• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billymx48

Jun 20, 2015
    So I have been to the range twice with my DPMS lr308 and both times it keeps giving me problems. DOOBIE and I both have shot it and agree something is going on with the bcg hangin up. So you shoot maybe 1 or maybe 10 rounds and the gun will locked "almost" closed on a live round. It takes a screwdriver or tool to pry it open. Take the round out and it drops in and out of the chamber fine. First trip I thought it might be a breakin thing or just not lubed well enough. So second trip I went out with the gun lubed liked clandestine shows to lube it and tried again. Still the same thing. If you take the upper off and put just the bcg no charging handle in it. The bcg sticks in there you have to have something to pry it loose after its away from the lugs its alright. So I looked at the bolt closer and found a nick on the lug right below the extractor (pics below) and One case that fired knocked the primer out and screwed up the bottom of the case. Any suggestions on whats up with this rifle or something to try different. Tried different mags etc. Same result.

Attachments

• Resized_20160912_214323.jpg
      Resized_20160912_214323.jpg
      37.1 KB · Views: 770
    • Resized_20160912_214330.jpg
      Resized_20160912_214330.jpg
      36.7 KB · Views: 773
    • Resized_20160917_151055.jpg
      Resized_20160917_151055.jpg
      46.3 KB · Views: 797
    • Resized_20160917_151101.jpg
      Resized_20160917_151101.jpg
      51.5 KB · Views: 755

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Looks like the bolt has been dropped on the lug. Do you have another bolt to try?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Seriously, do not fire that bastard again until it's been given a clean bill of health.

Popping primers like that is a huge red flag that something ain't right, and if the live rounds fall freely from the chamber - it's safe to assume there's a head-space issue. Likely from a bolt head and/or barrel extension issue.

Send it in to DPMS, or take it to a trusted 'smith.

billymx48

Jun 20, 2015
    I bought it new in 2013 its all dpms. I never dropped the bcg or anything like that and didn't notice the lug like that until after I shot it. The gun sat in the safe for a few years until I bought a optic for it. I haven't contacted the manufacture because I figured its out of warranty being I bought it in 2013. Headspace or defective extension or bolt is my ideas. I'll look at it again when I get home.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    3 year warranty from date of purchase, but that shouldn't be a huge issue - if it is, the bad word of mouth can cost them more than fixing the rifle.

Call them, see what they'll do - if the answer isn't what you want to hear, take it to a 'smith locally.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Are you shooting reloads? Have you checked your head space, or chamber?
    Your getting excessive chamber pressure which is why you are popping primers.

billymx48

Jun 20, 2015
    I have shot some reloads out of it. I have checked all my cases for pressure signs etc. That was one of two and out of that batch I have shot probably 100-150 rounds. I agree that blown primers are a sign of pressure issues. I have tried different loads out of different cases with different bullets and same lock up issues.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Are you seeing these problems with factory ammo?

From what I see you have a few possibilities.

Can I see pics of the chamber? If the BBL was overtorqued the BBL extension could have rotated in the upper. This will cause hard operation.

Other possibilities:
    1) Reloads
    2) Short Throat (In regards to the primers popping) I saw this with lots of AR produced around when you bought yours. Renting a throat reamer will fix it in a few seconds.
    3) Excessive Gas Port (In regards to the primers popping) Adjustable Gas is my suggestion if this is the case.
    4) Short Headspace (In regards to Hard Extraction with CHAMBERED Rounds)
    5) Damaged Bolt Head/Extractor/Barrel Extension/Gas Key Interface (Hard BCG Operation with EMPTY Chamber)
    For #5 troubleshoot the problems by removing components.
    Remove the Bolt head and drop just the carrier in the upper and see if the Gas Key Binds.
    Remove the Extractor Assembly and Install the BCG without it and see if there is hard BCG operation with an empty chamber.
    Repeat the above with a live round (It wont extract though)
    If you STILL have a problem with #5 then the Bolt Head or BBL Extension is the culprit.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Looking at that bolt looks like an overpressure round damaged the extractor. That raised burr can be LIGHTLY filed off and is not a load surface.

billymx48

Jun 20, 2015
    Thanks for the info clandestine i just seen this so ill try some stuff tomorrow. Dpms emailed me back said they would look at it but wouldnt guarntee it was covered under warranty. Id rather look myself. Thanks again.

billymx48

Jun 20, 2015
    Ok so i have been trying clandestines suggestions. Took the bolt face off. Bcg minus bolt is slick as glass. Took the extractor off the bolt still sticking. Messed with just the bolt i feel i might have a barrel extension or bolt issue. Seems to me when it goes down in the extension it has to twist just a little bit which makes it bind a little to go all the way forward. I put a couple more pictures now there is wear on the bolt lugs front and rear like its banging into the extension both way. Also a picture of the bcg in position where it sticks and you have to push it in even without extractor. You can also see small pieces of brass on the bolt face. I might be dealing with two problems. Rough chamber and barrel extension issue. Cant get a good pic of chamber.

Attachments

• 20160924_115105.jpg
      20160924_115105.jpg
      29.1 KB · Views: 448
    • 20160924_115128.jpg
      20160924_115128.jpg
      40.5 KB · Views: 419
    • 20160924_115256.jpg
      20160924_115256.jpg
      80.3 KB · Views: 381

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Looks like you have a couple of blobs of brass stuck to the bolt face. Have to wonder if there is the same issue with brass buildup between the barrel and barrel extension. Either can cause issues. Thoroughly clean both areas. Any raised metal on the bolt lug to the right of the extractor? That area is concerning. The raised area on the fired case indicates brass flow, indicative of hot load or soft brass, or as Clandestine said, it may be due to over porting. Check to see if the bolt cams properly in the carrier with it out of the rifle. If you are using the same ammo , you might try a different make or lot# to see if it is an issue with a bad lot.

billymx48

Jun 20, 2015
    Yea there is some brass on the bolt face I check the area in the barrel extension a little of "glitter" of brass but not bad did this both times to the range. I don't see any raised area on the bolt near the extractor. I'm trying to find someone close that has headspace gauges for it to check that as well. The bolt look like it cams correctly when out of the rifle. Of course I'm just comparing to my stagarms ar15.

billymx48

Jun 20, 2015

I got my 308 back from dpms. Tag said it had a tight chamber and they cleaned the bolt and replaced the extractor i will find out monday if it works. Dpms made it good so far though didnt charge me a dime even shipping they took care of so good dealing for them with warranty and customer service.

billymx48

Jun 20, 2015
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Gun works good so far. Went to the range today had some problem reloads but factory and most of the reloads cycled and shot good out of this gun. :thumbsup:

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    DPMS. Daily Problems Might Shoot. Several buddies of mine had nothing but problems with their DPMS 308s, finally all of them sold the rifles or traded for another gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom