• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MoJoy99

Apr 28, 2018
    Fort Washington
    I have youtube'd as much as I can, and I am not sure what direction I want to go in for reloading 20 gauge shotgun slugs. For casting, the obvious choice seems to be the lyman "pellet". If I wanted to take the easy route and bye a box, there are a few more options.

I am shooting a Savage 220, rifled barrel shotgun. I currently use the Remington Accutip, 2 3/4" but think I want to shift to a 3" shell. This is for hunting whitetail. To date, I haven't bagged a deer with a shotgun, but have 2 with a crossbow. This part of MD during shotgun season on public lands is busy.

What do you use? how long are your shots? what is the accuracy at that range?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    In my 870s i use lightfield 2 3/4 (blue box)

In my Benelli i use Federal tactical

In some quick reading it appears the 220 seems to favor the Remington accutips

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    The people I know with 220s all say the accutip is the most accurate slug they've tried. Remington does make a 3'' accutip in 20 gauge.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Sorry... the first thing I thought of was this...

salt-to-a-slug-is-like-truth-to-a-liberal.jpg

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    You've already used your crossbow to demonstrate that all you need to kill them is a sharp stick... I'd not worry about 2-3/4" vs 3" and focus on what shoots best for your shotgun.

MoJoy99

Apr 28, 2018
    Fort Washington
    The accutip is by far the most accurate in my 220 but I was looking to reload something. $25 to $30 for a box is pricey and doesn't offer much in the way of practice shooting.

I was wondering what people reload with. 12 gauge would likely translate well.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    With slugs , the limiting factor is accuracy, not power . Color me Old School , but I like the BRI Original. Used one from Marlin 512 in 12ga to take a deer @ 76yds .

At 50yds, will make one hole groups.

From what I've read on this , loading your own high accuracy sabot slugs is a very arcane artform . Other than actual slug gun benchrest competitors, few people delve into it .

The usual suspects for casting your own can be expected to be about as accurate as Foster slugs with a little load development.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I shoot Federal Fusion Sabots in 2-3/4 or 3" in my 870. I killed a buck in 2011 at 150 yards using these slugs(we ranged it). I missed him with 3 shots but he had no idea where I was and was just turning in circles. Last shot I put crosshairs a few inches over his back and he dropped. I get them at Molly's for $12 a box.

Attachments

• 418952[1].jpg
      418952[1].jpg
      57.8 KB · Views: 402

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    I used Breneke to shoot a qual. Had one on the smallest groups on the line for that qual. Was using a Remington 870. I’m a believer. I buy Brenneke.

durkspunk2112

Aug 23, 2014
    Frederick County, Md.
    I've killed many deer out to 160 yards with my Mossberg 500, rifled barrel, Nikon Slug Master scope, and Hornady SST slugs.

With that being said..that's what works best in my gun. Take your time and try a lot of slugs. Find what works and stick with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom