• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Recently moved to HoCo and was told that there is a local law or ordnance limiting ownership or use of tasers in HoCo or maybe more specifically Columbia. Anyone know this for sure?

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    I think the outcome in the case discussed in the thread below settles that issue.

Commonwealth v. Caetano

Basically homeless guy owns a stun gun for self defenese and gets popped. Mass. in all its wisdom criminalizes their mere possession. He is convicted in the trial court and appeals directly to the Mass Supreme Court.

This Court has solicited amicus briefs on the following two questions:

Whether G. L. ch. 140, s. 131J, which criminalizes the private possession of so-called stun guns, infringes on the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms as defined by the Supreme Court’s Heller and McDonald decisions.
    Whether, and how, the Second Amendment protection applies outside one’s home in the case of a homeless person.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ght-to-own-and-carry-a-stun-in-massachusetts/

Case Docket: (Available at http://www.ma-appellatecourts.org/search_number.php?dno=SJC-11718&get=Search)

SUPREME JUDICIAL COURT
    for the Commonwealth
    Case Docket

COMMONWEALTH vs. JAIME CAETANO
    SJC-11718

CASE HEADER
    Case Status Blue brief(s) filed, awaiting red Status Date 08/22/2014
    Nature Crime: Possession of Gun Entry Date 07/17/2014
    Appellant Defendant Case Type Criminal
    Brief Status Awaiting red brief Brief Due 11/10/2014
    Quorum

AC/SJ Number 2014-P-0105 Citation
    DAR/FAR Number DAR-22613 Lower Ct Number
    Lower Court Framingham District, MI Lower Ct Judge Robert V. Greco, J.
    Route to SJC Direct Appellate Review

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
    Transcripts received: 3 volumes, 2 sets (on CD and papers). Transcripts dates: 6/4/13, 7/10/13 and 9/26/13.

INVOLVED PARTY

Commonwealth
    Plaintiff/Appellee
    Awaiting red brief
    1 Extension, 42 Days
    James W. Sahakian, A.D.A.
    Michael Albert Kaneb, A.D.A.

Jaime Caetano
    Defendant/Appellant
    Blue brief & appendix filed
    1 Extension, 23 Days
    Benjamin H. Keehn, Esquire
    Arming Women Ahainst Rape and En

Amicus
    Amicus brief filed

Lisa J. Steele, Esquire
    Eugene Volokh
    Out-of-state counsel for amicus

Michael E. Rosman
    Out-of-state counsel for amicus

DOCKET ENTRIES
    Entry Date Paper Entry Text
    07/17/2014 #1 Entered. Notice to counsel.
    07/17/2014 Transferred from Appeals Court: None. No briefs filed in Appeals Court.
    07/18/2014 #2 ANNOUNCEMENT: The Justices are soliciting amicus briefs. Whether G. L. c. 140, § 131J, which criminalizes the private possession of so-called stun guns, infringes on the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms as defined by the Supreme Court's Heller and McDonald decisions; whether, and how, the Second Amendment protection applies outside one's home in the case of a homeless person.
    07/21/2014 #3 MOTION to extend to 08/29/2014 filing of brief of Jaime Caetano by Benjamin H. Keehn, Esquire. (ALLOWED to August 29, 2014)
    08/22/2014 #4 SERVICE of brief & appendix for Defendant/Appellant Jaime Caetano by Benjamin H. Keehn.
    09/02/2014 #5 MOTION TO FILE AMICUS BRIEF filed for Arming Women Against Rape and Endangerment by Lisa J. Steele, Esquire. (ALLOWED)
    09/02/2014 #6 SERVICE of amicus brief for Amicus Arming Women Against Rape and Endangerment by Lisa J. Steele.
    09/05/2014 #7 MOTION to extend to 11/10/2014 filing of brief of Commonwealth by Michael A. Kaneb, A.D.A. (ALLOWED to November 10, 2014)
    09/08/2014 #8 Service of Substitute Brief and Record Appendix for the Defendant by Denjamin H. Keehn, Esquire.[/

Charges dropped in Caetano v. Massachusetts Second Amendment stun gun case - The Washington Post Volokh today:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...massachusetts-second-amendment-stun-gun-case/

Regards
    Jack

And not just dropped, she was actually acquitted by the trial judge, which is much better. I love happy endings....

Mr H

Banana'd
    Recently moved to HoCo and was told that there is a local law or ordnance limiting ownership or use of tasers in HoCo or maybe more specifically Columbia. Anyone know this for sure?

Last I was aware, HoCo is still among the jurisdictions where they are illegal.

BaltCity
    BaltCo
    HoCo
    Annapolis
    Ocean City

I always want to think there's one more, but that may be it.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Last I was aware, HoCo is still among the jurisdictions where they are illegal.

BaltCity
    BaltCo
    HoCo
    Annapolis
    Ocean City

I always want to think there's one more, but that may be it.

Baltimore County AG determined it was unconstitutional. There is now a note in the code. ( discussed in the thread).

HoCo ban is likely unconstitutional too. The AG may have made a quiet determination (they do not need to act unless there is a case).. or someone may need to be a test case.

The real issue is going to be buying one, honestly. Most vendors have not updated their policies.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Baltimore County AG determined it was unconstitutional. There is now a note in the code. ( discussed in the thread).

HoCo ban is likely unconstitutional too. The AG may have made a quiet determination (they do not need to act unless there is a case).. or someone may need to be a test case.

The real issue is going to be buying one, honestly. Most vendors have not updated their policies.

I should have said, "pending final determinations". Thanks.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Thanks for the info. Does anyone know what exactly is "banned", only tasers that project (shoot) the probes out? Or does this apply to the handheld versions that you have to walk up to someone and touch them with.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    I think its all of them in HoCo. I had a friend get in a tiny bit of trouble with one several years ago. He zapped his girlfriends ex when he showed up drunk and looking for a fight. I remember the cop asked him how many time he zapped him and he said " every time he went to stand up". They took his stun gun and informed him they were illegal there. Was funny as hell listening to the story!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I think its all of them in HoCo. I had a friend get in a tiny bit of trouble with one several years ago. He zapped his girlfriends ex when he showed up drunk and looking for a fight. I remember the cop asked him how many time he zapped him and he said " every time he went to stand up". They took his stun gun and informed him they were illegal there. Was funny as hell listening to the story!

That was before Caetano though.

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know what exactly is "banned", only tasers that project (shoot) the probes out? Or does this apply to the handheld versions that you have to walk up to someone and touch them with.

The code only says electronic weapons.
    Electronic weapon: Any instrument, "stun-gun," "TASER," or any similar device by whatever name which is designed as a weapon, capable of, or designed to be capable of, temporarily incapacitating another by the discharge of electrical current through projectile or nonprojectile means.

As we all noted upthread, after the supreme court decision in Caetano, it's unlikely this ban is constitutional or would get enforced. Of course, I am not telling people to take legal risk, but you should consider that other counties have decided a ban is unconstitutional, and the lawsuit in D.C. was basically won.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom