• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpikeRR

Sep 13, 2018
    At this rate, just buy one off the shelf. Save yourself the research now, so you can take your time and ask questions later, on how to build one and how to stay legal.

Complete rifle brands:
    Colt - Gold standard to which all others are judged
    Winham Weaponry - good stuff
    Ruger - good stuff
    Daniel Defense - good stuff, last I heard they still held a CAGE code
    LWRCI - good stuff
    LMT - good stuff
    Saber Defence - good luck finding one, but if you do, pick it up
    Rock River Arms - good stuff
    Smith & Wesson - good stuff

Pick one and buy that sucker. Join the AR DGI club. It's like the He Man Woman Hater's Club from the Little Rascals, but we allow women, as long as they promise they own at least one AR.

Sound advice and that was my initial thoughts. Just wasn't sure if the Ruger was worth upgrading in the future. The others are a little out of my budget.

SpikeRR

Sep 13, 2018
    So I just got back from Gym Ratz.... empty handed.The Ruger seems great for the price, but I think they Stag they had for $600 seemed like a better deal. Either way I wasn't in love in either. I know after making it how I'd like it to look and feel that $499 will turn into $700+ real quick. So I went with a PSA complete kit for $350. Going to see if they can swap out the barrel for an Hbar barrel. If not I'll just have an extra barrel for whenever I move out of MD lol.

Oh and the LWRC was beautiful! I could see & feel the difference, too bad my pockets couldn't.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    So I just got back from Gym Ratz.... empty handed.The Ruger seems great for the price, but I think they Stag they had for $600 seemed like a better deal. Either way I wasn't in love in either. I know after making it how I'd like it to look and feel that $499 will turn into $700+ real quick. So I went with a PSA complete kit for $350. Going to see if they can swap out the barrel for an Hbar barrel. If not I'll just have an extra barrel for whenever I move out of MD lol.

Oh and the LWRC was beautiful! I could see & feel the difference, too bad my pockets couldn't.

Should have gone with the Ruger, Stag, or Windham. Issues with the PSA's are abundant, but research would have filled you in on that issue.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If the PSA kit was $350 and you still need a barrel, how exactly was money saved here? Plus, if its the one I am thinking of you need a lower, (and also a transfer fee and 7 day wait for the lower). PSA is not even shipping due the hurricane. And their HBars are out of stock.

The $350 will turn into $550 pretty quick to make it MD compliant, and the Stag for $600 is much better IMO.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Still time to cancel the PSA order. Even without the hurricane, fast shipping for them is typically 3-5 days before they send initial tracking information.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SpikeRR

Sep 13, 2018
    If the PSA kit was $350 and you still need a barrel, how exactly was money saved here? Plus, if its the one I am thinking of you need a lower, (and also a transfer fee and 7 day wait for the lower). PSA is not even shipping due the hurricane. And their HBars are out of stock.

The $350 will turn into $550 pretty quick to make it MD compliant, and the Stag for $600 is much better IMO.
    Yea, this is what I was thinking. The Stag for $600 + a free float & furniture I like will put it around $700. Still on the fence, but glad I still have time to decide.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I think the PSA kits are fine. I've never had an issue with any of their stuff. As long as it's mil spec as every thing from PSA is, it should be fine for your first AR. Practically speaking, how much action is this rifle going to see? Home defence where it sits in the closet most of the time? Range toy a couple of times a month? You'll probably want more than one AR anyway, so why not get one that doesn't cost a fortune to start with to learn on?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I think the PSA kits are fine. I've never had an issue with any of their stuff. As long as it's mil spec as every thing from PSA is, it should be fine for your first AR. Practically speaking, how much action is this rifle going to see? Home defence where it sits in the closet most of the time? Range toy a couple of times a month? You'll probably want more than one AR anyway, so why not get one that doesn't cost a fortune to start with to learn on?

The list of problems I see from PSA is anough to talk about for days. I'm not trying to be contrary.

It has nothing to do with taking a gun to war, it's stuff that basic standards of Q.C. should catch.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Yea, this is what I was thinking. The Stag for $600 + a free float & furniture I like will put it around $700. Still on the fence, but glad I still have time to decide.

What clandestine said, avoid PSA.

Do you even have the tools to build an AR? Those are going to run you another $150 or so on top of the $350 kit, and cost of the lower, the transfer, and the barrel. So really, when I said $550 I forgot about the tools. You will need an armors wrench, a vise, reaction rod, a receiver vice block, headspace gauges, punch set, some other things. You will need some of those things for a free float rail too.

I am not dissuading you from building an AR, I think everyone should, I am simply pointing out that your first MD compliant build will not be cheaper than buying a quality build off the shelf.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Now there is really no excuse- MD Compliant Stag free float upper $219:

https://www.stagarms.com/stag-15-m-lok-15-free-float-upper/

$219 with Ground Shipping

Available with a MD Compliant Heavy Barrel - comes in 1:9 twist instead of 1:7
    Charging handle and BCG available at extra cost.

Stag_15_M-LOK_Free_Float_Upper_3__97848.1511367025.jpg

Rwbak527

Sep 3, 2018
    Buyer beware

Before you go putting down hard earned cash on ANY weapon, familiarize yourself with Maryland’s home defense laws. Other readers of this site, correct me if I’m wrong but Maryland has no castle laws, it’s more like a run and hide situation. YOU are more likely to do jail time for shooting someone in your home than the perpetrator. If you’re still willing to stand up for your 2A rights then God bless and please make sure you and your wife receive competent instruction on whatever weapon you decide. If you have any doubt, get a dog.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Before you go putting down hard earned cash on ANY weapon, familiarize yourself with Maryland’s home defense laws. Other readers of this site, correct me if I’m wrong but Maryland has no castle laws, it’s more like a run and hide situation. YOU are more likely to do jail time for shooting someone in your home than the perpetrator. If you’re still willing to stand up for your 2A rights then God bless and please make sure you and your wife receive competent instruction on whatever weapon you decide. If you have any doubt, get a dog.

MD does have Castle Doctrine. In MD you have no duty to retreat if you feel and can articulate that you were in fear of your life, or the lives of others in the house. Look up the Mathew Pinkerton case in AA County for what can happen.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013

100% wrong. Consider yourself corrected.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    The list of problems I see from PSA is anough to talk about for days. I'm not trying to be contrary.

It has nothing to do with taking a gun to war, it's stuff that basic standards of Q.C. should catch.

Are they mostly assembly type problems? What are the issues that you commonly see from them?

Because PSA (if you don't buy their cheap product lines) can be a good way to get a decent bunch of parts cheaply if you go in eyes open and educated. It's hard to beat their sale prices on complete uppers for example, and for someone who knows what they're doing it's not too hard to correct any glaring assembly issues. Their lower build kits frequently also come with fairly nice combinations of parts as well.

Their "premium" BCGs are great, for example, and last I knew were actually rebranded Toolcraft.

In fact, if I ever finally get around to taking one of your build classes, I'll likely bring a PSA-based SBR that I want to put an SLR gas block in to.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Are they mostly assembly type problems? What are the issues that you commonly see from them?

Because PSA (if you don't buy their cheap product lines) can be a good way to get a decent bunch of parts cheaply if you go in eyes open and educated. It's hard to beat their sale prices on complete uppers for example, and for someone who knows what they're doing it's not too hard to correct any glaring assembly issues. Their lower build kits frequently also come with fairly nice combinations of parts as well.

Their "premium" BCGs are great, for example, and last I knew were actually rebranded Toolcraft.

In fact, if I ever finally get around to taking one of your build classes, I'll likely bring a PSA-based SBR that I want to put an SLR gas block in to.

Overgassed Barrels (Adjustable Gas will remedy this)

Bad Feed Ramps (Requires removing the Barrel and recutting the Barrel Extension)

Barrels Marked 5.56 (Actually have .223 Throats and Headspace)

Short Headspace (Requires Lapping or a well used Bolt)

Bad Carrier Key Bolt Torque, So-So Staking, and rough Carrier Bore Finish.

Oversized Carrier Keys (Requires Replacement)

Grossly overtorqued Barrel Nuts

Firing Pin Protrusion issues

No assembly lubricants used

Out of spec LPK's

Inferior Extractor, Ejector, and Buffer Springs

I'm sure Im forgetting a bunch.

I know a reliable AR can be built from budget parts. Many of my students use budget parts. I teach others to do it all of the time. It takes knowledge to do so though. The people at these companies are either skipping Q.C. or don't use gauges and proper tools.

I get bent out of shape because I'm always seeing good people have problems with AR's they saved and spe t their hard earned money on.

SpikeRR

Sep 13, 2018
    Found a Rock River heavy barrel for a decent price. Are they any good? Can't find much info on it other than it's a 1:9 twist and non-chrome lined. Not even sure if it has M4 feed ramps.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Found a Rock River heavy barrel for a decent price. Are they any good? Can't find much info on it other than it's a 1:9 twist and non-chrome lined. Not even sure if it has M4 feed ramps.

They are ok. Some are fine and some are awful. When I say awful, they can be rebuilt and will be ok.

Sirex