• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The DC reg says that while carrying the pistol you may carry no more ammo than that can be used to load the pistol twice, and in no event more than 20 rounds. This means if you chamber a round, and top off the mag, the your other mag can only contain 9 rounds. The reg address the CARRY of THE PISTOL, IMO meaning they expect you to carry only one pistol

Having spare mags in the car if you are not carrying them would seem to indicate they'd be legal, if you have the gun registered in DC. I don't see any restriction on the possession of any specific amount of ammo if not carrying.

But IANAL. Maybe Rascal can chime in here with his interpretation of the reg.

But while carrying, you are limited to 20 rounds total. And note the use of the phrase "to load the pistol twice."

IMO transport is different than carry, just like transporting is not carrying.

But Stove hit the nail, 20 rounds max while carrying. I would not push it by playing semantics with the wording of the regs.

Attachments

• DC ammo limit.jpg
      DC ammo limit.jpg
      24 KB · Views: 366

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    The DC reg says that while carrying the pistol you may carry no more ammo than that can be used to load the pistol twice, and in no event more than 20 rounds. This means if you chamber a round, and top off the mag, the your other mag can only contain 9 rounds. The reg address the CARRY of THE PISTOL, IMO meaning they expect you to carry only one pistol

Having spare mags in the car if you are not carrying them would seem to indicate they'd be legal, if you have the gun registered in DC. I don't see any restriction on the possession of any specific amount of ammo if not carrying.

But IANAL. Maybe Rascal can chime in here with his interpretation of the reg.

But while carrying, you are limited to 20 rounds total. And note the use of the phrase "to load the pistol twice."

IMO transport is different than carry, just like transporting is not carrying.

But Stove hit the nail, 20 rounds max while carrying. I would not push it by playing semantics with the wording of the regs.

You bring up an interesting question. I'd like to see what Rascal's interpretation of CARRY of THE PISTOL is too. The way it's explained to me by the persons at the DC gun registration section is that you can carry two guns with one reload per gun but the total number of rounds on your person, whether you carry one or two guns, can't exceed 20.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I agree with this as well. And further I think keeping extra mags in your vehicle would seem legal, as that’s not CARRY.

Of course this is only legal for registered pistols

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I got my prelim approval at about 80 days. My legal class from my previous application was close to expiring and they rejected it. So I need the legal then I'll be good to go.

My legal class has long expired.. but they accepted it. Knowing this I took another class. Waste of money, not really but I'll give a call to them anyway.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I was at 5.5 months until I stopped by today. It seems my application was cancelled a few weeks ago as my address in DC was no longer accurate and they don't roll over to the next address (my Maryland residence) for contact purposes. I can't fault them for that as my application explicitly had my DC address with proof of residency listed as the primary.

Anyway the gentleman was helpful but it was necessary for me to submit a new application with my updated DC residence. Policy states 90 days but it's possible I may hear sooner.

For the record, they are not bothered by being contacted if you have any questions. I stated several times that I had not contacted them as I thought they would not want that - perhaps a legacy of my experiences dealing with MSP. He stated that I should not hesitate if I have any questions or concerns.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    My legal class has long expired.. but they accepted it. Knowing this I took another class. Waste of money, not really but I'll give a call to them anyway.

Not knowing exactly what steps to take , I spoke with CypherPunk about my issue. He gave me Lt Halls email address and explained to me what DC was expecting. CypherPunk clearly knows how this process works. Lt. Hall confirmed exactly what CypherPunk had explained to me and, upon examining my application, was in agreement of what I still needed.

This is not the first time I got great advice from CypherPunk. Five or so years ago, when I applied for a Maryland Handgun Permit, he gave me the correct information and explained the process MSP used to determine whether to issue a permit or not.

CypherPunk is an Officer of MSI (if i recall correctly). He was praised here by Past MSI President Patrick S. CypherPunk has arranged classes at the Frederick IWLA, including Speakers/ Instructors like George Lyon. He has been to several Patriot Picket events.

If you have a question about Maryland or DC carry permits, or need instruction, I urge you to contact CypherPunk.

I should be able to pick up my DC permit next week!

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Not knowing exactly what steps to take , I spoke with CypherPunk about my issue. He gave me Lt Halls email address and explained to me what DC was expecting. CypherPunk clearly knows how this process works. Lt. Hall confirmed exactly what CypherPunk had explained to me and, upon examining my application, was in agreement of what I still needed.

This is not the first time I got great advice from CypherPunk. Five or so years ago, when I applied for a Maryland Handgun Permit, he gave me the correct information and explained the process MSP used to determine whether to issue a permit or not.

CypherPunk is an Officer of MSI (if i recall correctly). He was praised here by Past MSI President Patrick S. CypherPunk has arranged classes at the Frederick IWLA, including Speakers/ Instructors like George Lyon. He has been to several Patriot Picket events.

If you have a question about Maryland or DC carry permits, or need instruction, I urge you to contact CypherPunk.

I should be able to pick up my DC permit next week!

Next week you say?

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=224494

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Seven months later, mine was in today's mail. A pleasant surprise was that the 2 year term begins when it's issued (which was 2 days ago). I was afraid it would be when I applied, back in November.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Seven months later, mine was in today's mail. A pleasant surprise was that the 2 year term begins when it's issued (which was 2 days ago). I was afraid it would be when I applied, back in November.

Any specific reason yours took 7 months outside of "processing?" Paperwork issues? Training?

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Any specific reason yours took 7 months outside of "processing?" Paperwork issues? Training?

A few months ago I got a notice that I didn't have live fire documented (even though I did), so I resent the paperwork. It would've taken longer except I called a few days ago & asked Ofc King if there were any more problems. He apologized & said it would go out the next day.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Received my permit Friday/Saturday after 50 days on reapplication. First app got cancelled because of some paperwork issues.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Finally......8/14/2018 Applied in October 2017.. The last 20 days were on me....

Glad to know I can register additional handguns Via Mail!

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Last week I called Virginia State Police CCL desk to ask about renewal (my Va non resident licence expires in January). They said they are running 6-8 months processing/wait time on non resident renewals. That is not including the week or two lost waiting for packet and returning it. If you don't use the packet you have to , in my experience, pay DC to fingerprint, whereas DC will print for free if you supply them with the Va print card.

So DC times are bad, but Virginia is running insanely bad. fortunately the DC CCL is valid in Virginia

MdGunFiend

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 26, 2012
    Last week I called Virginia State Police CCL desk to ask about renewal (my Va non resident licence expires in January). They said they are running 6-8 months processing/wait time on non resident renewals. That is not including the week or two lost waiting for packet and returning it. If you don't use the packet you have to , in my experience, pay DC to fingerprint, whereas DC will print for free if you supply them with the Va print card.

So DC times are bad, but Virginia is running insanely bad. fortunately the DC CCL is valid in Virginia

I have non resident too, Mine expires in july of next year. What is required to renew? (gun training etc). Why would renewals take longer than the original application for permit? But I was thinking about letting it expire, and just get the Utah permit.

But what do you mean DC CCL is valid in Virginia ? you saying a dc carry permit works in Virginia ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom