• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    I've been fussing with the '69 K-Mag I got a couple weeks ago trying to find an arrow it likes and get used to it. Gotta say, these short, light bows sure are twitchy. I finally settled on 30.25" Beman Centershot 500s with 50g inserts and 85g tips.

I noticed with this bow, I developed an almost immediate flinch expecting it to somehow bite me. Couldn't say why. I did catch my arm just above my guard a couple times but nothing to justify my reaction.

I finally settled down today and got it together, which made shooting it a lot more fun. I'm used to my Bear Takedown, which is 8" longer, so a good bit smoother. But the KMag is by no means hard to draw. It's just SO much lighter in the hand that, combined with its short length, any little twitch or mistake in my form or release is immediately apparent. This is NOT a forgiving bow. But when I finally did my part it was a fun little bow.

This was my last group today. I stopped as soon as I saw it. I figured I should stop with a good one when my confidence was up. It's only 10 yards, but not bad.

95cc80446b9cbef9f4eb995e9efd8b31.jpg
    611432a71dfd204dc27dd17765589c72.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Those shorties are difficult to shoot. Much more difficult than a long bow.
    You're not kidding. Really takes some getting used to. It'll probably be more like my "plinking" bow, as well as hunting bow if I ever get time to get back into it. The TD will always be my main squeeze, I suspect.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Nice shooting! I've been playing with a '65 Bear Grizzly. It is less forgiving than my Black Widow PSA, but the short length and 43# limbs sure make it easy to handle. Considering how light and short these old Bears are, they are surprisingly smooth and shoot hard.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    I think beyond the obvious differences in length and weight-in-hand, the biggest thing that stands out to me between the Kmag and TD is the grip. I know earlier versions of the TD have a beefier grip, but my 2018 TD has a really thin one. The grip on the KMag is really thick. Neither is bad, but the difference is pretty huge.

I have to be a but more conscientious to get my hand on the TD just right. The thin grip gives lots more options but few feel right. The Kmag pretty much only gives me one way to hold. It's bug enough it pretty much fills my whole hand and there's not much room for alternative grips without it being REALLY wrong. So I guess that's one good thing about such an otherwise twitchy bow; at least the grip isn't hard to figure out.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Great shooting. I'm more interested in how you elevate yourself 10M into the air to shoot down like that? (I kid, I kid). Nice stuff!
    I levitate. It's all part of being in the zone!

I actually sold that bow last fall. I couldn't quite settle on a consistent anchor with it. It stacked too much, and I kept fighting it. If it was a lighter weight or longer bow it wouldn't have been a problem, but the combined weight and length was too much. A shame really, cause I liked it a lot.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

bgoodsoil

Aug 24, 2020
    A friend left his Kodiak at my house to play with. I don't shoot instinctive and noticed that the back of the arrow dips if I string walk on the shorter bow. I'm always impressed by the people with the patience to sling enough arrows to get good with one of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom