What's your favorite/recommended .22 handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I love my 22/45 lite. It has performed flawlessly so far, and suppresses nicely.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Hey everyone, thanks for the advice so far! Seems to be lots of love for Rugers here. Unfortunately I took a look at a "how to disassemble and reassemble" video and.... Dear Lord. Guess I've got lots to learn!

And yes, I did mention this in my intro post a couple days ago, but thought I would actually give my situation and ask the broader community here (sorry if violation of some sort :/ )

Once you've done it a few times and remember which way to point it when it's all good.

It's easier to follow the video if you actually have one in your hand.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Once you've done it a few times and remember which way to point it when it's all good.

It's easier to follow the video if you actually have one in your hand.

Agreed. The first couple of times are a little frustrating. I can do it quickly and without the video now.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Sig classic and then buy xchange kit, you now have 2 pistols cheaper than you would if just buying the full size version.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Sig classic and then buy xchange kit, you now have 2 pistols cheaper than you would if just buying the full size version.

Yup!

I bought a Sig Classic 229 (in .22) and then picked up a .40 x-change kit. MUCH cheaper than buying the 229 in .40 and getting a 22 x-change kit (no one knows why they priced them that way...)

I subsequently bought a 9mm x-change kit for the gun (as I sold my other 40 cal gun and all the ammo, consolidating calibers) and now I'm selling the 40 cal x-change kit, as well...

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I love my 22/45 lite. It has performed flawlessly so far, and suppresses nicely.

I'm dying to try mine but have had mag issues. Neither of the mags that came with it would feed ammo. Tried 5 different kinds and the followers don't work right. Gritty and won't feed. So I bought 2 new mags and same problem. From reading I guess I have to take them apart and polish them. Was only able to get 3 rounds thru mine. Never had a problem with my MK IIs.
    Still like my slab sided Buck Mark best.

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Me or my wife have:
    Browning Buckmark (Mine)
    Heavy and stainless 6.5" hunter version with wood grips.
    Very NICE trigger on it. Crisp clean break.
    I have 2000+ rounds through it and I have yet to clean it.
    If you work on your trigger, that heavy weight works for you in the trigger pull resisting movement as you pull trigger.
    After first 500 rounds, its been flawless and accurate as hell with just about everything I feed it. Only ammo it does not like is Winchester 333
    Ruger 22/45 Lite (Hers)
    Lighter, I like to use then when shooting 1 handed at longer distances. not as accurate for me as my buckmark and a little more finicky with the ammo, you got to do mods to it to be happy and the mags get sticky when removing and inserting. Can be a pain to clean, I have to watch the video each time I do it. But if you watch video, its tolerable. One of the mags is acting up. Changed to other mag and feeding properly.

Dad has:
    Ruger SR22
    Very good for him, light, small and he shoots it well. Been pretty reliable for him. he got it after he was totally dissatisfied with the neos. Looking back, my wife MAYBE should have gotten the SR22. My buddy's wife liked it so much, she just bought one.
    Beretta Neos
    I'd never recommend this to anyone. Many misfires due to firing pin design. Easy to clean but you have to do it every time out or crud builds up restricting firing pin from striking fully. Only works for small hands. heavier than it needs to be.

MarylandWillWin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    This seems to be a good place to ask collected 22 enthusiasts... Why does the Luger grip geometry live on only in the rimfire world? Are there any advantages? If it just style? A quick search turned up nothing about this.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    This seems to be a good place to ask collected 22 enthusiasts... Why does the Luger grip geometry live on only in the rimfire world? Are there any advantages? If it just style? A quick search turned up nothing about this.

Not many people want a single-stack semi-auto. If they could make reliable double-stack .22 LR pistols, they'd make those instead.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I have a few .22 handguns. The sweetest would be a S&W K22 Masterpiece. A Ruger Single Six is nice, accurate, and then there is the .22 Mag cylinder option.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I have a few .22 handguns. The sweetest would be a S&W K22 Masterpiece. A Ruger Single Six is nice, accurate, and then there is the .22 Mag cylinder option.
    :thumbsup:

Would eventually like to get a S&W K22 and Ruger Single Six or Ten. Will be picking up a Colt Frontier Scout in the near future (with interchangeable cylinders). Curious how it shoots. The barrels were apparently made on the same production line as the Pythons, so are reputed to be relatively accurate.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    No doubt about it
    Ruger Mk II
    Very accurate.
    We use bottle caps for targets.

My wife shoots bottle caps with her 1911 :party29: She's not quite as good with her Heritage Rough Rider .22, but its a fun gun to shoot.

Attachments

• IMG_1274.JPG
      IMG_1274.JPG
      47.4 KB · Views: 230

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    That's one of the more interesting questions asked around here.

The High Standards and the Colt woodsman's all predate Bill Rugers Mk 1 design. He gets on credit for the geometry.

Now we have M&P versions that mimic the full frame polymer pistols with more of the 1911 angle.

There is just something inherently attractive about the luger angle. I think the 1911 is better at managing recoil, but since that isn't an issue with a 22, the luger geometry has persisted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom