabbit hunting. Seriously.

Because the List was created in 1988, it is full of odd guns few have ever heard of, such as the Linda and the Bushmaster. (The latter was NOT an AR, but rather an odd combination of AK and AR features, never produced in large numbers. Years later, after the Bushmaster rifle failed, the company turned to making ARs.) Except for a few revisions (I think) in 1994, the List has never been updated, which is why it does not include rifles like the SCAR and Tavor.

Anyway, in 1988 ARs were not being made by dozens of companies. If you wanted an AR, you pretty much chose among the Colts: the rifle or the carbine. They also had a target version- the Colt HBAR Sporter. This was coming into favor with serious High Power competitors for bullseye competition.

When legislation is proposed, there is always dealing and hoss trading and compromising. The argument was made that AR15s were increasingly used by serious target shooters. Okay, how can we distinguish the Evil Assault Rifle that kills people from the harmless AR15 that only punches neat holes in paper far away? Why the paper puncher has a Heavy Barrel.

Further, with the AR15 being added to Maryland's Regulated list, it was pointed out that Junior Competitors between the ages of 18 and 20 would be unable to possess the increasingly favored target rifle of choice. Thus the HBAR exemption.

By the way, I'm always a little annoyed when I read well-meaning rants about how stupid the HBAR exemption is. What do the ranters expect, that the Slavering Gun Grabbers will suddenly see the light, and revoke all restrictions on gun ownership? Just repeal all the anti gun laws? I do not think they will.

Really informative post! Thanks! Stranger than fiction.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Really informative post! Thanks! Stranger than fiction.

No, just the way legislation works. Not only for guns: any legislation. Zoning laws, health care, drug laws, professional licensing. Any time three or more human beings get together and start codifying rules or regulations, you get "Stranger Than Fiction."

Come on down to Annapolis in January and you can see Stranger Than Fiction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom