• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    For nothing more than a shooter are the rack or field grades safe to shoot without having a gunsmith go over them? Safe to shoot as is is the ONLY criteria, kindly don't clutter this up outside that.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Everything they ship is safe to shoot.

Rack will be beat to worn ( Have personally hand selected a few of these )
    Field will be worn to nice ( Have owned or hand selected multiples of these )
    Service will be somewhat worn to almost new looking ( Have owned 5 or 6 of these )

Always remember the grade are ranges and there are amazing examples and stinkers in every grade.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    They better be, or the CMP would have problems. I shoot both of my Field Grades (mainly the IHC) and neither has blown up yet.

The differences between the grades is explained in the descriptions. It mainly has to do with ME/TE and general wear. All should be serviceable and safely shootable. I suppose even a service grade could slip through with a serious problem, but if that happens, customer service should make it right.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    If safe to shoot out of the case is your concern worry no more. CMP test fires every rifle prior to shipping. Main reason I purchased my Garand (Service grade) from them. :thumbsup:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    For nothing more than a shooter are the rack or field grades safe to shoot without having a gunsmith go over them? Safe to shoot as is is the ONLY criteria, kindly don't clutter this up outside that.

The CMP test fires each of their guns. But at the moment it is a moot point because only service grades and sniper models are for sale everything else is marked sold out. You might find some other grades if you take a trip to their store.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    The CMP test fires each of their guns. But at the moment it is a moot point because only service grades and sniper models are for sale everything else is marked sold out. You might find some other grades if you take a trip to their store.

Since South Store is only 2 hours away that's the plan.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I got the rack [EDIT - I mean field] grade M1 carbine (I know, not a Garand) and it shoots just fine. Trigger has some creep - but the rifle functions perfectly. I have had zero jams even dumping a 15 round mag.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I got a rack grade Inland carbine a few years ago. It shoots just fine. Wish I'd gotten a dozen.

Rack Grade Inland (RACK, not Field Grade)
    IMG_1482.jpg

Field Grade SA 1.0 million
    Cropped SA 1.0.jpg

Field Grade IHC
    IMG_1619.jpg

If I could hand pick them myself, I would definitely go for Field Grades.

Orlando

All CMP grades are safe to fire. I will tell you that Field Gardes "can" be rough and need of a rebarrel and still be within the grade description. I have personally handled hundreds of Field Grades and many will swallow a muzzle gage and have measured 7 which is a worn out barrel. That being said Field Grades can also be very nice and some should have been graded as Service Grades. Its all luck of the draw, a crap shoot when mail ordering anything less than a Service Grade
    Carefully read the greade description and expect to get that and you will never be dissapointed. Go by what others show you pictures of and when you rifle arrives you may be very dissapointed

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Thanks guys, pretty much what I figured. Conflicting and inconsistent info elsewhere is why I asked here.

You should check the CMP South Store section on the CMP Forum to get an idea of what's in stock. Most report the store personnel very helpful in answering questions and seeing that the customer gets a good gun. You might also want to call before you drive if there is something special you are looking for.

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=74

NOTE:
    The current CMP store will be closed 9/22-10/6 for the store move and the new store will open at 8:00, 10/6. The new location is 1470 Sentinel Drive, Anniston, AL 36207..

Bolts
    I reviewed several of the weekly store update threads and did not see field grade (except sniper) or rack grades listed. Basically CMP Winchester specials, service grade, and drill rifles, the threads give the counts of each type available when the store opens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom