• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I'm sure this has been addressed before, but since I am a relative newcomer to MD politics I have to ask.

Is it possible that we could bypass Annapolis and petition to have a Shall Issue proposition added to the ballot in one of the coming elections so that the citizens could make the choice? Or are there too many batsh*t crazy lefty liberals in MD to even make the attempt?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    DD214 said:
    I'm sure this has been addressed before, but since I am a relative newcomer to MD politics I have to ask.

Is it possible that we could bypass Annapolis and petition to have a Shall Issue proposition added to the ballot in one of the coming elections so that the citizens could make the choice? Or are there too many batsh*t crazy lefty liberals in MD to even make the attempt?
    Damn good question. As for the petittion, the antis would not be allowed to stop it if there are enough pro-gun people signing it. If it did not get media attention, then there might be enough antis not voting that it might just work (maybe a long shot though and I don't know if anyone has ever taken a poll of MD registered voters' attitude on the subject to know which side is in the majority here)

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    It is hard to say how reliable a poll would be based on my experience with this subject. Outside of those in the know, I have found that most people have never pondered the concept of Shall Issue. In fact, based on my experience, many people, including gun owners, have never heard of it. Many people that I have spoken with were initially against the idea of Shall Issue, but when I made them aware of the fact that the majority of the states are already Shall Issue, they are initially surprised and then most agree that maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea after all. After pointing out the provable benefits, such as crime reduction using Florida as an example, almost everyone I have debated has ended up agreeing with me that MD should be a Shall Issue state. They may not be passionate about it, but they at least agree in principle.

Educating the public on this subject should be a primary goal of the pro-CCW crowd. I think that if more people really understood the subject and that MD is not in step with the rest of the country on this issue that they may be more sympathetic to our goals.

The only problem, especially in MD, is the proportion of Moonbat Liberals to Reasonable Humans (Rep. and Dem.) that are present in the population. I have no idea what that proportion is, but based on Maryland's reputation with the rest of the country, and many of this state's policies, MD appears to be just a larger version of Berkley, CA. If that is the case then we are screwed.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    i think education is the key. this needs to happen before it can be brought to a ballot. most people fear what they do not know, which has been shown numerous times throughout history.

Jas

Jan 7, 2006
    Dares Beach
    Delegate Don Dwyer is going to put in 2 bills:
    The first bill is his previous CCW bill (Citizens Protection Act of 2005) except it will apply to women only -- the "Women and Children Protective Act of 2006."
    The second would simply remove the 'good and substantial reason....' clause from the existing CCW (which he's going to call the "Maryland Shall Issue" bill.

Delegate Michael Smigiel will put in three pro-gun bills:
    Ballistic Fingerprinting repeal
    Repeal internal lock requirement
    "McDonald's" reasonable stop law

Delegate John Cluster will put in:
    Florida-style "Castle Doctrine"

Delegate Robert Costa will put in:
    Constitutional amendment: "A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use."

These are some of the bills that are going in front of the legislature this session. Totaly agree that educating the general public on "Right to Carry" is key in trying to get anything pushed thru Annapolis, and by the way I would be more than happy to sign the petition. We will be trying to educate as much of the public that will listen this Saturday at the Bowie library check thread http://www.marylandshooters.com/showthread.php?t=224:mdpatriot

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Is it possible that we could bypass Annapolis and petition to have a Shall Issue proposition added to the ballot

I can't recall the numbers right now, but I think it was something like 42,000 signatures needed for a referendum.

But to answer your question, YES it is possible, but it's highly improbable that it would work.

And if we open that can of worms, what's to keep the anti's from getting a referendum on banning all handguns in Maryland? :eek:

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Jas said:
    Delegate Robert Costa will put in:

Constitutional amendment: "A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use.":mdpatriot
    HOUSE BILL 529

Sponsored By:
    Delegates Costa, Aumann, Bartlett, Bates, Boschert, Boteler, Bromwell, Cluster, Donoghue, Dwyer, Eckardt, Elliott, Frank, Gilleland, Impallaria, Jennings, Kach, Kohl, Kullen, Leopold, McDonough, McMillan, Miller, Rudolph, Sophocleus, Sossi, Stocksdale, Stull, and Weldon

Entitled:
    Declaration of Rights - Right to Keep and Bear Arms

http://mlis.state.md.us/2006rs/billfile/hb0529.htm
    House Action
    2/1
    First Reading Judiciary (To be comtinued) :)

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    [QUOTEi think education is the key][/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. People with no knowledge of firearms fear them because of what they hear in the news and see from Hollywood. They buy into the anti's lies...."Anybody can carry a gun!.....There'll be shootouts over parking spaces!....It'll be like the wild west again!"

I try to take non-shooters to the range any chance I get. While I don't think I've converted anybody to being as pro gun as you or I, I think I've educated them a little and given them some honest perspective on firearms and gun laws.

They're usually amazed that they:

can't just walk into a pawnshop and walk out with a handgun

have to wait 7 days to get a handgun

have to fill out ALL of that paperwork perfectly

can't even stop to use a restroom on the way home from the gunstore or range

can't load magazines before getting to the range

can't have a permit to carry when they want to....they have to be assaulted three times before they're even given reasonable consideration.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Spot77 said:
    can't load magazines before getting to the range
    Uh oh. Is this illegal if the magazine is stored separately from the firearm? I always load my magazines before I head to the range, but keep the gun separated from the magazines during transport.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Jim Sr said:
    HOUSE BILL 529

Sponsored By:
    Delegates Costa, Aumann, Bartlett, Bates, Boschert, Boteler, Bromwell, Cluster, Donoghue, Dwyer, Eckardt, Elliott, Frank, Gilleland, Impallaria, Jennings, Kach, Kohl, Kullen, Leopold, McDonough, McMillan, Miller, Rudolph, Sophocleus, Sossi, Stocksdale, Stull, and Weldon

Entitled:
    Declaration of Rights - Right to Keep and Bear Arms

http://mlis.state.md.us/2006rs/billfile/hb0529.htm
    House Action
    2/1
    First Reading Judiciary (To be continued) :)

Prior Year Introduction As: SB 379/02 - JPR

Read the 2002 Bill

Fiscal Note: 2002 Bill

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    DD214 said:
    Uh oh. Is this illegal if the magazine is stored separately from the firearm? I always load my magazines before I head to the range, but keep the gun separated from the magazines during transport.
    Grey area. I have heard of a case where the guy was acquited, but I have not been able to find this case. The written law does not specify anything about the magazine and it just refers to the handgun itself being unloaded. I guess it all depends on court precedence on this one. I usually have a loaded magazine myself seperate from the pistol. Maybe I'll be the one to set precedent one way or the other if I get charged, but I won't change my ways until then.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    ^ i really dont think your gun is considered loaded if the mags are stacked. i always preload my 10/22 mags. i just dont put them in the gun, and they are in a separate case.

it being illegal to have your mags unloaded is just plain illogical... oh wait, i forgot who im talking about here... :sad20:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom