• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Respectfully, you and I define "devastating" quite differently. 8 pellet 00 buck in a softball sized pattern to center mass will like produce what I consider a devastating wound to an unarmored target. #2 birdshot would like produce a bloody but shallow mess. The 00 SHOULD render him incapable of continuing the fight. The birdshot will require an eventual trip to the ER to dig out the shot.

Predator hunters use #2 and BBs to kill coyotes out to 40 yards, though some prefer T pellets. They obviously aren't concerned with how the pelt turns out, but I think you get the idea.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I don't even trust 00 to deliver a "devastating" an incapacitating wound. Most training I've been fortunate enough to receive emphasized boring consistency, and to continue shooting till the threat is stopped, being you will likely miss, and it may take several COM hits to stop a determined attacker. I was taught and agree with the premise to put an unforeseen number of rounds on target/s as quick as I can, reloading when able. This is why bird shot that "might work", or "will perform majic at a specific distance" is a dealbreaker. Lighter recoil while retaining sufficient penetration is usually a good thing when it may allow more shots on target. For my purposes I won't run different types of ammo, if I train and pattern for my choice in 8x00 Fed tactical, I don't want a #4, birdshot, slug or whatever else either potentially limiting the effectiveness of the only clear shot I have, patterning differently if I have to make a precise shot, or jamming up my gun, or throwing me off. The ONLY exception would be a mil/PD scenario where you need a slug at distance or breaching rounds, not home defense.

Not to mention 8" in gel doesn't equate to 8" in a human. Skin is pretty tough and most expert-types equate it to 4" of gel. Add bones/clothes/other stuff and 16"(1bk) of penetration becomes much more desirable than 12"(4bk). 20 in(00) means you can be pretty sure the projectiles will penetrate to a depth where important things are.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Predator hunters use #2 and BBs to kill coyotes out to 40 yards, though some prefer T pellets. They obviously aren't concerned with how the pelt turns out, but I think you get the idea.

I have to believe you as I know nothing about coyote hunting. I do know that a coyote weighs a lot less than an adult human and it won't be shooting back.

Side note, what's a t pellet? That's new to me.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    ....not a coyote....
    Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 21.05.36.jpg

It's also important in defensive shootings to QUICKLY stop the attacker. You're not shooting them and then sitting back and tracking them for a while...you're trying to hault aggression in the span of a couple seconds. That requires a pretty large amount of trauma being done pretty quick.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Predator hunters use large pellets in 3" magnum loads with tight chokes, usually T (.20cal) or larger including #2 buck(.27cal), not #2birdshot(.15cal) tungsten and plated shot are popular to increase penetration. A farmer I shoot with loves #4 buck federal with a full choke for everything from predators, feral dogs/cats and woodchucks, we have taken a few down out to 50yards with that load. The point is to SAVE the pelt, a lot of little entry holes are prefferable to a big exit wound from a rifle. Being a big coyote might be 50lbs with vitals only about 4-6" deep with a broadside shot, it's apples and orangutans compared to self defense tactics. A determined attacker may have vitals a foot or more past heavy clothing, barriers, bone, muscle, and whatever limbs may be in the way.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Respectfully, you and I define "devastating" quite differently. 8 pellet 00 buck in a softball sized pattern to center mass will like produce what I consider a devastating wound to an unarmored target. #2 birdshot would like produce a bloody but shallow mess. The 00 SHOULD render him incapable of continuing the fight. The birdshot will require an eventual trip to the ER to dig out the shot.
    ... and a slug, at the intended target will produce?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I brought up the coyote hunters because it does show that some non-buckshot is lethal to something other than birds. I personally don't use a shotgun for HD as it's too unwieldy inside a typical domicile for me.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I have to believe you as I know nothing about coyote hunting. I do know that a coyote weighs a lot less than an adult human and it won't be shooting back.

Side note, what's a t pellet? That's new to me.

Maybe referring to T shot. Turkey and heavy waterfowl loads. Just under buck shot in pellet diameter.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Buck and Ball. The best of both worlds.
    More overpenetration than a foster slug with a greater chance of fliers missing the target than a tight shot column from buckshot loads, what's not to like?

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    T is between BB and Buck. A result of steel shot for waterfowl. Due to the lower density of steel, they made the shot a bit larger to have the same pellet weight as a BB.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To the extent anything handheld is devastating, a tight pattern of 00B is probably as close as we will get.

The potential attributes ascribed above to no 2 birdshot would actually be achieved with lead BB.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I have 20 GA first round #9 shot then #4 Buck (2) then #00 Buck then Slug...because the wife can handle that setup.

Though you need to look at your structure within and the fields of Fire...entry points barriers, walls...upstairs downstairs..etc...

We have plaster, sheet rock and concrete walls so depending on who your defending and from were your shooting and the point of entry...

Plus if you have a Dog you don't want to shoot them...have plan with your family and then assert your need...JMO

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I have 20 GA first round #9 shot then #4 Buck (2) then #00 Buck then Slug...because the wife can handle that setup.

Though you need to look at your structure within and the fields of Fire...entry points barriers, walls...upstairs downstairs..etc...

We have plaster, sheet rock and concrete walls so depending on who your defending and from were your shooting and the point of entry...

Plus if you have a Dog you don't want to shoot them...have plan with your family and then assert your need...JMO
    How long does it take to travel the longest distance in your house with a knife? How long does it take your wife to fire 4 shots with the 20 ga? Those first two shots suddenly become very important when you look at how fast distance can be closed inside a home. I'm not sure I'd want an ineffective load to be the first couple shots....especially if it's a pump.

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    Don't overthink it.
    00, #1, and #4 will all stop a threat inside your home.

Believe it. Most shots inside a home will be less than 10 yards (30 feet).
    Almost anyone hit by a 1 1/8 oz. of any size shot will stop, if the intruder moves again follow up. I keep an unplugged 870 with 5 rounds of Rio #4 buckshot handy.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    How long does it take to travel the longest distance in your house with a knife? How long does it take your wife to fire 4 shots with the 20 ga? Those first two shots suddenly become very important when you look at how fast distance can be closed inside a home. I'm not sure I'd want an ineffective load to be the first couple shots....especially if it's a pump.

The distance is less the 15 ft so I don't think the #9 will spread that far out on full choke, we practice at short distances and it blows a pretty good hole I the Paper Targets...

Shotgun Is loaded as noted and has 5 #4 Buck on the Ammo sleeve for reload...

Besides I have showed her to fire than pump quickly maintain weapon in shoulder. (When I am not Home) And if there is an intruder go to a corner, stay and maintain a open field of view scan and then shoot. Plus she has a 1000 Lumens Flashlight right next to her phone in the nite stand...don't walk around the house to try and find the intruder...if upstairs I have showed her the FOV with minimal scan and fire position...

I don't think that everyone is a LEO Trained person as is with most spouses so it is very hard to predict reactions under stress...even LEOs miss under stress at almost point blank.

I don't know about you, but most people haven't shot a Human Being in there lifetime...People say allot but you never know until it happens to you...

I think the Movies are Biggest Teachers of False Actions...but people don't really know...although lately it has been pretty hazardous to shopping at a Mall...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom