• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ELEMENT94

Wild eyed pistol waver.
    Sep 23, 2007
    Depends on whether you are for or against keeping firearms out of the hands of mentally ill people.

You want Adam Lanza, Nikolas Cruz, Eric Harris, Dylan Klebold, etc. buying firearms off of yard sale tables? Granted, a NICS check probably would not have stopped them from buying guns though because there was nothing in NICS that would have showed they were mentally deranged. The Arizona theater shooter might have been stopped had NICS been updated with his psychiatric record.

Maybe we should work on shoring up NICS for mental disorders and not worrying about convicts that roam among us as free people.

Didnt all those guys with the exception of Cruz steal the guns from parents?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    The entire issue with the loaning is that some people were loaning guns to criminals. Also another way to complete a straw purchase under the guise of a loan. There are a lot of exemptions. Friends will have to buy their own guns, and really see what life is like for a gun owner in Maryland. When you loan them yours, they do not have to jump through all the hoops that is Maryland. Maybe some more people will wise up when they cannot just borrow a gun from you or me when they need it.

This can easily be solved. Pass a bill that makes it illegal to loan a gun to a prohibited person, DON'T put more onerous restrictions on the law abiding.
    This won't prevent a straw purchase as those are already illegal.
    I don't really see how making even more people go through the ridiculous crap to buy a gun is a good thing.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Depends on whether you are for or against keeping firearms out of the hands of mentally ill people.

You want Adam Lanza, Nikolas Cruz, Eric Harris, Dylan Klebold, etc. buying firearms off of yard sale tables? Granted, a NICS check probably would not have stopped them from buying guns though because there was nothing in NICS that would have showed they were mentally deranged. The Arizona theater shooter might have been stopped had NICS been updated with his psychiatric record.

Maybe we should work on shoring up NICS for mental disorders and not worrying about convicts that roam among us as free people.

Right now no one is really in the mood to defend the rapist for being reasonable and using a condom and lube. If you get my drift.

Just saying.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County

Evil will always find a way. Gun bills and NICS checks are not capable of stopping evil. They only affect those who would obey, aka the law-abiding.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    The MGA just wants more new guns in Maryland.

Instead of buying a used gun, I will just go buy a new gun - especially if I have to go through the same checks.

/sarcasm

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

We are in agreement, shoring up NICS needs to be done.
    Adam Lanza didn't buy a gun from anyone, he MURDERED his mother and took hers.
    Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold got theirs through a straw purchase, not a dealer.
    Nicolas Cruz bought his legally.

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    The entire issue with the loaning is that some people were loaning guns to criminals. Also another way to complete a straw purchase under the guise of a loan. There are a lot of exemptions. Friends will have to buy their own guns, and really see what life is like for a gun owner in Maryland. When you loan them yours, they do not have to jump through all the hoops that is Maryland. Maybe some more people will wise up when they cannot just borrow a gun from you or me when they need it.

FUDD located.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    if you loan a fam. member a gun do you have to be a baby sitter and stay with it

My understanding from reading this is there are exemptions.

I believe transfer to an immediate family member does not require the NICS check, nor does loaning it for hunting or range use. As to the duration of those activities [same day, two weeks, I don't know].

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    This bill is trash along with anyone who wrote it or will vote for it. Any infringement on any of the Bill of Rights is nothing but soft tyranny and thanking the MGA for only restricting your rights a little bit is like thanking a home invader for deciding not to take your toaster after they’ve stolen everything else.

Glad they at least put in an LE loophole, can’t have the Gun Task Force inhibited while they’re drumming up charges and running guns to drug dealers; that’d be an embarrassing NICS check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I wish it didn't define dealer as MRFD, should just define dealer as FFL 01.

Says must be a Maryland regulated firearms dealer but just to do a nics check, which has nothing to do with regulated firearms.

There are FFL 01"s who are not MRFD.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Fabs, if you are looking for your cheese, it has slid off your cracker.

Watching your posts on multiple threads over the past couple days I have some advice for you...NEVER MOVE FROM HOWARD COUNTY, YOU BELONG RIGHT THERE...In the next PG\MOCO.

MGA asks for "20" and they get the " 5" they originally wanted and people sit and suck on it like its a victory. Next year they'll do the same and get another step.

You obviously not only will comply, but In fact endorse it.

I'm done. Have been since that bitch Dumais proved to me how far this has gone.

4th box.

(Where is my Mopar emoji)

DONE!!!!!!!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    We are in agreement, shoring up NICS needs to be done.
    Adam Lanza didn't buy a gun from anyone, he MURDERED his mother and took hers.
    Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold got theirs through a straw purchase, not a dealer.
    Nicolas Cruz bought his legally.

Yes, but the straw purchase was illegal. Sadly, law enforcement was not standing right there next to them.

Connecticut should have had a law requiring that all parents of autistic children keep firearms locked up and away from kids suffering from ailments like that.

Just food for thought.

Does a law against murder prevent a lot of murders? I know there has been a person or two that I wanted to punch in the face, but the thought of being in handcuffs, spending time in prison, losing my professional licenses, etc. has deterred me.

So, should there be laws on the books or not. Should we have a law on the books that says people suffering from mental illness cannot possess a firearm? Should we have something on the books saying that convicted felons should not possess a firearm? If your answer is yes to either question, then how do you enforce the law? If you cannot enforce the law, then why even say those types of people cannot have firearms.

Would a seller of a firearm be less likely to sell the firearm FTF after this law passes, or would a law like this make a lot more people go through a NICS check?

Should we have a NICS check in the first place?

Should crack cocaine be illegal?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    They want to throw as many gun owners in prison as possible. If this passes, then MSI, MSRPA, NRA, etc. need to get e-mails and letters out to members to let them know about this.

Are you volunteering? Envelope stuffing takes longer than you would think.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Fabs, if you are looking for your cheese, it has slid off your cracker.

Watching your posts on multiple threads over the past couple days I have some advice for you...NEVER MOVE FROM HOWARD COUNTY, YOU BELONG RIGHT THERE...In the next PG\MOCO.

MGA asks for "20" and they get the " 5" they originally wanted and people sit and suck on it like its a victory. Next year they'll do the same and get another step.

You obviously not only will comply, but In fact endorse it.

I'm done. Have been since that bitch Dumais proved to me how far this has gone.

4th box.

(Where is my Mopar emoji)

DONE!!!!!!!

Yeah, we will have to agree to disagree on that. I'll probably leave this state well before you will and no, I do not belong here.

See how the 4th box works out for you. There aren't enough people willing to step on that 4th box right now for it to be much of anything, and I am willing to bet that you aren't running right out there and jumping on the 4th box come July 1. Only way you will get on the 4th box is at a moment's notice when a warrant is being served on you, and even then, you will need to make a gut check decision at that very moment to live or die.

My apologizes if I have you wrong and you indeed plan on getting on that 4th box on July 1 and getting the civil war started.

Meh, easy to say "no more, I will not comply, etc.", until SWAT is knocking on the door and you really have to make a decision on whether to live another day or die.

You moving out of Eldersburg or retiring there, because I assure you Eldersburg is a shadow of what it used to be 30 years ago?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Are you volunteering? Envelope stuffing takes longer than you would think.

How many members? I am good for a couple hundred envelopes, maybe 1,000? I've stuffed plenty of envelopes. You providing the postage or should I fork that over too. I can stuff envelopes on April 16th. Maybe we can have an envelope stuffing party.

If you have ever done a mass mailer, you would know that they are printed on a single sheet of paper, folded in half, and sent out through the post office via a special rate. Even better, postcards can be printed and mailed pretty easily at a reduced postage cost.

Lastly, the NRA could just include a special insert with its bi-weekly mail in Maryland asking for donations.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    This was probably exactly what they wanted from the beginning. The LQL nonsense was likely thrown in to make it look so horrible that we should all now thank our Lords and Masters for such a generous bill. They were never serious about the LQL IMHO. That would have alienated the hunters and the general population way too much.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Fabs, Pre 2013 a then friend who is (and was then) an ICE agent posed the question to me what I would do if he was tasked to knock on my door and seize my legal firearms unconstitutionally.

He too (as you) did and does not understand my resolve, and is no longer a friend (by his choice).

I'll be gone from Maryland long before you. It is also foolish of you to doubt such resolve that you obviously cannot wrap your mind around.

You and I have always gotten along for the most part. I see a change lately.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Is it not already a felony to be in possession if you are prohibited, regardless if the gun was loaned to you by someone who knew you were or not?

Is this putting the burden on the lender to verify the person they are lending to isnt prohibited?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom