• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Oh, the irony.

While there was no bayonet lug on any, I was actually issued one of these “folder” 870’s in the late 80’s and quickly came to not only despise the thing, heck, I couldn’t return it to the armorer for a good ol’ fixed, birch stocked w extended mag tube, quick enough! (So much more metal to rust (one more item requiring precious and always short time consuming care and attention) but, the worst was grabbing that thing out of a cruiser without gloves when it was oh dark thirty and the temps were below 40!)

I certainly “get” the attraction though (but, cannot shake those memories - “Brrrrrrrrrr!”)

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Oh, the irony.

While there was no bayonet lug on any, I was actually issued one of these “folder” 870’s in the late 80’s and quickly came to not only despise the thing, heck, I couldn’t return it to the armorer for a good ol’ fixed, birch stocked w extended mag tube, quick enough! (So much more metal to rust (one more item requiring precious and always short time consuming care and attention) but, the worst was grabbing that thing out of a cruiser without gloves when it was oh dark thirty and the temps were below 40!)

I certainly “get” the attraction though (but, cannot shake those memories - “Brrrrrrrrrr!”)

Ditto! I rocked one for search warrants as the entry guy. It was uncomfortable, cheekweld sucked, even in folded it was annoying. And we didn’t have racks for this stock so I’m traveling to the location shoved in an impala with this stupid thing extended barrel on floor. Getting out of an impala with a full sized shotgun at 6 ft 2 isn’t easy

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I took my fixed stock to the range awhile ago and I learned from the very nice but very young RO how it was used as a trench gun in WWI :)

Attachments

• 44D9D16E-F20A-44E4-9511-B80092283028.jpg
      44D9D16E-F20A-44E4-9511-B80092283028.jpg
      52.5 KB · Views: 407

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I took my fixed stock to the range awhile ago and I learned from the very nice but very young RO how it was used as a trench gun in WWI :)

So that's where the 870 comes from...model of 1870...who knew! What a maroon, I hope he knows more about being an RO than shotguns.

1897 trenchgun is what he is thinking that was I hope.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    So that's where the 870 comes from...model of 1870...who knew! What a maroon, I hope he knows more about being an RO than shotguns.

1897 trenchgun is what he is thinking that was I hope.

Agreed, he just got mixed up with the Winchester 1897. He’s a good RO and I like him, he was just a little out of his element on this one :)

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    If anybody wants to sell their ONG gun, longtime MDS member BossmanPJ is looking for one. He prefers a fixed stock.

It’s a great time to throw some extra money into the stock market and forget about it for a few years!

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Are the receiver and barrel ID codes, from beginning of thread, the same for all 870's, do you know?

I pickup my LE Trade In's tomorrow. Be nice to have an idea when they started life.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Are the receiver and barrel ID codes, from beginning of thread, the same for all 870's, do you know?

I pickup my LE Trade In's tomorrow. Be nice to have an idea when they started life.

The barrel codes match with what I found on another site when researching mine.

https://www.rem870.com/gun-manufacture-date/remington-serial-number-lookup/

And I just found this regarding serial # prefix on another site. It would suggest mine was Fdb 96 since my serial # starts with B

M/870 LETTER PREFIX*
    1950 TO APPROX 1968:NO SERIAL NUMBER PREFIX*
    1968 TO PRESENT: LETTERS USED (IN SEQUENCE)*
    S-68, T-74, V-78, W-84, X-90, A-91, B-94, C-97, D-01, AB-05*
    LETTER SUFFIX (DESIGNATES GAUGE)*
    V 12 GA. (2 3/4”)*
    M 12 GA. MAGNUM (3”)*
    A 12 GA. “SUPER” MAGNUM (3 ½”)*
    W 16 GA. ( 2 ¾” )*
    X 20 GA. “HEAVY FRAME” (DISCONTINUED)*
    N 20 GA. “HEAVY FRAME MAGNUM” (DISCONTINUED)*
    K 20 GA. “LIGHT WEIGHT” (“LW”) (ALSO INCLUDES M/1100 “LT”)*
    U 20 GA. LW MAGNUM (ALSO INCLUDES M/1100 “LT”)*
    J 28 GA.*
    H .410 BORE (2 ½” OR 3”)

Last edited:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

Codes should be the same. Maybe the Freedom Group 870s are different, not sure.

Make sure to post some pics! I love LE trade-in shotguns.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    My Wingmaster is stamped:
    Receiver: SxxxxxxV (S=1968-1974, V=2.75" shells)
    Barrel: B W
    Receiver is also stamped: BDE-7

If I am decoding it correctly, it is a January 1972 model, from Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics (BDE-7)
    Pretty cool that it's almost 50 years old.

The Police Magnum is stamped:
    Receiver: BxxxxxxM (B=1994-1996, M=3" shells)
    Barrel: L Q (also has what looks like an 0 4 as well?)

Appears to be made in February 1996

Originally wanted to strip and refinish the black painted stock and forend, from the Wingmaster, but it's already growing on me, as-is. Seems to give it some character, IMO.

The Magnum, I already swapped on a much nicer "Police" stock. Although the, as delivered, cut 2" shorter stock has a unique look...so it may go back to as bought.

The Wingmaster, I am undecided on whether to leave it be, with it's spray painted wood, or strip and re-oil/finish the wood???

Open to opinions, suggestions, for sure.

Attachments

• w16.jpg
      w16.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 237
    • w8.jpg
      w8.jpg
      65.7 KB · Views: 244
    • w11.jpg
      w11.jpg
      21.5 KB · Views: 227
    • w12.jpg
      w12.jpg
      27.8 KB · Views: 238
    • w2.jpg
      w2.jpg
      29.2 KB · Views: 233

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    My Wingmaster is stamped:
    Receiver: SxxxxxxV (S=1968-1974, V=2.75" shells)
    Barrel: B W
    Receiver is also stamped: BDE-7

If I am decoding it correctly, it is a January 1972 model, from Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics (BDE-7)
    Pretty cool that it's almost 50 years old.

The Police Magnum is stamped:
    Receiver: BxxxxxxM (B=1994-1996, M=3" shells)
    Barrel: L Q (also has what looks like an 0 4 as well?)

Appears to be made in February 1996

Originally wanted to strip and refinish the black painted stock and forend, from the Wingmaster, but it's already growing on me, as-is. Seems to give it some character, IMO.

The Magnum, I already swapped on a much nicer "Police" stock. Although the, as delivered, cut 2" shorter stock has a unique look...so it may go back to as bought.

The Wingmaster, I am undecided on whether to leave it be, with it's spray painted wood, or strip and re-oil/finish the wood???

Open to opinions, suggestions, for sure.

I also have a BW barrel coded 870 Wingmaster with a BDE-19 marking. How close is your serial number to mine?

Since pic sucks it’s S493794V

Attachments

• 921C6707-3A1F-4F4B-8837-36D65BA7E9ED.jpg
      921C6707-3A1F-4F4B-8837-36D65BA7E9ED.jpg
      99.8 KB · Views: 202

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads