• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Effective tomorrow PA will no longer recognize ANY VA permit.

VA resident permit holders will need to obtain a PA NR permit to CCW in PA.

PA no longer recognizes any NR permits.

OC in PA is still legal (except in Philadelphia)

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    As a VA NR permit holder, will one be ale to get a PA NR permit?
    This is getting crazy.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    Found old info on Google. Corrected: http://www.mcall.com/news/nationwor...lvania-conceal-carry-guns-20180416-story.html

OC in PA is still legal (except in Philadelphia)

True. Just remember that in PA, "in a car" is considered "concealed", regardless of how you are carrying.

One other thing...OC is legal in PA (except in Philly unless you have a LTCF), but not under a state of emergency. PA's gov has declared a state of emergency to deal with the Opioid Crisis, and it's a lively political discussion whether that "counts" for purposes of carrying. As far as I know, there hasn't been a test-case, but I wouldn't want an out-of-stater to be the first. Wolf's office has issued a statement suggesting that it "doesn't count", but only because it's an election year, and his opponent has made an issue of it. The language mentions permit-holders, so no idea about non-holders.

https://www.publicopiniononline.com...laration-doesnt-affect-gun-rights/1026166001/

Hopefully, Wolf will be gone in November. We'll see. Be nice if you guys could unload McAwful too.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Um not really. VA now recognizes all state permits effective July 1, 2016. PA AG excuse for no longer honoring the VA permit is that VA does not do a NICS check on resident permits. They use their own database. This is why WI only honors VA NR permits because NR permits get a NICS check.

It’s just politics, not safety

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    Um not really. VA now recognizes all state permits effective July 1, 2016. PA AG excuse for no longer honoring the VA permit is that VA does not do a NICS check on resident permits. They use their own database. This is why WI only honors VA NR permits because NR permits get a NICS check.

It’s just politics, not safety

Gosh, you're right. Couldn't find the date on the WaPo article, and Google led me astray. So essentially Wolf/Shapiro are pulling the same crap that VA did back in 2015.

Kind of ironic, since PA doesn't use NICS for actual purchases.

As I said...hopefully they will be gone in November. We ran Crooked Kane out with pitchforks already.

This crap is going to keep happening nationwide, though, because it's easy for governors to screw with CCW reciprocity regs without legislature approval. Kinda hope it does...best possible argument for national reciprocity.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    From looking at the statutes myself, it is my understanding that a permit from any state including a non-resident permit still allows an individual to have a loaded firearm in their vehicle.

https://blog.princelaw.com/2008/9/12/firearms-not-to-be-carried-without-a-license/

However, certain people are excluded from the law (underlined ones are more common exclusions that are generally unknown):

11. Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Found old info on Google. Corrected: http://www.mcall.com/news/nationwor...lvania-conceal-carry-guns-20180416-story.html

True. Just remember that in PA, "in a car" is considered "concealed", regardless of how you are carrying.

One other thing...OC is legal in PA (except in Philly unless you have a LTCF), but not under a state of emergency. PA's gov has declared a state of emergency to deal with the Opioid Crisis, and it's a lively political discussion whether that "counts" for purposes of carrying. As far as I know, there hasn't been a test-case, but I wouldn't want an out-of-stater to be the first. Wolf's office has issued a statement suggesting that it "doesn't count", but only because it's an election year, and his opponent has made an issue of it. The language mentions permit-holders, so no idea about non-holders.

https://www.publicopiniononline.com...laration-doesnt-affect-gun-rights/1026166001/

Hopefully, Wolf will be gone in November. We'll see. Be nice if you guys could unload McAwful too.

This just in from the Pedantic Nitpicking Department. Technically, PA law is "transport" versus "carry" and transport can be in a car, riding a bicycle, or on horseback. With no license of any kind, PA transport laws are similar to , if not worse than, MD as in unloaded, specific destinations, and such. You are covered for transport with any license but then must open carry when you exit (or dismount) without a recognized license. Regarding open carry, see also, the "State of Emergency" caveat mentioned elsewhere.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Gosh, you're right. Couldn't find the date on the WaPo article, and Google led me astray. So essentially Wolf/Shapiro are pulling the same crap that VA did back in 2015.

Kind of ironic, since PA doesn't use NICS for actual purchases.

As I said...hopefully they will be gone in November. We ran Crooked Kane out with pitchforks already.

This crap is going to keep happening nationwide, though, because it's easy for governors to screw with CCW reciprocity regs without legislature approval. Kinda hope it does...best possible argument for national reciprocity.

Again, not exactly.Mcauliff tried to actually tear up 23 reciprocity agreements in their entirety. With the exception of VA, the PA AG only changed the wording of the current agreements to include residents only. The VA GA negotiated with McAwful to reinstate the reciprocity agreements and gave him some other nugget he wanted. I don’t recall what it was however.

The convicted Felon Kane did more damage with her shenanigans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Well, crap. I'm sitting here making some potential vacation plans and I guess PA is now off of the list since one of the things we like to do is to hike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom