Cowboy Action *firearm Recognition* what is this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    From the most recent episode of AMC's "Hell on Wheels"
    entitled "Scabs"
    takeaim.jpg
    shot with something he calls a long rifle. When I first glanced at it I thought it was a Winchseter Lever, but this Image makes me think maybe it was a Sharps.

a survey of the experts says???

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    No doubt something from the Golden Age of Single Shot Black Powder Cartridge Rifles.

You can't see the action, but a Sharps is most likely.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    its hard to tell cause you can not see the action, I figure a sharps or a high wall. But it would be early for a high wall.

I am sure guy will be along shortly and straighten us out.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Current issue of Guns of the Old West has a story in the guns from Hell on Wheels, but no real info on this rifle. Producers try to stay period accurate, but they admit they push it by a few years in one or two instances. (And the train is made of wood and styrofoam.)

Can you find any better pictures? I'd guess Sharps, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    Current issue of Guns of the Old West has a story in the guns from Hell on Wheels, but no real info on this rifle. Producers try to stay period accurate, but they admit they push it by a few years in one or two instances. (And the train is made of wood and styrofoam.)

Can you find any better pictures? I'd guess Sharps, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Hey Hodgepodge...I couldn't find your email at work...

Its a sharps...I went back to the episode and watched the scene including pausing in some places. It was pretty clear to me when he cocked back that huge hammer.

Fionnros thought the scoped western sniper rifle was "COOOOOLLL"
    Now I think I must add one to my collection - including scope.

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    Not that Hollywood would give a second thought about that!

They'd use a Ruger No. 1 if it was convenient.

That HBO Pacific miniseries had the Marines on Guadelcanal armed with 03-A3s. Drove me nuts.

Marines are always the last to be issued new equipment. Marine Raiders, in particular, preferred the 1903, believing it to be more forgiving of hard use in water, sand and mud. There were plenty of Marines with 03-A3s at Guadalcanal.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That WWII Database looks great. I can see myself getting lost in that site. Thanks for the link.

You're right, the Marines pretended they didn't want Garands for a long time. They didn't get them until well into '43.

But those are 1903 rifles the Marines are using in August-September of '42. They are not the 03A3s which have the huge honking rear sight towering above the receiver all the way in the back.

The tv show not only used A3s, but insisted on plenty of close ups just to make it obvious. They might as well have used M16s.

What's really annoying, Low Number 03s are generally a LOT cheaper than 03A3s. They could have used the correct rifle, and saved 50%.

Attachments

• October 2011 053.jpg
      October 2011 053.jpg
      69.3 KB · Views: 263
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205