Were these FNS40L's Baltimore self-discharging guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Saw these for sale:

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/index.html

FNH FNS-40-L these are 40 cal pistols with a 5" barrel. Believe it or not these are LE trades. They are extra nice pistols and come with night sights and two 14 rd. mags. The longer slide has better sight radius and will increase engery. Super nice and bargain priced.

$339

Wondered if they were from Baltimore, due to this article?:

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/...ice-stunned-accidential-discharge-new-pistol/

Attachments

• 129868226.jpg
      129868226.jpg
      46.6 KB · Views: 587

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rumor has it they're getting new guns but I'm not sure if that's happened yet or not.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I would buy that in a heart beat !!!! $339 yea !!!

Very tempting price. I was almost tempted to have one shipped and held at an FFL until I get back, but I need another caliber like I need a hole in the head.

The Baltimore story kind of turned me off.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Bad holster (BCPD paid $180k to replace them) or was it the strikers? Weird. Either way, the cheap price suddenly doesn’t sound worth it.

It was both. The discharges were solved by the new holster. Then, the striker issue was discovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    It was both. The discharges were solved by the new holster. Then, the striker issue was discovered.

What kind or brand of holster was causing the issue? Any chance the County swapped the strikers too, so these guns might be worth a look after all?

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    What kind or brand of holster was causing the issue? Any chance the County swapped the strikers too, so these guns might be worth a look after all?

It was a Safariland ALS. I can’t recall the exact model. All of the strikers were replaced with the 509 striker, which supposedly doesn’t suffer the same malfunction that the FNS striker did. I like the way the gun shoots, though it is massive and very ill suited for carry purposes. I wouldn’t use it for anything more than a range toy.

Last edited:

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Additionally, if any of you are wondering if these are BCoPD guns, and if the strikers have been replaced, I can’t speak to that. I don’t know if FN is buying back the County guns or if the County is just dumping them on the market. I also don’t know if any other agency uses these specific guns. If you’re considering this offer, you may want to ask the dealer where they came from.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Additionally, if any of you are wondering if these are BCoPD guns, and if the strikers have been replaced, I can’t speak to that. I don’t know if FN is buying back the County guns or if the County is just dumping them on the market. I also don’t know if any other agency uses these specific guns. If you’re considering this offer, you may want to ask the dealer where they came from.

Thx for the detailed info. :thumbsup:

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    Having first hand experience with the FNS, I would just say, never carry a round in the chamber. The media articles only reveal a small portion of the problems with the FNS 40 and 40LS...

FN makes some awesome rifles but handguns, they have a lot to learn (as far as reliable engineering).

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Vaguely interesting since I already have .40 goodies ... but can’t take delivery of the supplied standard capacity mags, so that means paying the drive-to-PA-and-buy-more-if-you-can-even-find-then tax. That effectively adds another $100 to the price.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    My BCoPD friends are getting the Glock 17. Some are happy about the change... some not. But, you’ll find opinion differences every day. As someone pointed out... FN needs to up their game a bit where this pistol is concerned. I don’t trust it to carry with one chambered. And I don’t like an empty chamber on a carry pistol. I don’t need another .40. So I’ll pass on the sale price.

hornbakerfella

Oct 6, 2016
    God's Country
    A birdie in the BCoPD also told me they striker issue is concerning enough that people don’t wanna carry them at all right now. Apparently they’ve had all out failures of the weapons

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    A birdie in the BCoPD also told me they striker issue is concerning enough that people don’t wanna carry them at all right now. Apparently they’ve had all out failures of the weapons

Yes... and whether or not it is all real time pistol failure... or some are user induced... the confidence in the pistol is pretty much gone for many.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom