• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The meaning of Bona Fide collector in the statute is undefined.

Therefore IMO it is useless in terms of an affirmative defense for a violation of the transport statute

But IANAL

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    doesn't the collectors letter give you a bit of leeway here?

The only purpose of the Designated Collector letter is to show that you have begged permission from MSP to be permitted to purchase more than one regulated firearm in any given 30-day cycle of time.

The meaning of Bona Fide collector in the statute is undefined.

Therefore IMO it is useless in terms of an affirmative defense for a violation of the transport statute

But IANAL

The short answer is "No."

Even an FFL03 is shaky as all get out, IMO.

Only an Unrestricted W&C Permit is a Get Out of Jail Free Card, it seems.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    doesn't the collectors letter give you a bit of leeway here?

to pile on, regardless of the collectors letter, the wear and carry statue already carves out the exception for:

(5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-2/4-203/

Are you moving your collection from place to place for public or private exhibition? Whats an exhibition? Showboating your AR Pistol for your friends probably does not cut it.

Also, keep in mind, this only applies to handguns....

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    First you’d have to do something that would get police to search your vehicle or person (if you had it on you). If it had risen to the level of a reasonable search, likely you are in deep crap already. Then you’d need a DA who’d want to prosecute. Then a jury who’d be willing to convict.

But let’s face it, many of those intermediate stops are costing your time, money and some amount of freedom along the way.

Would I stop for gas if I needed to? Yes. But yeah, I am not going to swing by the grocery store to pick up a few items when my wife calls me when I am at the range. I am also going to try to be delivery to avoid needing to stop. Which means if I am going to the range for a few hours, I’ll bring a couple of snack bars and a canteen and take a piss in the club house before driving home rather than have to stop to take a leak or grab something to eat.

I’ll also try to avoid needing to get gas if I can reasonably help it.

I think if you can easily prove you were going hunting or shooting, gunsmith, etc. then I doubt a DA would even try to prosecute you and I can’t imagine a jury convicting you. But the more off the explicit exceptions you go, the more likely it is you’ll get your butt nailed if you ever were discovered to be transporting a handgun.

Holy crap, what happens if you put the handguns, SBR, and assault weapons in the truck and then stop at a buddy's house to pick him up before heading to the range? Don't have the police in your driveway when I stop by to pick you up. lol

I agree with you. I would even stop to pick up milk on the way home if my wife were to ask me to do it. Now, stopping off at the stripper bar with a truck load of guns? Don't think I will do that.

The entire gas station thing is ridiculous. Don't stop for gas versus running out of gas on the side of the road. Think I would prefer my chances at the gas station than on the side of the road.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    to pile on, regardless of the collectors letter, the wear and carry statue already carves out the exception for:

https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-2/4-203/

Are you moving your collection from place to place for public or private exhibition? Whats an exhibition? Showboating your AR Pistol for your friends probably does not cut it.

What is a "bona fide collector"? How many guns do I need to own to be a "bona fide collector". Are specific guns (e.g., WWI/WWII surplus) more "bona fide collector" than others (e.g., 2019 Noveske SBR)?

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Holy crap, what happens if you put the handguns, SBR, and assault weapons in the truck and then stop at a buddy's house to pick him up before heading to the range? Don't have the police in your driveway when I stop by to pick you up. lol

I agree with you. I would even stop to pick up milk on the way home if my wife were to ask me to do it. Now, stopping off at the stripper bar with a truck load of guns? Don't think I will do that.

The entire gas station thing is ridiculous. Don't stop for gas versus running out of gas on the side of the road. Think I would prefer my chances at the gas station than on the side of the road.

I figure we are supposed to anticipate everything. Have something to eat and drink, don't forget to pee and poop, and fill the car with gas, all before you load up and head off to the range. If you get a flat tire...?

Minor

May 17, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    What is a "bona fide collector"? How many guns do I need to own to be a "bona fide collector". Are specific guns (e.g., WWI/WWII surplus) more "bona fide collector" than others (e.g., 2019 Noveske SBR)?

On the subject of collector - why wouldn’t the 10 day waiting period be waived since maybe you might already have a gun? #moreidiocyoutofannapolis

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands

LOL I not showboating anything, nor do I even own an ar pistol. I was curious more in the sense of moving a firearm to a different location to add or remove parts/clean said firearm or something of that sort.

If one doesn't have the proper tools to add something, as example.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    On the subject of collector - why wouldn’t the 10 day waiting period be waived since maybe you might already have a gun? #moreidiocyoutofannapolis

Because the statute makes no carve out for DC to be exempt from the 7 day wait

As mentioned, the transport statute applies to handguns, SBR’s, SBS’ and now banned regulated long gun firearms.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Holy crap, what happens if you put the handguns, SBR, and assault weapons in the truck and then stop at a buddy's house to pick him up before heading to the range?

Nothing. Because you aren't telling anyone you don't trust that they are there, and you really don't care about Unconstitutional laws....:D

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I tell them the truth, its always your friend. I have nothing to hide. I am a Designated Collector taking my collection of loaded revolvers over to the Highs to make a withdrawal. How do you like my Unicorn onesy, officer?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    LOL I not showboating anything, nor do I even own an ar pistol. I was curious more in the sense of moving a firearm to a different location to add or remove parts/clean said firearm or something of that sort.

If one doesn't have the proper tools to add something, as example.

There is an exception for gunsmithing. But you better be sure the person is a licensed gunsmith.

There is no exception for taking it over to your buddy’s to have a beer and put a new handguard on your AR pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom