New Unattended Emissions Inspection Kiosk.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I cleared the check engine code today on my 08 Cobalt with 218k miles. The code was P0301, something about a misfire on cylinder 1. I used a bluetooth ODBII device I purchased on Amazon for $25 and my android tablet.

I was on my 3rd extension and had a $10 late fee. I paid $29. They tested and asked if I may have had a battery replaced recently--I didn't deny that claim. They gave me another 6 weeks and said the computer needs at least a week to run before testing. They refunded my $29 and said if I come in before the next due date then the fee will only be $19.

I guess I'm going to have to take it to the mechanic to get it fixed before a failed emissions test. The car's blue book is worth only $1000 but otherwise runs great. The code indicates anything from a bad spark plug to compression problems. I guess if it's the former we'll get it fixed.

Can you clear the code and see if it comes back?

Everyone I know with older daily economy car gassers just clear the codes, drive around long enough so the readiness monitors complete (hopefully without tripping the same code) and go do the emissions.

That is exactly what I did with my previous car. Had a P420 and p430 code. Clear the code drove it around for about 10 miles, couple stop and go at lights, highway driving on rt100 and 95, floored the gas couple times, and went to VEIP and it clears. after my car was on and left the VEIP station, less than a mile the light came back on.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I'd prefer that the government know for 5 minutes once every two years where my vehicle is (i.e., at the VEIP kiosk) than know 24/7/365 where my vehicle is and what it is doing. I mean, I have to keep my Transformers hidden now.

Might be a little too late. Your phone is sending out your location every minute, and license plate readers are widespread.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    After clearing the code I drove to the station but they still gave me the "your car is not ready" speech.

The car has 218k miles. If it's a spark plug or something else that's easy to fix then I'll get it repaired before the next due date. But the code also indicated possible compression problems or other more expensive issues. I guess it's good for me to get this looked at now as I have a little money to divert to a new vehicle if need be.

Thanks all for your input.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    They do monitor emissions compliance onboard. There is this little computer in the vehicle that makes sure everything is running correctly with the emissions system. If you are talking about giving the government control to monitor that computer in my vehicle remotely, I think I will take a rain check. I'd prefer that the government know for 5 minutes once every two years where my vehicle is (i.e., at the VEIP kiosk) than know 24/7/365 where my vehicle is and what it is doing. I mean, I have to keep my Transformers hidden now.

My 5th grader has been discussing in class the balancing of "individual rights" with the "common good". Personally, I believe clean air for the common good is well worth the cost (i.e., $10) and the inconvenience (i.e., 30 minutes once every 2 years) to try to keep our air quality decent. I believe the VEIP notice gives us 30 to 45 days to get it done. Just hard to believe that most of us cannot find a VEIP station/kiosk somewhere along our travels during a 30 to 45 day span. Truthfully, I don't see this as a huge imposition on a personal basis.

Now, ask me how i felt about it when I was driving a POS Fairmont with a carburetor on it back in the mid 90's. I hate going to emissions because I knew it would fail and I would have to spend at least the minimum required for the waiver, which is what I did both of the times I had to get it tested. It died in 1998, and since then the only vehicle that has been in our fleet and has failed is the Hyundai Sonata, which is no longer in the "fleet". That thing would eat through O2 sensors.

Anyway, I'm alright with VEIP. The infringement in time/money is extremely low in respect to the benefits we receive from it.

I disagree. I don't need the government telling me that I need to fix my vehicle. You speak out of both sides of your mouth. You espouse how it's such a wonderful system for the good of all, while admitting that you did the absolute minimum to get a waiver rather than fix the pollution issue. SMH

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I disagree. I don't need the government telling me that I need to fix my vehicle. You speak out of both sides of your mouth. You espouse how it's such a wonderful system for the good of all, while admitting that you did the absolute minimum to get a waiver rather than fix the pollution issue. SMH

The best way to fix the pollution problem is not to drive. I did the best thing 16 years ago when I decided to work for myself and work from home. Next best thing is to drive a smaller car that gets great fuel economy. My wife and I do that when we only need to drive ourselves or ourselves and a kid or two.

As far as not needing the government to tell us stuff, I agree. I should be able to shoot whoever I want to, run over whoever I so wish, take advantage of the slower witted, etc. Government robs me of all my freedom. Survival of the fittest and freedom is key.

I did the bare minimum to get by because I HAD NO MONEY. I still obeyed the law, tuned up the vehicle as well as possible, but it was a 1980 Ford Fairmont with 200K+ on it, it was in the middle of the 90's, and I was in law school and broke. I am assuming that the waiver is there to help the poor. Since the mid 90's, none of my vehicles have failed a VEIP test. Granted, got historic tags for the Mustang a couple years ago and the truck is a diesel, but for 2 decades not a single vehicle has failed emissions and today's emissions systems and engines are a lot easier to keep running clean than a 1980 Ford 200 ci straight 6 that was driven hard and hung up wet by my dad. Just took my 1989 Ford Taurus with 246k on it to emissions last month, and it passed with flying colors.

So, I am alright with giving the poor a break with the waiver amount. Nobody should have to buy a new car to pass emissions, but they should have to put some money into the vehicle to make it a little better emissions wise. The current waiver amount is $450. So, $450 in repairs every two years makes the environment a little better and allows those, without sufficient funds to drive a well maintained vehicle, the ability to get to and from work and still put food on the table while polluting the environment a little less.

There, now you have three to four different sides of my mouth.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    As far as not needing the government to tell us stuff, I agree. I should be able to shoot whoever I want to, run over whoever I so wish, take advantage of the slower witted, etc. Government robs me of all my freedom. Survival of the fittest and freedom is key.

I really feel sorry for you if you need the government to tell you those things are wrong and that you think the world would just fall apart without governments telling us how to act. Being a complete douchebag is not necessary just because someone disagrees with your position.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I really feel sorry for you if you need the government to tell you those things are wrong and that you think the world would just fall apart without governments telling us how to act. Being a complete douchebag is not necessary just because someone disagrees with your position.

Sometimes, extreme examples are needed to show a point.

Why is a speed limit needed? Because douchebags think they are Mario Andretti without any thought of the actual consequences from them driving like douches. A poor person has absolutely nothing to lose from an auto accident wherein he/she kills somebody unintentionally. No assets, just declare bankruptcy.

Once upon a time, governments in civilizations thought human sacrifice was just fine. Now, that is morally wrong.

Lot's of meh in all of this. Without government and laws, you really think a bunch of people would be able to get along? Hard enough for most people to get along with all the laws, codes of conduct, etc. in place.

I attribute the ailment to greed.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Perhaps you've been dealing with complete idiots for too long. Not everyone needs "extreme examples". I never said I believe in zero government. I do believe in government sticking to its intended purpose and that is not running our everyday lives.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Perhaps you've been dealing with complete idiots for too long. Not everyone needs "extreme examples". I never said I believe in zero government. I do believe in government sticking to its intended purpose and that is not running our everyday lives.

You think the majority of people would keep their emissions system up to snuff if it wasn't for the $10 every two years VEIP test?

End of the day, we will have to agree to disagree about this. I am almost in favor of a bi-annual vehicle inspection like they have in Virginia. That way, people will be driving vehicles that actually have good brakes, a good suspension, etc.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Nobody's mentioned historic tagged Ford Rangers parked at Home Depot yet?

I remember my "PA Inspected" used truck needed a tie rod end once it I got it inspected in MD. LOL

Yeah, an annual mechanical/safety inspection will identify problems not otherwise ever known without, Oversight and ambiguity will always be the human factor.

Im not sure if it was ignorance or fraud but I watched a Ford tech pull a uncased 1-2 inch outside mic out a toolbox drawer loosely with the wrenches and screwdrivers, put it on a brake rotor and where the measurement was to be recorded he made a fist around the thimble and turned the instrument at least 1/2 a revolution - I couldn't believe it and cant imagine how useless and stripped out it has to be, looked like he was torquing a bolt and then told us our brake rotor was undersize. It was cool this dealer let us walk out and observe, but I never told his boss.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    You think the majority of people would keep their emissions system up to snuff if it wasn't for the $10 every two years VEIP test?

End of the day, we will have to agree to disagree about this. I am almost in favor of a bi-annual vehicle inspection like they have in Virginia. That way, people will be driving vehicles that actually have good brakes, a good suspension, etc.

I worry about my vehicles and keep them in top running condition. I don't worry about others. Wouldn't it be nice if more people just worried about their own stuff? We've become a society who depends on the government to tell us how and what to do.

H-Bar

4th MD Regiment Militia
    Jun 29, 2017
    No emissions for older historic cars

I have three old Historic cars that do not have to go thru emissions anymore. The newest car is an 82 corvette. I don't drive them much but when I had gotten the historic tags I had one emission test and have not seen one since.
    Makes me wonder about all the old Honda's I see going down the road everyday with historic tags (that are supposed to be driven on weekends and holidays only) do they get emissions done? Have they ever had a real inspection done?
    I doubt it!!
    :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom