• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    sounds like a city folk to me, where i live gun shots mean nothing more than the nieghbors are home. there is over six thousand acres...

john

I'm a bit jealous, but my commute is very short. Last hunting season, people in my community were complaining to the police that they heard the occasional gun shot in the woods. For a couple weeks the police were super vigilant, then one day they 'caught' the hunter. Turns out there is a privately owned road (abandoned/overgrown), in between county property and excess community propert (all in the woods). He had permission and was hunting this strip of land legally. My point being, a bow or suppressor would have prevented my 'sensitive' neighbors concerns. Plus he would look like such a bad-a@@ walking into/outof the woods with a suppressor. :)

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I think its a great idea. It's safety equipment! The dnr would just need to be aware of the legality of using one for hunting. Carrying copies of the state law concerning supressors and hunting with your license might be smart.

I did check. Its legal to hunt with a suppressor in MD, PA, VA and WV. Also I always keep a copy of my tax stamp whenever I bring a suppressor off my property.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Sounds sketchy to me, not calling you a poacher but a suppressed deer rifle screams it.

Guess I'm a poacher. What other insults would you car to hurl my direction ? I own my suppressors legally and I hunt legally with them. How I choose to hunt is none of your business.

People have been hunting long before the population boom of the past 60 years that has threatened hunting lands. The use of a suppressor stops the liberal Obama loving pussies from calling DNR or the Police for someone doing NOTHING illegal.

Think before you type.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I never called anyone here a poacher or hinted at that.

I just dont see spending that kinda cash to use to use it for deer hunting. If your worried about hearing loss -wear a cheap pair of .50 cent squeeshy ear plugs, or get a pair that hang around your neck, and stuff them in your ears.

Come deer season -there loads of rifles going off anyways, so why worry about anyone calling the cops. The DNR know its deer season too.

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    While it does sound kind of poacher-esque, I would ask how many people here hunt while wearing ear pro? My bet would be more not than do and a supressed firearm would definetly be a better way to go. I just wouldn't want to get caught after dark by DNR while carrying it...might have some 'spalinin to do

This! I love hunting, but I love being able to hear a lot more.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I like the idea. Wearing plugs blocks out all sounds including deer moving through the woods. Deer also may sneak in and not give you the opportunity to put them in if you have them around your neck. Or they may get lost on the way to your stand. Or you may leave them home. Electronic muffs are a solution, but they also may be forgotten. Not to mention they can cause you to sweat under the muffs and although they are getting better, alot of sounds aren't the same when using them.

Using an attached suppressor eliminates all the bad points above. Nothing to remember when the deer comes in. Pick up the gun and shoot. All you gotta remember is to bring it with ya. I'd love to have a suppressed 44 mag single shot like Joe at CC has. A nice 300 gr LBT cast bullet @ 1000 fps will punch through any deer at any angle out to 100 and is dead quiet.

I bet most guys here with suppressors spend whatever amount of money on them, use them for nothing more than range plinking, and don't consider that a waste of money. Why is using one for hunting a waste of money? Go for it.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Suppressors are very commonplace on african safaris for non-dangerous game. I believe in some European countries hunters are either encouraged, or mandated to use some type of suppressor. Suppressors for hunting (or any reason) are a good idea IMHO.

I think a 45/70 bolt gun with a can would be friggin awesome. There is a youtube video of a ruger 44 lever gun with a can, and that thing is was too cool. If it were me, I'd go larger caliber, probably 45/70 or .44 magnum with handloads. But that's if I'm taking standard east coast whitetail shots (nothing across the beanfield, or down a fire-lane where you need something with more reach).

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I'd put money that all the "it's a dumb idea" folks in this thread have probably not shot a suppressed weapon before and are doing the keyboard commando thing. A suppressed rifle is so much more pleasant to shoot, with or without hearing protection that I don't know why you would ever shoot unsuppressed if you didn't have to.

-Jim

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    If it were me, I'd go larger caliber, probably 45/70 or .44 magnum with handloads. But that's if I'm taking standard east coast whitetail shots (nothing across the beanfield, or down a fire-lane where you need something with more reach).
    I shot a suppressed .44 magnum carbine once, man that was an awesome gun. SUPER quiet and the recoil was barely noticeable.

-Jim

Blue Falcon

Oct 21, 2010
    Ceciltucky
    Guess I'm a poacher. What other insults would you car to hurl my direction ? I own my suppressors legally and I hunt legally with them. How I choose to hunt is none of your business.

People have been hunting long before the population boom of the past 60 years that has threatened hunting lands. The use of a suppressor stops the liberal Obama loving pussies from calling DNR or the Police for someone doing NOTHING illegal.

Think before you type.

Agreed!!! Also 300 Blackout suppressed sounds like a great idea for deer. 220 grain bullet will do a great job.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    Originally, silencers as they were called then, were designed for "gentlemanly" target shooting and hunting. Enabling conversation while shooting.

I really need to get myself a can or two!

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I'd LOVE to have a suppressor for almost every gun I own but I frankly can't afford it and positivelyrefuse to pay das gubmint for a freaking tax stamp. I need an O/U 12GA and a muzzleloader more than a suppressor, anyhow, so I'll just continue munching my sour grapes in the interim.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Anyway back to the original question - a .308 suppressor can be used for what common deer calibers besides just .308?

One of mine is rated up to 300 Win Mag.....so basically anything below that in muzzle energy. The can is an SWR Omega 300. If in doubt, just check with the manufacturer of your can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom