• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Interesting. Not so sure about using proprietary receivers and BCG though. I know Wilson wouldn't go thru the effort just to walk away from it in a few years, but it's always a concern of mine when dealing with these big-bores.

To be fair, you can develop 3K ft/lbs with the 'wulf by simply pushing the 400gr pills above 1840fps - but it's a bit hard on the brass admittedly, factory spec (1820fps) would have you at 2940 ft/lbs. Or if you can find the 530gr steel-tips, you can push those along and be above 3K ft/lbs w/out beating up the brass excessively (I'd have to find my chrony data to see what velocity I was getting). But those 530's aren't wallet friendly, if and when you can find them.

The hottest loads I've found for .450Bushy zip along at 2775fps, 160gr pill - nets you 2735 ft/lbs roughly. Which is still respectable.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    This makes about as much sense as the CMMG line of hybrid guns. I'll be curious to see if it catches on. Looks good on paper, minus the Wilson Combat $$$$$.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    They should have just done this with an AR-308 upper, rather than try to hit an AR-15 with all those proprietary parts.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I would much rather spend the money on one of the hybrid AR15s that shoot 308 like the POF Revolution. You could get one of those and a 458 Socom rifle for the price of the Wilson combat.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’d rather see an AR-06

A nice line chambered in .30-06 and the 06 family of cartridges.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Strangely alluring and for some reason I want one for my next T-rex hunt but proprietary parts in the lower is bad mojo. Uppers I never get too concerned about uppers as you can always swap on another but if ammo becomes unobtanium............to not have a use for both?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Humm. I'm sure we'll see more details in coming days and weeks . I'm curious what gr bullet is used for the magic 3000 ftlb ?

On one of the other Fora , I saw a comment this is the SOCOM with the shoulder moved forewards .040 . If this feeds thru std AR-15 mags , then no meaningful difference in COL from .458SCOM . Obviously the difference is in higher pressures with the proprietary bolt and reciever .

Yes , they can make millage from being " the bestest , most powerfulestet " But within the context of * big heavy bullet , medium-ish velocity * , does the SOCOM really leave anything on the table? If Wilson were to offer cheap brass that could be a factor by itself.

Now a .375 H'amr might be interesting.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yeah, I have about as much interest in this thing as I have in the .224 Valkyrie. Cannot imagine much running away from a .458 SOCOM round after it connects. Guessing the market is so saturated that they need to "innovate" to generate sales.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Yeah, I’ve seen the 300 win mag ARs, but those always seemed too expensive and too large. That Nordeen Arms .30-06 based one has my attention though. I mean, hell, that is less than a SCAR and not much more then a highish end AR-10.

I guess the only “issue” is the only reasonable way to find .30-06 175gr ball loaded on the hotter side is to load it yourself. Still neat. Maybe a some day bucket list gun.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I’d rather see an AR-06

A nice line chambered in .30-06 and the 06 family of cartridges.

Here ya go:

https://onlylongrange.com/bn36-long-range-assassin-270-25-06-30-06/

I have one of their earlier models of BN36. Accuracy is very good (<2MoA with factory 168 grain rounds). I had some feeding issues early on, but they were solved with a Tubbs flat wire buffer spring.

As far as I can tell, the only truly proprietary parts are the upper and lower receiver bodies, bolt carrier, barrel, firing pin and magazines. Everything else is standard AR fare.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    ^^^ agree. If you did a survey of those being shot with the SOCOM and the Wilson round the response would be, “felt the same”. Biggest allure I see is to the first time buyer of an AR-15 big bore.

Good gun. Proprietary parts could be an issue, but I see that more as building/modifying as opposed to breakage. That is where most of us look for compatibility. Another choice in choosing to keep and bear arms.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Thanks MDS. Just when I thought I was done wanting anymore ARs. Now after reading up on the .458 SOCOM and Wilsons new offering I'm convinced I want to build a .458 SOCOM. Thanks a lot. :rolleyes: :D

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I saw someone post up a recipe for 458 SOCOM at a buck a shot, including brass, which isn't horrible for that particular caliber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom