• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Well there position is certainly the historically correct position. I doubt that position will ultimately prevail due to Florida being shall issue but I am really excited for them. I am also excited about their long arm argument.

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014

Thanks for the heads up on that...I'll be listening to that for sure. Here are some of the beautifully made points in Norman's reply:

"Both of the parties conceded below that carrying a concealed firearm was a privilege and that the right to bear arms outside the home is fundamental. No other fundamental right is subject to licensing before exercise of the right is allowed in a lawful time, place, and manner."

"The abrogation of a fundamental right until one has gone through an approved procedure to obtain the right, is a denial of substantive due process rights."

"The right to bear arms is the right to an effective means of self defense. The right to carry openly has always been viewed as the protected expression of that right."

"No tax, training, or application is required to exercise any other right in the Declaration of Rights or the Bill of Rights. The right to bear arms should be no different."

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Thanks for the heads up on that...I'll be listening to that for sure. Here are some of the beautifully made points in Norman's reply:

"Both of the parties conceded below that carrying a concealed firearm was a privilege and that the right to bear arms outside the home is fundamental. No other fundamental right is subject to licensing before exercise of the right is allowed in a lawful time, place, and manner."

"The abrogation of a fundamental right until one has gone through an approved procedure to obtain the right, is a denial of substantive due process rights."

"The right to bear arms is the right to an effective means of self defense. The right to carry openly has always been viewed as the protected expression of that right."

"No tax, training, or application is required to exercise any other right in the Declaration of Rights or the Bill of Rights. The right to bear arms should be no different."

There is a reason this case has wound on for three years. My guess, it will wind on for another 3 before it is said and done.

Quite frankly, the open vs. permitted concealed question is quite possibly the best question to ask SCOTUS. It boils it down into simplistic terms of one question: Does the 2A apply outside the home to bearing arms, without a permit, to handguns, for self defense.

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    Maybe this will convince some folks that the NRA doesn't hate open carry.

Yeah, the NRA is all for open carry...Yet, not a one case have they brought up in 8 yrs since Heller. And as far as not " hating open carry "...I bet their position on open carry includes a license.

By the way, how can the government compel someone to enter into a contract/license in the exercise of a right?....The application that one signs for the license is the contract, just in case you don't understand.

Bouvier's Law Dictionary

LICENSE, contracts. A right given by some competent authority to do an act, which without such authority would be illegal. The instrument or writing which secures this right, is also called a license. Vide Ayl. Parerg, 353; 15 Vin. Ab. 92; Ang. Wat. Co. 61, 85.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Yeah, the NRA is all for open carry...Yet, not a one case have they brought up in 8 yrs since Heller. And as far as not " hating open carry "...I bet their position on open carry includes a license.

By the way, how can the government compel someone to enter into a contract/license in the exercise of a right?....The application that one signs for the license is the contract, just in case you don't understand.

Bouvier's Law Dictionary

LICENSE, contracts. A right given by some competent authority to do an act, which without such authority would be illegal. The instrument or writing which secures this right, is also called a license. Vide Ayl. Parerg, 353; 15 Vin. Ab. 92; Ang. Wat. Co. 61, 85.

to be far they have only brought one carry case total
    that being Peruta
    they did bring the 18-20 year old carry case in McCraw but that had nothing to do with carry and everything to do with age bans.

Southwest Chuck

A Calguns Interloper.. ;)
    Jul 21, 2011
    CA
    to be far they have only brought one carry case total
    that being Peruta
    they did bring the 18-20 year old carry case in McCraw but that had nothing to do with carry and everything to do with age bans.

To be a little fairer, They didn't actually / initially "bring" Peruta. They joined the case after it was clear that Peruta's original attorney was way over his head, if my recollection is correct. ;)

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

Bouvier's Law Dictionary

Open carry and licensing are two distinct issues. The NRA has been a huge boost in states going Constitutional Carry this year. They're not going after licensing right now because realistically, the courts aren't going to toss those requirements(right now at least) no matter how much you or I don't approve.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    It's on now

Just finished. I thought the state's defense of the OC ban was simply pathetic. It literally was "because the legislature said so." Most of the court seems like they are trying whatever they can to uphold the law even though the state's defense was virtually non existent and said that felons and other disqualified individuals would carry if the ban were struck down.

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    Sorry about that. Some other case is on now.

Geees, they started early and I missed the ABOUT 10am time...I thought the scheduling was pretty precise?...My luck.

State has no clue what their compelling interest is in regulating open carry...People will be frightened, was about best they could do.

Will they post up the audio/video in a few days?...Would like to see/hear Friday's arguments.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Geees, they started early and I missed the ABOUT 10am time...I thought the scheduling was pretty precise?...My luck.

State has no clue what their compelling interest is in regulating open carry...People will be frightened, was about best they could do.

Will they post up the audio/video in a few days?...Would like to see/hear Friday's arguments.

Already there: http://wfsu.org/gavel2gavel/viewcase.php?eid=2364

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom