• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    NBC lost me as a viewer when they chose not to honor the 9/11 moment of silence and interviewed Kris Jenner about some Kardashian Krap.
    NBC sports has been on my sh*tlist ever since they had that whiny ******* Keith Olberman on their pregame show. WTF was he doing on there anyway?

usaf_joe

newb..
    Jul 21, 2012
    AA County
    Bob Costas is an unprofessional *******. Using his position as a sportscaster to voice his personal, anti-American beliefs is irresponsible and reprehensible.

Fvck him and NBC.

+1 :thumbsup:

Welcome to journalism of the 21st century...
    1. Completely one-sided (no secret it's a liberal propaganda machine)
    2. Project your opinions and basically tell other people how they should feel
    3. Hide stories that hurt your cause .. fill their tv's with celeb/reality tv fluff

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    Crap.. didn't see this thread when I started mine venting about Bob Costas's comment. Maybe the admins can either get rid of mine, or combine them.

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    Just in case, I really wanted to include my opinion on this, just in case the thread I started gets the ax and show what I will be posting in NBC.com. This is what I wrote in my thread. There is a couple of very good intelligent replies, I wish I knew how to copy and paste them here.

OK, I am a Raven Maniac above All. But I am also a Football Nut, the only channels I watch are NFL Network, NBC Sports, ESPN, and such. On Sunday Night Football at half time, they very briefly covered the story about the Linebacker from KC who killed his girl and then himself. Tragic story. Then Bob Costas gives his editorial regarding the story. He says he hardly ever agrees with the sports writer from KC, but this time he feels he should quote the last few lines of the written article. In summary, he says, "gun laws should be more restrictive. Young men wouldn't die over petty arguments", and the final exact quote. "If Jovan Belcher didn't have a gun, he and his girlfriend would still be alive". So a 6'2" 228 lb man could not find a way to kill his girlfriend with out a gun??? And, after the fact, there is no other way to call your own number with out the use of a firearm??? I am Truly not making Light of the horrible incident that happened. But, I turned the game off after that idiotic statement. To say something so stupid in front of millions of viewers...oh sh!t wait, my Glock just jumped out of my holster and shot the Cat!! Damn Evil Gun!!!

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Costas is a member or the Domestic Enemy Media who's first mission is to educate the population how dangerous all of those rights are and how we should ban all rights for Amerikans so we don't offend anybody.

Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    On the lighter side of all this, I got a call from a friend at work last night as soon as Costas let these jewels roll from his lips. He's a liberal in denial that happens to be a new gun owner. He just recently acquired the core essentials, G19, Mosseberg 930SPX and a Troy AR. He was absolutely flipping that Costas would be allowed to say such a thing. LMAO, welcome to the Battered Gun Owner's Syndrome my friend.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I don't want political commentary from my sports announcers. I give that just as much credence as when a politician offers up sports commentary. BTW, I LIKED Olbermann on ESPN back in the day, then he decided that pro sports in the USA was just not big enough for him...

Costas should apologize or be fired. Neither will happen because it is NBC and we all know they are in the bag for the Dems and liberal causes.

The first thing my wife said when she heard about this tragedy was that the media would blame head injuries. I opined that the gun would be blamed too. I saw on Drudge last night that we were both correct. Face palm for my country and the way information is distributed.

The guy was obviously unstable. When will someone point out that pain meds and alcohol don't mix? Might those things have had more to do with what led to what happened than the method the guy used to commit murder/suicide? As others have said, the guy could have used any means to kill his girlfriend and himself. The real question SHOULD be: "What led to his snapping in the first place?"

Maybe, someday, young athletes will learn to keep it in their pants and not father children out of wedlock. I'll catch hell for saying this...on second thought, I decided to delete what I wrote here...So let me just say this: Every young athlete needs to be handed a bag filled with male contraceptive pills when they sign their contracts. MLB, NFL, NBA, and the NHL should be funding research into such drugs.

Anyway, the guy went bonkers. The means he decided to use to commit murder is irrelevant. The real problems here will be glossed over by people with an agenda.

I would also say that teams need to invest more in counselors for their players. These athletes are unique in their abilities, earnings, financial worth to the clubs, and mentality. Most are under 30 and multi-millionair celebrities. That's bound to mess with their heads. There is some blame here for the organizations who are only worried about what the guy does on the field because not everyone is equipped to deal with stardom in their twenties. I would think that the teams would want to protect their investments.

The same goes for the player associations. All they care about are salaries and retirement packages. It would seem that they should have some concern for the mental health of the members. Maybe it's time to go from making assistance available to making it part of the contracts. Maybe there should be an older, ex-athlete who keeps track of a handful of players on each club and is in a position to offer advice to them or, when things go bad, alert the league/team/player's association, of an impending problem.

There are mandates in contracts for physical checkups and procedures, there should be such mandates on the mental health side.

None of that takes any responsibility from this player. He turned murderer and that is totally on him. I am just saying that he turned to people, like Romeo and the GM, for help too late.

Splitter

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I have to agree... I'll add that I think this is a convenient way for the NFL to deflect the conversation from the prevalence of head injuries in their sport and talk about gun control intead. Clearly, concussions, use of pain meds and alcohol, steroids, etc, etc, have nothing to do with promulgating an atmosphere conducive to suicidal behavior, but the presence of a gun does?

Also, when we're talking about suicide, it might be helpful to arm ourselves with some facts. The USA ranks 37 in terms of suicide rate (per 100,000) which is just ahead of Canada. Obviously there is much more gun control in Canada, thus f gun control was the panacea it's made out to be, the US would rank much higher and the Canadians would rank much lower. Someone already mentioned Japan, but Switzerland is also high on the list... A country with high rates of gun ownership. In fact, there are a number of countries with high rates of suicide that heavily regulate firearms and some countries with high rates of suicide that don't. These data serve to make the point that gun control and suicide rates have very little in common...

jleemd99

Oct 30, 2011
    Catonsville, Maryland
    Go to their Facebook page and leave a comment. We have to put pressure on them that they will lose viewers until they take action to remedy the situation (public apology, fire Costas, etc.). It's nice that we can discuss the topic here amongst ourselves, but that's like preaching to the choir so to speak. Get out there and let them know that we support our right to own firearms.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Comments on Twitchy.com - Bob Costas hijacks Sunday Night Football to give anti-gun lecture

Comments on Richochet.com - Bob Costas Goes Keith Olbermann -- And Not In A Good Way

In another tweet, Allen Covert put it well: "Don't exploit a tragedy to forward your agenda."

These are wise words for each and every one of us. It may be our instinct when something happens to spin it as confirmation of our biases, but we should resist that temptation. Allow the dead their burial. Take a few days. Learn a bit more about the situation. Read the Constitution. Think about the complexity of the problem. But don't go Keith Olbermann. It never goes well.

Words to the wise(r) ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom