• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A friend of mine is a retired Baltimore City EMT and has moved to Garrett. He is looking to buy his first AR. He wants to buy one either custom assembled or a decent off the shelf rifle. His budget is $1000 or less. Can I get a couple recommendations from some of you out that way...Western Allegheny county is OK too.

thanks.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    There are basically 2 gun shops on Garrett County, Backbone mountain and Sang Run sports shops.
    In Allegany county you've got 3 gun shops, Three Guys, Bassin Box and Kerr brothers.
    Sang run sells AR's, I'm not sure which brand. I haven't been in Backbone in years.
    Three guys sells AR's, never seen any in the Bassin box, and I won't set foot in Kerr's.
    Not really much to choose from out this way.
    I end up building my own, it's easier to get what you're looking for.
    Now as far as Allegheny county, I wouldn't know, I tend to stay away from Pittsburgh.

JDH146

jdh146
    Dec 26, 2009
    Hafer's in Hagerstown is worth the ride. I stopped in the other day to see his new shop and it is well staffed and stocked. He does custom work too. See him in the IP section. P.S. I am not affiliated ,just a satisfied customer.

JDH146

jdh146
    Dec 26, 2009
    Since moving to Hagerstown, they seem to be catering to High End cutomers and Safari outfitting. I used to go to their annual sale when they were in Hancock and buy from Jerry. Lance was not enthusiastic about the annual sale and ended it after he took over. Nice shop to browse though and if you are in the area worth stopping by.

I still think, for what you are looking for, Hafer's is the place.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Hafer's in Hagerstown is worth the ride. I stopped in the other day to see his new shop and it is well staffed and stocked. He does custom work too. See him in the IP section. P.S. I am not affiliated ,just a satisfied customer.

If coming to Hagerstown, I'd stop in at Hafer's and avoid Hendershots.

I've found Hendershots to be on the high side of pricey and don't recall seeing ARs there. Tim in the other hand has fair prices, has ARs, and will build you what you want. He assembled a precision upper for me, out of my parts and had it done in roughly a week.

---
    Shamr0ck

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    A friend of mine is a retired Baltimore City EMT and has moved to Garrett. He is looking to buy his first AR. He wants to buy one either custom assembled or a decent off the shelf rifle. His budget is $1000 or less. Can I get a couple recommendations from some of you out that way...Western Allegheny county is OK too.

thanks.

If he wants, I can give him a parts list and also assemble the rifle for him, once everything comes in. All he would have to do is make it to Frederick. The total cost would be around $700 +/-, depending on how much he spends on the lower. I forgot to mention that the barrel would be free floated.

If he wants, I can give him a parts list and also assemble the rifle for him, once everything comes in. All he would have to do is make it to Frederick. The total cost would be around $700 +/-, depending on how much he spends on the lower. I forgot to mention that the barrel would be free floated.

I will pass it along...One way or another he wants a rifle...He spent a lot of years in the city fire department and has learned to trust his gut..after today's events his gut is telling him the sh*t is about to hit the fan...I have the same feeling...it has saved my skin many times..

obiii

Jun 2, 2010
    Allegany County, MD
    I'll vote for Hafer's, as Tim is one of the good guys. RWB has been here a while, and I haven't heard any negatives, and
    I plan on doing some business with him in the future. I'm not to far away and have built several of my own, and have most of the tools needed. If he wants
    to build one, tell him about me as I would be more than happy to help him.
    OB

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    My take on the two "biggies" in Hagerstown is just the opposite. Hafer's, while well stocked, competitively priced, and with a friendly staff, left a bad taste in my mouth when they royally screwed up a simple re-barrel job on a Springfield 1903A4 belonging to a buddy- and charged him for it. Hendershott's on the other hand have always treated me/us fairly. Lance will stop and schmooze even when in a hurry. And in addition to the mouth-watering high end inventory, the "back room" is chock full of AR stuff with something for everybody. During my recent first AR build, the guys back there were more than helpful, bending over backward to answer my stupid questions and demonstrating the different systems/accessories that had my head spinning. I couldn't even figure out how to swap out the A2 handguard for a Magpul handguard, whereupon Lance himself took a second and did it for me with a kind word and a smile on his face. I can't recommend them enough.

Dramer77

Aug 21, 2013
    Hagerstown,MD
    My take on the two "biggies" in Hagerstown is just the opposite. Hafer's, while well stocked, competitively priced, and with a friendly staff, left a bad taste in my mouth when they royally screwed up a simple re-barrel job on a Springfield 1903A4 belonging to a buddy- and charged him for it. Hendershott's on the other hand have always treated me/us fairly. Lance will stop and schmooze even when in a hurry. And in addition to the mouth-watering high end inventory, the "back room" is chock full of AR stuff with something for everybody. During my recent first AR build, the guys back there were more than helpful, bending over backward to answer my stupid questions and demonstrating the different systems/accessories that had my head spinning. I couldn't even figure out how to swap out the A2 handguard for a Magpul handguard, whereupon Lance himself took a second and did it for me with a kind word and a smile on his face. I can't recommend them enough.

So your "buddie" had an issue so you have a bad taste.. I know Tim pretty well and would have to say there is more to the story than they messed it up and charged him for it...
    Tim is a great guy and goes out of his way to help people, best prices and inventory around.. I swung by hendershots the other week and their handgun inventory was lacking.. Hafer's has a much bigger better selection ...

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I live in Hagerstown, Hendershots is well stocked but high priced and not very friendly. A good friend of mine worked for them for a long time. Hafer's has a good inventory and the people are friendly and knowledgeable. I deal with South Mountain Arms in Keedysville simply because he gives me the best prices and will literally bend over backwards to help people. He doesn't stock a whole lot due to limited space but has a ton of AR stuff.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I live in Hagerstown, Hendershots is well stocked but high priced and not very friendly. A good friend of mine worked for them for a long time. Hafer's has a good inventory and the people are friendly and knowledgeable. I deal with South Mountain Arms in Keedysville simply because he gives me the best prices and will literally bend over backwards to help people. He doesn't stock a whole lot due to limited space but has a ton of AR stuff.

Hafers. Don't even THINK about going anywhere else. Tim is good people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom