Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I clean mine with chainmail which helps smooth it out as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I love cast iron. Too bad it's sold out! I have new Lodge and antique Griswold cast iron. In my limited, non-professional experience, both cook very well. I love the smooth machined finish of the Griswold, but I don't have a problem at all with the rough finish of the Lodge. I did however smooth one Lodge skillet with good results. Many reviewers I have seen seem to think the rough finish comes from the seasoning process, which it doesn't. It comes from casting the iron. They use coarse sand for the mold. Some reviewers seem perplexed as to what mystery material the seasoning is too. Lodge uses soybean oil for the seasoning. It's not a chemical seasoning. Seasoning isn't a once in a while process either. It happens over time and every time you cook. Cook, clean, oil, repeat.

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    Did cowboys really use these, as much as they are suggested in the movies?
    They had to travel light if just on horseback, in a wagon or wagon train, setting up a family moving west makes sense, but a lone cowboy, do not

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    They had to travel light if just on horseback, in a wagon or wagon train, setting up a family moving west makes sense, but a lone cowboy, do not
    Yes.. group of cowboys typically have wagons to carry their supplies. Aka chuckwagons

http://cowboyandchuckwagoncooking.blogspot.com/2010/03/early-cookware-that-titillated-mans.html?m=1

Unless they travel individually..

https://www.offthegridnews.com/extr...arried-with-them-in-the-wild-west-to-survive/

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA

Probably not when traveling alone, although it's not like they had a lot of alternatives back then.

But, on cattle drives, definitely (and yes they do still exist). The gentleman (Kent Rollins) whose videos I linked above, owns a 1800's Studebaker Chuck Wagon and still goes out on cattle drives and cooks for the cow hands. He and his wife own and run Red River Ranch catering, that specializes in cast iron cooking.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Are some brands of the old ones better then the others? Which ones should I look for?

My mother's cast iron skillets (which my sister now owns since my mom's passing) didn't have any names on them. But I do believe they all were probably made in the 1920's to 1940's.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    What is the best way to clean one of these when you are done cooking with it? I just bought a small Lodge to start playing around with and getting the hang of. I cooked eggs on it the other morning for the first time and it was a bit of a pain to get it clean. I know they say don’t use soap to clean them.

I have a set of my grandmothers I will break out once I get it figured out.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    What is the best way to clean one of these when you are done cooking with it? I just bought a small Lodge to start playing around with and getting the hang of. I cooked eggs on it the other morning for the first time and it was a bit of a pain to get it clean. I know they say don’t use soap to clean them.

Think 'get most all the debris out' and not 'clean the pan'.

While warm, put water and salt in the pan to make a slurry, and then use a stiff brush to get most of the gunk out.

Rinse, and wipe dry, then put some vegetable oil on a paper towel, and wipe the pan down. Done.

Not 100% 'clean', but that is the nature of cast iron.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

First off, you must have a well seasoned pan/skillet to fry eggs or it will be very difficult to clean. But to your question about cleaning, I use sea salt and a non abrasive pad or chainmail device you can buy from Amazon or other places.

Heat the pan/skillet to about 100 degrees, then barely wet the pan/skillet, add about a tablespoon of sea salt and start scrubbing. Again, once you have it well seasoned, it will be easier to clean.

Just an FYI, my mother would use dish soap to clean her pans/skillets but they were more than 60 years old.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I do occasionally use a little bit of soap (Dawn - 1 -2 drops) and a brush to clean iron when something gets burned on and really sticks. Normally, I just use a brush and very hot water. I think the trick is to get the pan real hot so that it dries quickly and then wipe it down with oil (I use olive oil). I've got about a dozen iron pans and skillets that we use on a regular basis but the best of the lot is one that belonged to my great-great grandmother which likely dates back to the 1880s-90s.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    Just ordered a $15 Lodge pan. Will see if I can grind and sand it down smooth just like Grandma's.

Like I have time for another project...

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    First off, you must have a well seasoned pan/skillet to fry eggs or it will be very difficult to clean. But to your question about cleaning, I use sea salt and a non abrasive pad or chainmail device you can buy from Amazon or other places.

Heat the pan/skillet to about 100 degrees, then barely wet the pan/skillet, add about a tablespoon of sea salt and start scrubbing. Again, once you have it well seasoned, it will be easier to clean.

Just an FYI, my mother would use dish soap to clean her pans/skillets but they were more than 60 years old.

I figured that out the hard way haha. Eggs might not have been the best choice for first time use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom