Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old July 30th, 2018, 12:11 AM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyMcNab View Post
As far as where to start when you find your unit, I start on where I will park and if I will be based camping or out in the woods. Our more successful hunts we stayed in a USFS campground (the only ones there) and had the luxury of all our stuff every night.

We are going to ID again this October chasing deer and elk. We know fully well that we may not score, but it is worth it.
Great info Crabby. If you don't mind sharing, what unit in ID will you and have hunted?

October means rifle hunting? I was thinking I would go earlier as I think most rifle OTC tags are bull elks. I feel like an any elk tag would offer more opportunities even though you have to hey closer for archery. Guess that balance could go either way.
MoJoy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2018, 05:36 PM #12

A friend here went to Wyoming with his gun sighted in here, and couldn't hit anything.
He said the elevation made a big difference in the POI. Not sure how to deal with that unless you sight -in at elevation.
He's an excellent shot, BTW. Got an Antelope.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2018, 05:17 PM #13

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47

few tips, look for water holes/wallows. I have lots of elk in my area during hunting season but I also have lots of hunters. The problem I have is hunters running around like idiots pushing the elk. Especially during rifle. Its best if you can get out during bow season. They arent like hunting white tail. The only similarity is they come to water holes at dusk. They may be patternable but around here they dont have a pattern. other than they come into this area during mating season. They can run 1 mile at 35-40mph on flat ground...so depending how bad you scare them off they can be a long ways away. Ive been burned so many times by other hunters its ridiculous--they ride in on their atv's and expect to see an elk, they bugle off their atv and expect to see/hear something....

Air Force Veteran--20yrs 14 days
wilcam47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2018, 05:56 PM #14

You should watch the Born and Raised Outdoors Youtube series. They hunted all those states last year 50 days straight I think, mainly to promote OTC tags and public land. Epic watch.
Silverlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2018, 06:08 PM #15

You should check out Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. The Maryland Chapter has their annual banquet on Saturday August 25th at Martin's Eastwind from 10:30am to 4:30pm. It is a great conservation group that helps conserve habitat for Elk in the west as well as reintroducing them back on the east coast.

PM me if you want more info.
bbgunn177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2018, 03:01 PM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcam47 View Post
few tips, look for water holes/wallows. I have lots of elk in my area during hunting season but I also have lots of hunters. The problem I have is hunters running around like idiots pushing the elk. Especially during rifle. Its best if you can get out during bow season. They arent like hunting white tail. The only similarity is they come to water holes at dusk. They may be patternable but around here they dont have a pattern. other than they come into this area during mating season. They can run 1 mile at 35-40mph on flat ground...so depending how bad you scare them off they can be a long ways away. Ive been burned so many times by other hunters its ridiculous--they ride in on their atv's and expect to see an elk, they bugle off their atv and expect to see/hear something....
Thanks for the info Wilcam!!! I am getting my archery hunting safety course done this September. It is not required for MD. Which unit do you hunt? I was considering 22 but do not have an overly compelling reason other than decent success percentages last few years. I have read wolves are a problem in this unit.

On another note, thanks for your service. I did 14 years in the Navy and my wife did a few years in the air force.
MoJoy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2018, 03:25 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoy99 View Post
Great info Crabby. If you don't mind sharing, what unit in ID will you and have hunted?

October means rifle hunting? I was thinking I would go earlier as I think most rifle OTC tags are bull elks. I feel like an any elk tag would offer more opportunities even though you have to hey closer for archery. Guess that balance could go either way.
We went to Palisades. There aren’t many tags left for ID. Plus, as of July 31, all the left over quota tags over are open to all to obtain 2nd tags. They should go quick? At least that is what I have found. Tex Creek and Palisades are two of the units that do not have a quota for the general tags.

We plan on hiking in as far as we can and glass. Make a move from there. Worked before, should work again.

Good advice as well from the guys below

www.nleomf.com - National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund

www.wffoundation.org - Wildland Firefighter Foundation
CrabbyMcNab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2018, 09:45 PM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoy99 View Post
Thanks for the info Wilcam!!! I am getting my archery hunting safety course done this September. It is not required for MD. Which unit do you hunt? I was considering 22 but do not have an overly compelling reason other than decent success percentages last few years. I have read wolves are a problem in this unit.

On another note, thanks for your service. I did 14 years in the Navy and my wife did a few years in the air force.
I hunt up north in the Panhandle (area 5). I think this year I will be ready to kill something. So long as I can avoid the idiots. The yellow jackets are bad this year so be prepared if you get something down in the morning.

Also thanks for y'all's service as well

Old August 6th, 2018, 09:53 PM #19

Quote:
The yellow jackets are bad this year so be prepared if you get something down in the morning.
So what are you saying, the bees come in and eat your meat while you are packing it out??
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2018, 09:56 PM #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
So what are you saying, the bees come in and eat your meat while you are packing it out??
its like nothing you can imagine...within minutes they swarm the kill...Im hoping for a late evening kill that way I can quarter the animal and get out of there. I'll have plenty of time during evening but if its a morning kill its going to be bad. Ive heard you can use black pepper and it helps keep them away a little but still a pain.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports

Tags
archery, elk, hunt, idaho, rifle