• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    I am in the final stages of buying for my AR-10. I have purchased literally everything except the gas system because I know zero about it.
    It’s an 18” 308 barrel from Aero, going on Aero M5 upper with Aero BGC and I have a carbine length buffer system.
    Can someone advise on what I’m supposed to buy as far as gas system goes.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Is the barrel set up for a carbine gas length? What is the barrel diameter at the gas block? These two items should have been given in the barrel description/ specifications. That information will help in determining what to get.

Q

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Is the barrel set up for a carbine gas length? What is the barrel diameter at the gas block? These two items should have been given in the barrel description/ specifications. That information will help in determining what to get.

Q

Also, IIRC, dimensions under the handguard. Some adjustable gas blocks wont fit under the handguard.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I am in the final stages of buying for my AR-10. I have purchased literally everything except the gas system because I know zero about it.
    It’s an 18” 308 barrel from Aero, going on Aero M5 upper with Aero BGC and I have a carbine length buffer system.
    Can someone advise on what I’m supposed to buy as far as gas system goes.

AR-10's use a mid-length gas system or a intermediate gas system. Go look the barrel up online and see what it says, then buy the appropriate gas tube.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    From a quick google, looks like a rifle length, .750 block area. OP (Robbiedigital) will need to confirm. Will there be a significant difference using a carbine length buffer with a rifle length gas system?

Q

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    From a quick google, looks like a rifle length, .750 block area. OP (Robbiedigital) will need to confirm. Will there be a significant difference using a carbine length buffer with a rifle length gas system?

Q

The buffer system has no bearing on the gas system. The only thing that the buffer system does is help cycle the rifle. Apples and oranges, apples and oranges.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Both their 18" bbls seem to have .750" gas journals.

Would not the gas system have some say as to what buffer weight you choose?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Both their 18" bbls seem to have .750" gas journals.

Would not the gas system have some say as to what buffer weight you choose?

No. Ask the same question in regards to the AR-15 gas systems and buffer systems. You have mid length on a rifle buffer, a carbine on a rifle buffer, a dissipator on a carbine buffer, a rifle length on a carbine buffer, etc... None of those combinations affect the cycling of the platform.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    No. Ask the same question in regards to the AR-15 gas systems and buffer systems. You have mid length on a rifle buffer, a carbine on a rifle buffer, a dissipator on a carbine buffer, a rifle length on a carbine buffer, etc... None of those combinations affect the cycling of the platform.

I know nothing about AR 10s(as you know :D).

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    Can you link a gas system that will work for this setup? I read on a few sites a lot of people buy adjustable blocks to fine tune their rifles.
    I’m a beginner not looking to tune anything I just want it to cycle correctly. Heard the AR-10’s were finnicky and so I tried to buy strictly aero parts as best I could to ensure everything fits properly

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    So I have basically figured out I need a rifle length system and the block should be .750. How do I know which profile I need?

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    So I have basically figured out I need a rifle length system and the block should be .750. How do I know which profile I need?

What is the length of your handguard, and what is the minimum inside diameter of the handguard? Most low profile tubes fit under the handguard, but it depends on what you have.

Q

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Any low-pro gas block should fit under that rail. Make sure you get one made of steel(not aluminum). It will probably need to be a set screw type and not a clamp on. You'll need to go on Aero's site and get the ID specs on the rail to make sure. If you find out that a clamp on block will fit, you might consider using one, as they stress the barrel the least.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom