• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SC-Texas

Industry Partner
    Oct 12, 2017
    Precision Rifle Foam Insert for Pelican 1750

Some thoughts on my initial outings with the Eaton Tactical Pre cut Foam Insert for the 1750 case.

I have been cutting my own case foam since I started using Pelican 1750 cases. I came across Eaton Tactical on Instagram and bought an insert for my POF P-308. I asked mr. Eaton if he had plans to build a precision rifle insert. I'm sure I'm not the first one or the only one that he was discussing this with. We discussed the equipment that I wanted to have in the case with the rifle. Mr. Eaton sent me this prototype to see how it worked with different stock configurations.

Shipping and packaging: the inserts arrive I. A heavy plastic wrap/bag heat sealed on both ends. Inside, the inserts are in a clear plastic wrap sealed on both ends. The packaging works well for shipping.

When it's removed from the packaging, it fits right in the case. The precision rifle foam set includes 3 foam inserts.
    1. A solid bottom layer
    2. An intermediate layer with all cut outs. One end of this layer is cut to fit around the wheels on the Pelican 1750.
    3. The third layer has all of the cutouts and is the last one stacked in the bottom of the case. You could call this the top layer.
    4. The lid uses the OEM Pelican foam that originally came with the case

So, the short answer is it works very well. The only rifle that doesn't fit in it without trimming is the AI chassis. That's going to require the knife.

Since this is a prototype, some input from everyone would be appreciated.

1. Carry the rifle scope up toward the handle or scope down toward the hinges.
    2. What cutouts need to be in the case? In other words what equipment do you want to carry in your 1750 case with the rifle?

1. Rifle
    2. Bolt separate from rifle
    3. Sunshade
    4. Bipod.
    5. Suppressor. Bare or in suppressor cover or in Heat proof pouch?
    6. Cleaning kit
    7. Laser range finder
    8. Dope book. How big is your book?
    9. Magazines
    10. Cleaning rod

What should be in the case with the rifle? Any thoughts?

To order. Go to www.Eatontacticalinnovations.com and use the contact page to and Frank Eaton about them. They are not listed yet.

5329801574fc6b8865a5b31eea644495.jpg

547939276966df1d8f6c24b15951ebcf.jpg

bac2e3ac7d7f1c923c2dfc6d28e26fe4.jpg

4e1f4a4181c800fa1f5dc6f6acff4f06.jpg

e09067dec5a1a16087274ddfd32073d1.jpg

31f6e5e7c3b0aa36d3eb67e8ad8ad79b.jpg

fd6719868a84f03e03f8e3e9b6ce5026.jpg

c53c8a52bad63ae14931e4bf4cf0f7e9.jpg

2fc184c26e524107b616e4e5f5025097.jpg

1968a15c1888446d71ecdf795137843f.jpg

d6d1c33403ff1945ece5c97ced65b0f4.jpg

43269ef1117cedde3fb5fc6db8b5c63f.jpg

2304007159452748cf24dcb5269e93ac.jpg

72fd46545758a8e07ff0b53994f7c6e3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I prefer to not remove the bipod. My last foam I cut with the bipod attached, worked out okay. Also made a spot for the sling rolled up. Basically copied the layouts from Patriot Cases and/or Case Club. They sometimes cut a pistol & mag spot in also (the 1750 is huge and has room for it) but I haven’t done that, at least yet.

Are you or the other guy you mention going to market pre-cut foam slabs, rifle-specific, or just the foam slab blanks? I’m not 100% sure what your exact question, or goal is. I think pre-cut custom foam slabs would be great if that’s your end game.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Looks like he's gauging interest for pre-cut foam. I can see where a segment of shooters may be interested, as the idea of cutting the foam yourself (and possibly screwing it up) can initially seem daunting. I know it had me slightly nervous when I got my 1750.

I know Pelican offers the pre-cut, and will do it from an uploaded pic of your firearm - but I never inquired about the cost/time needed to do so.

Personally, I have a rather thin dope book - along with cheat sheet labels inside the lids of my ammo cases for quicker reference. I actually like to slip that behind the foam on the lid, along with some pre-printed targets. Leaves more room for other items I may want to stow in the foam. I also prefer to be able to have a few AICS mags in the case - cause it always sucks to grab the wrong ammo box and end up leaving your mags at home (BTDT).

This was my first time cutting foam, electric carving knife, and there's room for improvement admittedly. I may get another slab and do another insert as I also have a secondary stock for this rifle that I'm fond of.

23154959_10214742499025499_7198371146383384331_o.jpg

SC-Texas

Industry Partner
    Oct 12, 2017
    Someone elsewhere asked what foam was used

It is Polyethylene 2lb closed end cell

SC-Texas

Industry Partner
    Oct 12, 2017
    I prefer to not remove the bipod. My last foam I cut with the bipod attached, worked out okay. Also made a spot for the sling rolled up. Basically copied the layouts from Patriot Cases and/or Case Club. They sometimes cut a pistol & mag spot in also (the 1750 is huge and has room for it) but I haven’t done that, at least yet.

Are you or the other guy you mention going to market pre-cut foam slabs, rifle-specific, or just the foam slab blanks? I’m not 100% sure what your exact question, or goal is. I think pre-cut custom foam slabs would be great if that’s your end game.
    Eaton tactical is cutting them. I ordered an AR10 from Eaton and we started talking about pre cut for precision rifles. And the subject came up as to what I carried to the range or hunting with a bolt gun.

Frank Eaton is making some modifications to the cuts based on the feedback he is seeing.

Order from him. Third Coast thermal isn't selling them as of yet.

One change is there will be a cut to allow leaving the bipod on the rifle

Another is enlarging the suppressor cut out to allow storage of the suppressor In a pouch or cover.

SC-Texas

Industry Partner
    Oct 12, 2017
    Sean why are you in a Maryland forum?
    Good question. Because I post stuff for Clifford at Third Coast Thermal, a from soonsor.

My day job is being a gun trust lawyer in Texas. Being that I'm a lawyer and all.

I use Clifford's thermal weapons sights when hunting. I have my own to compare to the loaners I get from clifford.

That said, I like doing more than just posting third coast thermal stuff if I'm going to be here. In other words, if I'm going to be here I want to contribute.

I thought that a post discussing what goes into rifle cases would be relevant since I have had to sit down and think about that not only regarding this set up but my 14.5" P-308 hunting set up.

As I said in the original post, Frank Eaton sent me a prototype of the precision rifle foam insert. I thought it would be interesting to get some input on what should be and the final product

So, hopefully the stuff I post is relevant to the forum community. 20171202_162842.jpg 20171103_000954.jpg

SC-Texas

Industry Partner
    Oct 12, 2017
    I've been wanting a soft case this large, bad idea??
    And that's an interesting option.

1. You can find a soft case that fits the interior dimensions of a pelican 1755. This dispenses with all of the Pelican foam and you just pop the hard case open and there is your soft case

2. The big problem with a large soft case is it just doesn't offer the protection that a hard case does. It will also deform as it gets loaded up with stuff

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    The most important question is What will you carry in a soft case this large?

Well large enough for this actually:
    Winchester Model 70 7mm Rem Mag, scoped 6-24 x 50 Vortex, bipod attached. Range bag for everything else unless I am missing something that should be with it, (still learning the LR stuff) maybe some ammo?? Current soft case barely zips up LOL.
    I have a pickup so a hardcase may have to be kept in the back. 300 win mag that is caseless too.

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Sean why are you in a Maryland forum?

While this is called "Maryland Shooters" We have members from all over the country. We even have people from other countries.

Some start here when they live here and later relocate. Some just happen to find here in some google search and like what they see and join up. We don't "check papers" when you join.

Relax Francis

SC-Texas

Industry Partner
    Oct 12, 2017
    Well large enough for this actually:
    Winchester Model 70 7mm Rem Mag, scoped 6-24 x 50 Vortex, bipod attached. Range bag for everything else unless I am missing something that should be with it, (still learning the LR stuff) maybe some ammo?? Current soft case barely zips up LOL.
    I have a pickup so a hardcase may have to be kept in the back. 300 win mag that is caseless too.
    I would definitely say a pelican 1750 with good foam would be he preferred carry method. You have too much rifle in glass to not have it in the quality hard case.

SC-Texas

Industry Partner
    Oct 12, 2017
    An interesting addition.
    1. Silica gel pack for moisture control
    2. Sun drape

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads