• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cool_t_1

Sep 14, 2016
    AA County MD
    I am looking to get involved locally with organizations such as this one and others to support 2A rights.

Honestly growing up in South AL I never had to think about 2A issues and everyone I knew carried, hunted, or similar. I cannot say all was legal just due to the back woods area.

So here I am in MD and amazed by the nuances of the laws.

What can I do? I understand joining NRA, MSI, and other orgs and donating funds, but what can else can I do?

Mailing lists for meetings? Local clubs? I was looking at the Meade Rifle and Pistol Club. I do plan to attend the HPRB meetings. Last one I missed due to a situation with my truck.

I am willing to discuss offline if that is better to answer questions about my background etc.

Also looking to do some shooting as well to improve, both pistol and rifle and would like to do some combat shootings style courses.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    If you want to get active, I invite you to keep an eye out for any "Patriot Picket" event or call-out here on the forum.

Our modis operandi is to show up at places where voters and politicians are gathered to deliver 2A messages with our handmade signs. Our crews range from a handful to more than 40 folks at one time. We draw on Maryland Shooters members and anyone who can connect with us via Facebook, too. Google "The Patriot Picket".

To get an idea about Patriot Picket events in the past, just put our group name in the search box and read up. All of our event details--time, date, location, ride-share, etc., are all posted right here on the forum--no need to be on a "list".

I think you would enjoy the activism we engage in.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Welcome to the madness ;)

Seriously, though, look into the several organizations out there who are actively engaged in protecting our rights.

Three of the most active in this area (in addition to local clubs)

Maryland Shall Issue
    Maryland State Rifle & Pistol Association
    Associated Gun Clubs

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Cool tl: while you are at it, click on the red link... MARYLAND 2018: THE FREED STATE ^^^^^in the preceding post and get involved there.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 277

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Welcome to the madness ;)

Seriously, though, look into the several organizations out there who are actively engaged in protecting our rights.

Three of the most active in this area (in addition to local clubs)

Maryland Shall Issue
    Maryland State Rifle & Pistol Association
    Associated Gun Clubs

Not to be obstinate but what does joining a club affiliated with AGC offer to the OP as far as actively working to change things in MD?

I know that AGC used to send their legislative guy to testify and work the legislators in Annapolis during the session but is that an option to any Joe Blow that joins a club?

AGC runs a great range, but I'm fuzzy on how that is working to advance the 2A in MD.

To the OP, if you want to engage in smash mouth politics then your only option, and it's a great one, is to come to the Patriot Picket events. We name and shame the gun grabbers and those in power who want to wipe their backsides with the Constitution.

Plus we have cool swag, lol.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    MSI is a good org and you already found it. If you want activism and comraderie I suggest the Patriot Picket. Our events are out in the open. No keyboard commando stuff while our boots are on the ground at an event. It is refreshing to participate. I still remember foundly the first time an early 60's, Ann Taylor type, libtard with bug sunglasses flipped me the bird from behind the wheel of her 8 series BMW.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Just for the fun of it, I Googled Patriot Picket. Guess who showed up? LOL.

It's our own Rack and Roll, defacto founder of the PP.

Join the fun in shaming the rights grabbers. Support the PP and our Constitution

Attachments

• rack.jpg
      rack.jpg
      136.9 KB · Views: 202

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    I am looking to get involved locally with organizations such as this one and others to support 2A rights.

Welcome! It's awesome that you want to get involved. It takes volunteers to make these organizations operate.

Also looking to do some shooting as well to improve, both pistol and rifle and would like to do some combat shootings style courses.

Can you do weekday dates? Some of us are trying to schedule tactical classes:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=211797

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    If you want to get active, I invite you to keep an eye out for any "Patriot Picket" event or call-out here on the forum.

I think you would enjoy the activism we engage in.

To the OP, if you want to engage in smash mouth politics then your only option, and it's a great one, is to come to the Patriot Picket events. We name and shame the gun grabbers and those in power who want to wipe their backsides with the Constitution.

Plus we have cool swag, lol.

MSI is a good org and you already found it. If you want activism and comraderie I suggest the Patriot Picket. Our events are out in the open. No keyboard commando stuff while our boots are on the ground at an event. It is refreshing to participate..

Join the fun in shaming the rights grabbers. Support the PP and our Constitution

To the OP...I have been involved in many "organizations" over the years and I have never felt more effective or had more fun that I do with my Patriot Picket friends.

The frustration that resulted in years of seemingly fruitless testifying in Annapolis and contacting legislators endlessly like banding my head against a wall were washed away in my first Patriot Picket.

I say again, whether others see it as effective or not, I personally have never felt more useful or effective than I do with that crew.

cool_t_1

Sep 14, 2016
    AA County MD
    Welcome! It's awesome that you want to get involved. It takes volunteers to make these organizations operate.

Can you do weekday dates? Some of us are trying to schedule tactical classes:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=211797

Weekdays would be the toughest for me especially trying to get to Taneytown if that is where it is to be held. I would have to make that trip on an early Sat. morning. I am open though, just my schedule is terribly hectic.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Join MSI. Join MSRPA . ( At state level. At national level join NRA, join & heavily contribute to SAF.)

Assocated Gun Clubs of Balt has traditionally been a major player in 2A . But the action primarily takes place from the top . Not much participatory opportunity directly for the rank & file peons . Not saying here if that is good or bad , but that's how they roll . But by all means if geographically relevant to you, join one of their constituent clubs for all the usual reasons.

As far as I know, the Md Lic Firearms Dealers Assn still offers assocate memberships for the general public. The late Lou Nichols was the driving force for overarching 2A activism within the MLFDA. After Lou's untimely passing , MLFDA's political and legal activities have reverted to being more narrowly focused. Not saying here if good thing / bad thing/ appropriate for a focoused Trade Assn , but that's how they're rolling . By all means consider supporting specific of their activities, but I have impression the OP was seeking broad spectrum , participatory 2A groups.

Join.
    Donate.
    Attend meetings and events.
    Do grass roots outreach to friends, neighbors, coworkers. You don't have to hit a homerun with each one. Any incremental improvements in attitudes about guns, shooting, gun owners, etc is a step in the long term deep game.

Patriot Pickets are boldly jumping with both feet into a high profile, previously underutilized area of advocacy. Come on out, see for yourself, participate as you are inclined.

While PP indeed taps into a sense of frustrations with traditional Lobbying , Traditional Lobbying remains an important and valuable field . Talk with your elected representives in the MGA, and to all the members of the relevant Committees. Send letters, emails, and Faxes . Attend Hearings, and contribute Testimony .

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    We think the Patriot Picket earns its keep by getting 2A messages and strong political statements into the media flow.

How about making the front page of Breitbart this morning? That yellow sign is the Patriot Picket in action.

Attachments

• IMG_8179.jpg
      IMG_8179.jpg
      81.6 KB · Views: 78

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom