Deep Creek infestation/needs to be drained?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Never been there and never plan to go. Till md treats me as a citizen I spend all my vacation money OUT of this state, as well as any other money possible.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I think I heard something about someone took a boat up there that had zebra mussels on it ?

The zebra mussels that infested the St Lawrence were thought to be the death of the seaway, however, they found out that once the zebra mussels were in embedded into the St. Lawrence's river bed the zebra mussels were cleansing the water in less than 24 hours.

The Hydrila in the Potomac River was though to be the death of the river and it turns out that it was the perfect hiding place for little fish to grow into big fish and they now have bass fishing tournaments on the Potomac.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    The zebra mussels that infested the St Lawrence were thought to be the death of the seaway, however, they found out that once the zebra mussels were in embedded into the St. Lawrence's river bed the zebra mussels were cleansing the water in less than 24 hours.

The Hydrila in the Potomac River was though to be the death of the river and it turns out that it was the perfect hiding place for little fish to grow into big fish and they now have bass fishing tournaments on the Potomac.

I agree, funny how the "experts" seem to know what might happen. I remember when they poisoned a whole pond in Crofton to kill off the dreaded snakeheads that would destroy the world. Now folks are targeting them on the potomac for their tastiness, with no evidence of ecosystem collapse. Man makes plans and God laughs.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

I was on the St Lawrence River a while back and commented on how clean and clear the water was. A local told me it was due to the mussles. Seems like a good thing to me. :shrug:

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Government/bureaucracy is constantly on the lookout for opportunities to worry or scare the population into accepting more oversight/control/infringement.

It's what they do. It's how they grow. It's the source of their power.

Don't buy into it.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I wouldn't take a couple of anecdotal cases to support invasive species.

Brown tree snake in Hawaii has been hard on the ecosystem there and let's not forget the gov't's great idea to use kudzu as a soil stabilizer. For those who have been to the South that stuff is NOT good. Feral cats and many other good examples of it not going well.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    Deep Creek Lake is, and has been for years, grossly mismanaged by the DNR. Garrett County has been ignored since Schaeffer. The lake has severe sediment issues, the aforementioned hydrilla issues, repeated sewage "leaks", water level conflicts, etc. It's no wonder no real commercial development has occured there. It's sad because it's a beautiful place. I watched the value of my property plummet until I was finally able to sell. The value has dropped another 15%+ since then (<2 years). When will it stop? Where is Hogan in all of this?

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    I was on the St Lawrence River a while back and commented on how clean and clear the water was. A local told me it was due to the mussles. Seems like a good thing to me. :shrug:

The issue with the zebras is less about the environment and more about damage to the dams. The reality is that these things get into the outlets of the dams and clog them. Bad for hydroelectric companies.

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    But...But...But...I LOVE going there and don't wanna be drained!

Then come as a Hooligan guest and appreciate/care-for/preserve the environment, as well as the Western Maryland culture.

Big difference between being a guest and being a touron....

Besides, Holli wants to meet more folks from the lowlands.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    There's a fake story on fb from one of those breakingnews247.net sites that says something to that effect. Fake, obviously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure

VACreative1

Jul 24, 2017
    No drainig here

Heard someone say it's getting infested with something and the only way to "clean" it is to drain the whole damn thing? That's like 60 miles of shoreline.

Anyone hear anything about this? I couldn't find anything.

No they are not.
    This Article is unsubstantiated. Really, the spokeswoman's name is Xan Axe.(lol) And they certainly wouldn't drain it in the middle of the summer vacation season.
    http://www.breakingnews247.net/5970e21caa3da/deep-creek-lake-to-be-drained.html

See the actual article from the MD DNR http://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2017/07/17/zebra-mussels-found-on-boat-destined-for-deep-creek-lake/

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017
    Confirmed. Called my real estate agent up there. She said it was fake, and probably thinks I'm an idiot.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I agree, funny how the "experts" seem to know what might happen. I remember when they poisoned a whole pond in Crofton to kill off the dreaded snakeheads that would destroy the world. Now folks are targeting them on the potomac for their tastiness, with no evidence of ecosystem collapse. Man makes plans and God laughs.

For anyone that SCUBA dives and has done so in the last few years in the Bahamas or the Keys, they will tell you the devastation that an invasive species will cause. The Lion fish (most likely introduced by someone dumping their fish tank in Miami) have destroyed the fish populations on the reefs. In most locations, it is legal to spear and kill lion fish year round without a license now because of the harm they are causing but this isn't helping. For those that sustain themselves via the reefs (food or tourism), this is a real danger.

https://lionfish.co/why-are-lionfish-a-problem/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom