• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Be prepared to take off a bit more material than you think. Mine worked fine for dry-firing and reset too, but would not fire on a live round. I ended up taking punches, files and sandpaper to the range and did the final fitting right there. Ended up getting it darn near perfect by doing the fitting on site.

Bryan

Ok, after firing and all I finally got around to cleaning the gun today. (yeah, I'm slow)

I noticed that the new trigger safety was always "in". I tried to fire it without touching the safety and it DID FIRE (no round - natch'). So I pushed the trigger forward slightly and the safety popped out. Ok, have to take more off the plastic deal from PRP. Did that dance for a while :mad54: and it got better, but still the safety wouldn't reset by itself. The stupid spacer was getting small :mad54::mad54:, so I came in a used better light and reading glasses.

Turns out the stupid plastic spacer deal was fine as it was :mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54:. The new trigger safety tang was TOO LONG and wouldn't allow the frigg'n safety to reset back to safe.:mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54:

Hitting the exposed tang of the new safety allowed it to pop back out, but now I have gone and sanded off much much too much of the spacer.

Old&tired

Feb 18, 2010
    I am one who joined so I could see the pics in the great write-up this thread began with. I just finished installing the match trigger from XDGuys and I'm fairly impressed. I did need to see the pic of how the new trigger bar stop fit in order to get the thing together, but had no problems. I still have a bit of overtravel but I'll live with that in the interest of proper function. The reset is about as good as it could get and still be reliable. The overall result is not as good as the Fulcrum trigger in one of my Glocks, but still a vast improvement. I think this gun will be a joy to shoot. Thanks much for the help in this thread.

ru211

Apr 5, 2010
    Another satisfied customer

Bought the kit, followed the instructions here... the thing went back together and goes click like it supposed to! Gun used to only shoot good when I came back on the trigger hard. Now, trigger not as sloppy or mushy as before. Off to the range tomorrow!

MDCXD

Nov 27, 2008
    Mt. Airy
    alucard0822 I want to thank you for this great post, this post must have taken some time.

Yesterday, I was at Hap baker shooting my XDm 40 and it let me down for the first time in 2 yrs.

I came home looked up this thred, took the pistol apart, found a broken disassembly bar.
    The new one is already on order.

I couldn't have done it without this post. Thanks again.

brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    bump from the dead? it wasn't that long ago...

You bumped a 2 year old thread. I am bumping it up again. I ordered an XDM 5.25 and from what everyone is saying online the trigger is pretty sloppy. I have an XDM 4.5 and it sloppy in terms of take up, over travel and how far the trigger has to be depressed before reset. I want my 4.5 to retain "combat" reliability. The 5.25 is going to be for the range only. I am really thinking of doing the PRP drop in. Besides PRP and Springer are there any other companys that offer a drop in trigger for the XDM?

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    You can't go wrong with the PRP. If you want to meet at aGC sometime I'll let you shoot my 5.25 with the PRP trigger.

brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    You can't go wrong with the PRP. If you want to meet at aGC sometime I'll let you shoot my 5.25 with the PRP trigger.

Thanks for the offer. I need to make my target stand for the rifle lanes before I go. Been itching to shoot my AR and M1A. A quarter of the year is almost done and I have not used my AGC membership yet. Lol.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    glad it helped:thumbsup:

It is definitely not as good as a high end sig or 1911 trigger, but it about the best trigger that you can get on a plastic striker fired pistol.

I realize this thread is old but could you give me a range report on the trigger job? I see that you loved the trigger based on dry firing but am curious what your groups did after the install.

I am downright terrible with my XDm 40. Is the stock trigger that bad or am I simply unable to shoot the 40 cal?

I'm thinking about dropping in a PRP to reduce the long take up and over travel as a last ditch effort.

Thanks

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I realize this thread is old but could you give me a range report on the trigger job? I see that you loved the trigger based on dry firing but am curious what your groups did after the install.

I am downright terrible with my XDm 40. Is the stock trigger that bad or am I simply unable to shoot the 40 cal?

I'm thinking about dropping in a PRP to reduce the long take up and over travel as a last ditch effort.

Thanks

Been a few years, still shoots well. My groups didn't really change before or after(more a measure of trigger control than the trigger itself IMO), but it did help me shoot faster, stock trigger isn't very good. The stock trigger is kinda like a light switch, long takeup, lots of overtravel, breaks somewhere in the middle, it sucked pretty hard, definitely worse than stock GLOCK or M&Ps. The kit dramatically shortens takeup and overtravel, the stoning work made the break smoother, crisper, possibly a bit lighter. It is unlike GLOCK or M&P triggers in that it is a single stage trigger, there isn't much takeup needed to deactivate the passive safeties, the break is a bit soft, but still short and distinct, overtravel is minimal, and reset is positive, not much travel from start to finish. My M&P pro with plenty of trigger work has taken the top spot for best polyframe trigger I own, even my reworked GLOCKs give the XDM a run for it's money, but it still is a good simple trigger, and easy to shoot well. If I were to get another XDM, I would probably drop the PDP kit in before it's maiden range trip, so definitely worth it. I still like to shoot the pistol, but don't carry it, or use it for defense, no real fault of it, but I have better available. It's easy to shoot well, and with a solid guide rod/heavier spring it really soaks up recoil from hot 500+FPE 40S&W, and is pretty accurate with it.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Been a few years, still shoots well. My groups didn't really change before or after(more a measure of trigger control than the trigger itself IMO), but it did help me shoot faster, stock trigger isn't very good. The stock trigger is kinda like a light switch, long takeup, lots of overtravel, breaks somewhere in the middle, it sucked pretty hard, definitely worse than stock GLOCK or M&Ps. The kit dramatically shortens takeup and overtravel, the stoning work made the break smoother, crisper, possibly a bit lighter. It is unlike GLOCK or M&P triggers in that it is a single stage trigger, there isn't much takeup needed to deactivate the passive safeties, the break is a bit soft, but still short and distinct, overtravel is minimal, and reset is positive, not much travel from start to finish. My M&P pro with plenty of trigger work has taken the top spot for best polyframe trigger I own, even my reworked GLOCKs give the XDM a run for it's money, but it still is a good simple trigger, and easy to shoot well. If I were to get another XDM, I would probably drop the PDP kit in before it's maiden range trip, so definitely worth it. I still like to shoot the pistol, but don't carry it, or use it for defense, no real fault of it, but I have better available. It's easy to shoot well, and with a solid guide rod/heavier spring it really soaks up recoil from hot 500+FPE 40S&W, and is pretty accurate with it.

Thank you. I just need to settle on the easy fit or drop in version.

Awesome if dated post alucard0822, thanks for posting this information. I'm really leaning towards purchasing a PRP Drop In Trigger Kit for my .45 ACP 3.8 Compact XDm as whoever designed the stock trigger should be tarred and feathered. It's by far the worst trigger I've ever pulled, and the reset is just as crappy. I talked with a gal at PRP not long ago and she told me that Rob Leatham uses their triggers in his XD/XDm pistols. I'm just not sure I want to dump anymore money into a pistol I'm not all that happy with.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Awesome if dated post alucard0822, thanks for posting this information. I'm really leaning towards purchasing a PRP Drop In Trigger Kit for my .45 ACP 3.8 Compact XDm as whoever designed the stock trigger should be tarred and feathered. It's by far the worst trigger I've ever pulled, and the reset is just as crappy. I talked with a gal at PRP not long ago and she told me that Rob Leatham uses their triggers in his XD/XDm pistols. I'm just not sure I want to dump anymore money into a pistol I'm not all that happy with.

I agree- the stock trigger is just terrible....I guess OP put it best it's "like a light switch".

I had the same reservation about spending good money after bad but decided on the drop in kit. We can compare notes once I get it and install :party29:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I agree- the stock trigger is just terrible....I guess OP put it best it's "like a light switch".

I had the same reservation about spending good money after bad but decided on the drop in kit. We can compare notes once I get it and install :party29:

It really is unfortunate that the engineers ignored the trigger on an otherwise decent pistol. It is a big rugged pistol, accurate, soft recoiling, and easy to shoot. The newer kits have a trigger mounted over-travel stop instead of the trigger bar block, and it works better. The block in mine has a bit of squish to it, the fitted trigger on a buddy's XD feels a lot more solid. A lot of people like the short single action pull instead of the 2 stage M&P or GLOCK triggers with their long takeup. With the kit it ends up similar to a GLOCK with the Zev Fulcrum trigger, because the striker block gets pushed up directly from a lever instead of by a tab sliding over a button like GLOCK and S&W use, you don't need as much takeup for it to work.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Another Review on PRP XDS & XDM Trigger Kits

Thought I'd breath some life into this thread with another update on PRP products. I was never much of a striker-fired pistol guy until I bought an XDS in .45 (highly recommended by members on this site) last August. I found the trigger to be far better from the factory than other manufacturers, and found I could shoot it pretty well. Generally the trigger was smooth, but still a bit mushy. Even so, the experience convinced me to try an XDM 4.5" in 9mm. Love the pistol and found the factory trigger even better than the XDS - but even so there is always room for improvement, right?

I started with the trigger kit for the XDS, which is just new springs on the striker, sear and trigger. All but one spring went in easy. Getting that last one in was a PIA, but it was more trouble getting the orientation correct as opposed to the actual install. There are no "hard" parts to install, so as you can expect the kit didn't change the motion required of the trigger, but it did smooth the motion out and reduce the trigger pull ever so slightly. It's a noticeable improvement for an $18 spring kit, and leaves the trigger with an improved but very safe pull force. I haven't measured it, but can say its smoother, and less pull. Not a hair/target trigger by any stretch. Overall, it was worth it.

On the XDM, out of the 4 different kits available from PRP I opted for the "Ultimate Match" kit. I wasn't comfortable going with the "Extreme" kit which is advertised to lower the pull down to 2 - 2.5 lbs. A smooth trigger with the advertised 4lbs. in the "Ultimate" kit is plenty light for me. The Ultimate kit includes a new striker safety, new sear, new trigger with over travel stop, and new springs.

Putting the parts in on the XDM was fairly straight forward. The striker safety reset disconnect fit right in and required no fitting. The sear needed to be thinned a hair to move freely, and the edge had to be taken down slightly for the grip safety to properly engage - but both were accomplished with a few strokes across a block with 400+ grit sand paper. The over travel stop on the back of the trigger needed a good bit of adjustment - just be patient - I used a small file followed with some 400 grit paper. I probably assembled, tested, and dissembled the trigger into the frame 20 times making tiny adjustments until the trigger worked, then took a little more off so the trigger was sure to work while pushing down hard on the back/top of the slide as shown in PRP's video. Make sure to do this step because I found it is entirely possible for the trigger not to work with a little downward pressure on the top/rear slide if the tolerance on over travel stop is too tight. A few more strokes with some 400 on a block did the trick. You want it to go bang when you need it too.

I haven't actually shot it yet, but all functions as intended and the XDM trigger is much improved. I am left with about 1/16" (or less) of initial no force take up. Just enough to know your finger is on the trigger and feel resistance. The secondary take up requiring actual pull force is about 3/16" of smooth travel until you get to a clean, crisp break. You know you are pulling the trigger but not left wondering when it will break. It's now very predictable. Another 1/32" at most and the over travel stop kicks in. About 3/16" back out to reset. Very safe, but very impressive over the factory trigger. Apparently the trigger shipped with the kit is a factory Springfield trigger with an optional over travel stop. So it makes you wonder why Springfield would let such a nice pistol out of the factory with the good albeit mushy trigger and no over travel stop?

Anyway, I'll finish by saying although my mechanical skills are well above average, if you go slow keeping track of how things come apart, use the PRP Youtube videos and alucard0822's posts and pics above you shouldn't have much trouble. Each upgrade is going to take a few hours (I cleaned and oiled along the way), but I guarantee as parbreak or someone else said above you will know how to detail strip your pistol. :D

Last edited:

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I've been putting off getting the PRP trigger for some time. Your post might finally get me there.

Glad I could help Ty. The improvement on the XDS was noticeable but marginal - for $18 I'd still do it again. The improvement on the XDM was fantastic. At $145 it is pricey, but the kit includes well machined parts, it is not beyond the capabilities of a mechanically inclined DIY person, and I would definitely do it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom