• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    It looks like I may be doing a trade with a friend of mine for his Remington 700 SPS Tactical in 308. I know this has been asked over and over again. I've read all the threads I could find and have done a bit of research.

I plan on overhauling the gun to make it a bit more accurate and easier to shoot. Here are my thoughts:

- Get the 20" bull barrel cut down to 18 or 16.5" and have it threaded for my SDN6. Not sure what length yet.
    - Replace the stock (Thinking Magpul due to price but open to suggestions)
    - Badger Ordnance or Seekins 20 MOA scope mount
    - Vortex Precision rings
    - I have a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 in 3x9 (Will this scope be okay on a 308?)
    - Trigger swap (I run Geisseles in my ARs but not familiar with 700 triggers.)

I'm hoping to grab some of the parts on Black Friday if the price is right.
    What am I missing? Any other words of wisdom? This gun will mostly be used at the range to slowly start learning long range shooting.

Thanks in advance.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    That scope should handle it fine. But you'll want to swap it out once you find some cash after your other mods. You might also think about selling it and just get the new magpul hunter 700 they make as a complete rifle. It's in BassPro's black Friday flyer now. $999.00

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    That scope should handle it fine. But you'll want to swap it out once you find some cash after your other mods. You might also think about selling it and just get the new magpul hunter 700 they make as a complete rifle. It's in BassPro's black Friday flyer now. $999.00

Thanks. Any recommendations on a better scope. I'm willing to save up for a quality scope.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks. Any recommendations on a better scope. I'm willing to save up for a quality scope.

I'm still doing quite fine with the Vortex Viper HS-T (6-24x50, MRAD, SFP). Haven't even had to dial it up past 16x yet, it was plenty for my 600 yard shooting. Price can vary, but expect to spend in the high 500 to mid 600 range.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm still doing quite fine with the Vortex Viper HS-T (6-24x50, MRAD, SFP). Haven't even had to dial it up past 16x yet, it was plenty for my 600 yard shooting. Price can vary, but expect to spend in the high 500 to mid 600 range.

Funny. I was just looking at youtube reviews of that exact scope. Thanks Brad. I'm hoping for some Black Friday deals so I can start buying a few things. :thumbsup:

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Think hard about cutting that barrel down if you ever intend to stretch it's legs. I owned a 16" 308 for a bit and learned that at that length velocities we're very inconsistent because it couldn't burn all the powder. That lead to poor accuracy at ranges beyond 300yds. Along with that goes the 20moa rail if you don't intend to shoot long range there really isn't ant need. Timney makes a nice drop in trigger. My 700 was a adl varmint and the best upgrade I ever did was ditching that POS stock for a choate tactical. The choate isn't fancy but it works great.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I did almost the exact same thing. Put the SPS barrel on, cut it down to 18" and threaded, installed a DNZ 20MOA Game Reaper mount and dropped it all in a Magpul 700 Hunter stock. Also had a Rifle Basix L-1K trigger installed and set to 3.5lb. I also had the bolt handle threaded for an oversized handle.

img_0102.jpg

I have since swapped that POS Cabelas optic for an Athlon Talos 6-24X50

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Think hard about cutting that barrel down if you ever intend to stretch it's legs. I owned a 16" 308 for a bit and learned that at that length velocities we're very inconsistent because it couldn't burn all the powder. That lead to poor accuracy at ranges beyond 300yds. Along with that goes the 20moa rail if you don't intend to shoot long range there really isn't ant need. Timney makes a nice drop in trigger. My 700 was a adl varmint and the best upgrade I ever did was ditching that POS stock for a choate tactical. The choate isn't fancy but it works great.

I've heard that 18" is the shortest one should go on a 308. I'm leaning towards that length mainly because I'm going to have an SDN6 suppressor attached.
    As for the 20moa rail, when does it make sense to use one? 300+?

I did almost the exact same thing. Put the SPS barrel on, cut it down to 18" and threaded, installed a DNZ 20MOA Game Reaper mount and dropped it all in a Magpul 700 Hunter stock. Also had a Rifle Basix L-1K trigger installed and set to 3.5lb. I also had the bolt handle threaded for an oversized handle.

img_0102.jpg

I have since swapped that POS Cabelas optic for an Athlon Talos 6-24X50

That's almost exactly what I'm looking to do. Nice rifle :thumbsup:

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Thanks. I haven't shot her past 200 yds but I am happy with the results. I would like to see what someone who is a much better shooter than I could do with her at longer distances.

They did testing with a longer barrel and cut it down incrementally to 13.5" and tested out to 540 yards with no discernible loss in accuracy. I can only guess that at longer ranges, the accuracy will only falter at distances where the round goes trans-sonic due to the loss of potential due to barrel length.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/10/daniel-zimmerman/the-truth-about-barrel-length-muzzle-velocity-and-accuracy/

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    i kept the stock and dremeled it out in front to make sure it was clear of barrel with bipod. added timney trigger, swfa 10x fixed with leupold rings and it is sub-moa gun with 168 grn federal gold metal match. no one could argue with a stock swap but why not see how it shoots prior to planning to swap all the parts out? either way you are getting into a good rig. congrats!

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    A 308 sighted in at 200yds drops roughly 85" at 600yds. Even a scope with a 1" tube and not a lot of adjustments will get you there. Hell most mil dot or mrad reticles will get you out to about 600yds just by using the hash marks. No need for the 20moa rail unless pushing past that range. Ymmv ofcoarse depending on load and particular setup.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    unless you're clearing houses or the like, stick with a long barrel. extra velocity helps out there.

spendy, but consider a chassis system instead of another stock. i actually had my bolt gun with a 'stock' stock up for sale until i found a masterpiece arms chassis which gives it a lot more "AR" feel which i prefer.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Chassis, XLR Industries has a few options for the 700 inlet. Last 700 SPS I shot in a XLR Evolution chassis, was doing 1 large ragged hole groups at 103 yards with 168gr FGMM. I did slightly worse with it, but this was a 5-shot string from that day that I shot.

G0.jpg

Guy had a Bushnell Elite Tactical 4.5-30x50 (IIRC), and a feather light trigger. It was a really sweet shooting rifle.

**Personally, I'd just have the 20" threaded. Not a lot of difference in FPS going from 20" to 18", but seeing as it's a bolt gun, might as well keep as much velocity as you can.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Chassis, XLR Industries has a few options for the 700 inlet. Last 700 SPS I shot in a XLR Evolution chassis, was doing 1 large ragged hole groups at 103 yards with 168gr FGMM. I did slightly worse with it, but this was a 5-shot string from that day that I shot.

View attachment 218597

Guy had a Bushnell Elite Tactical 4.5-30x50 (IIRC), and a feather light trigger. It was a really sweet shooting rifle.

**Personally, I'd just have the 20" threaded. Not a lot of difference in FPS going from 20" to 18", but seeing as it's a bolt gun, might as well keep as much velocity as you can.

Not to derail the thread but what app or software do you use to measure groups like that. I try to use my calipers but I know I'm not holding them right. Could you post what this group is or pm me?

Attachments

• KIMG0315-4-2.jpg
      KIMG0315-4-2.jpg
      19.6 KB · Views: 182

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Badger Ordinance bolt knob was a must have for my 700.
    Other mods include Timney flat trigger
    and XLR Element chassis

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I started to give the old school answer, but before reaching halfway , realized I didn't have the inclination to finish before nap time . If I don't see it by tommorow (today) afternoon , I'll revisit .

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    I think below 20" is a waste. For me the Magpul stock feels terrible but others really like it. I'm a big fan of bedding blocks and have had great success with HS. My latest 223 has a stockys accublock stock and can consistently shot 0.2" 5 shot groups. I also just ordered a choate for a Howa build. Its heavy and the finish is rough but otherwise seems to be a great value. I'm a big timney trigger fan but have a trigger tech on the way for another build. Figure out if you like the single or two stage trigger first. I can't shoot a two stage for the life of me, and have converted all my AR's to single stage. Also check out a KRG bolt lift rather then threading the bolt handle.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    unless you're clearing houses or the like, stick with a long barrel. extra velocity helps out there.

spendy, but consider a chassis system instead of another stock. i actually had my bolt gun with a 'stock' stock up for sale until i found a masterpiece arms chassis which gives it a lot more "AR" feel which i prefer.

I would like to go that route but I’m trying to do this on a specific budget in mind.

Badger Ordinance bolt knob was a must have for my 700.
    Other mods include Timney flat trigger
    and XLR Element chassis

What do you think of the 2 piece knobs that don’t require cutting and threading the stock knowb?

View attachment 218597

The only reason I’m thinking of cutting it down to 18” is to occasionally hunt with it suppressed. I feel the less length I have, the easier it would be to handle when I’m up in a climber. I’m doing more research on velocity and how the twist rate of the barrel will affect it if I cut it down. Having said that, barrel is last on my list. I figure I would do all the other stuff first. Thanks :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom