• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I have a Ruger 10/22 that has the band around the front. I want to put a sling swivel stud on the front (to attach a bipod) but am unable to find a part that allows me to do this. Ruger says they have nothing. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Thanks.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Uncle Mikes makes a special 10/22 front stud that uses your barrel band screw to mount. It's just a small part that comes in the 10/22 kit and can be seen here, on the lower left side of the photo.: http://compare.ebay.com/like/360173188466?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes

You should be able to buy this from Midway or any number of suppliers.

The downside of this system is that while it works fine for carry or a shooting sling, it will not accept a bipod that would attach to a normal front stud, like the Harris. I installed regular wood screw style QD studs on my own 10/22s, back far enough behind the barrel band to clear the hardware with the bipod.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Ah- thanks so much. I guess I'll have to do what you did. Unfortunately my 10/22 is the black synthetic stock model. Anything special I need to know or is it just a matter of drill, epoxy and screw?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Ah- thanks so much. I guess I'll have to do what you did. Unfortunately my 10/22 is the black synthetic stock model. Anything special I need to know or is it just a matter of drill, epoxy and screw?

Scottysan had a wood 10/22 stock for sale in the classifieds.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Scottysan had a wood 10/22 stock for sale in the classifieds.
    Absolutely...if you like wood, these stocks are commonly encountered, as people pull them to customize.

To install the stud in the forend of your synthetic stock, you'll want the machine screw version, and put a larger diameter washer under the nut inside the cavity in the stock. I like to use a dab of bedding compound to prevent rotation and lock it in.

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    Uncle Mikes makes a special 10/22 front stud that uses your barrel band screw to mount. It's just a small part that comes in the 10/22 kit and can be seen here, on the lower left side of the photo.: http://compare.ebay.com/like/360173188466?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes

You should be able to buy this from Midway or any number of suppliers.

The downside of this system is that while it works fine for carry or a shooting sling, it will not accept a bipod that would attach to a normal front stud, like the Harris. I installed regular wood screw style QD studs on my own 10/22s, back far enough behind the barrel band to clear the hardware with the bipod.

That's how I did mine as well. I also added another one behind the bipod one for a sling. Worked fine but I have since removed the sling to put on another gun.

3278106936_271211cd0f_b.jpg

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...I also added another one behind the bipod one for a sling....
    Yes, having that second stud is almost a necessity if one actually uses the sling to shoot while the bipod is mounted. Just carrying, the auxiliary stud on the bipod works "OK" (not great, but just OK).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom