• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abu Haqiqa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 10, 2017
    Rule 10. Considerations Governing Review on Certiorari
    Review on a writ of certiorari is not a matter of right, but of judicial discretion. A petition for a writ of certiorari will be granted only for compelling reasons. The following, although neither controlling nor fully measuring the Court’s discretion, indicate the character of the reasons the Court considers:
    (a)
    a United States court of appeals has entered a decision in conflict with the decision of another United States court of appeals on the same important matter; has decided an important federal question in a way that conflicts with a decision by a state court of last resort;

Splitzo. Peruta held the 2A in no way shape or form protected concealed carry. The FL Supremes hold that OC can be banned if (reasonable, shall-issue) CCW is available.

Sorry, for some reason thought Norman was only challenge under FL state Constitution so no Federal question. Should have looked before posting.

The split is still more implied than explicit, so I'm not convinced they'd jump on it (to say nothing of fact they usually want several circuits to have ruled on a issue before taking it up...).

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Sorry, for some reason thought Norman was only challenge under FL state Constitution so no Federal question. Should have looked before posting.

The split is still more implied than explicit, so I'm not convinced they'd jump on it (to say nothing of fact they usually want several circuits to have ruled on a issue before taking it up...).

IIRC with Peruta, every circuit that contains a may-issue state has ruled that may-issue is acceptable. 5, 6, 8, and 11 don't contain any may-issue states, so they wouldn't have much to talk about.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    IIRC with Peruta, every circuit that contains a may-issue state has ruled that may-issue is acceptable. 5, 6, 8, and 11 don't contain any may-issue states, so they wouldn't have much to talk about.

Correct. That's why this case IMO is so important. Even though may-issue isn't on the table specifically, the opinion seemed to indicate shall-issue was an alternative to open carry and that states could choose the manner of carry. Peruta OTOH said CC wasn't protected no matter if OC was available or not and that the solution was to attack the OC ban.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    Correct. That's why this case IMO is so important. Even though may-issue isn't on the table specifically, the opinion seemed to indicate shall-issue was an alternative to open carry and that states could choose the manner of carry. Peruta OTOH said CC wasn't protected no matter if OC was available or not and that the solution was to attack the OC ban.

Peruta didn't really say that. It said concealed carry wasn't protected (based on Heller) and then it ignored the fact that California didn't allow open carry either. It was a bad faith decision.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Good read, thanks for posting.

In my opinion, the "money" pull quote:

This truth should be acknowledged: opposition to open carrying stems not from concrete public safety concerns but from the fact that many people “are (sensibly or not) made uncomfortable by the visible presence of a deadly weapon.”

Of course, many people are made uncomfortable by the fact that others are permitted to keep and bear arms at all. But contemporary sensibilities cannot be the test. Such sensibilities are no more a basis for defeating the historic right to open carrying than for defeating the understanding that the Second Amendment recognizes the right of individuals to keep and bear arms.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    So I wonder how long the FSC will make up its mind if it will rehear the case and if it does decide to rehear the case then how long do we wait until the court date. IMO I think it will take about 6 months to a year before this is answered if their is a rehearing.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    While OC is a very nice option, as long as some type of carry is permitted, I'm ok with it. FL has made provisions in their statutes to keep from being arrested if you inadvertent print.

Attachments

• FL printing statute.jpg
      FL printing statute.jpg
      102.7 KB · Views: 590

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    So I wonder how long the FSC will make up its mind if it will rehear the case and if it does decide to rehear the case then how long do we wait until the court date. IMO I think it will take about 6 months to a year before this is answered if their is a rehearing.

I would expect it to be quick; this isn't an en banc court with 30 judges.

But Norman's team is doing this probably to extend the clock. It would help their cert petition to have other carry cases decided while they wait and a deeper split established.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads