• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    I bought a stripped lower awhile back. 7 day wait....etc. I first built it into a pistol, tore it down and it’s been a. 450 bushmaster rifle since. Am I legally allowed to sell that without going thru the process of a regulated firearm? Assuming the buyer is legal to own it, can I do a private sale? Thanks.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Just curious as to why every Maryland FFL I’ve been to registers AR lowers as pistols and makes Marylanders wait 7 days. What if someone is building it into a rifle and never a pistol?
    Is there law or statute that states this must be done?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    They don’t register them as pistols. A stripped AR15 lower is almost always sold as Other, that way it can be built into a pistol or rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    They don’t register them as pistols. A stripped AR15 lower is almost always sold as Other, that way it can be built into a pistol or rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the clarification. So with one of these lowers sold/registered as other, can it be a pistol one day, a rifle the next, and then back to a pistol? Or once it’s a rifle does it have to stay a rifle forever? I was asked this question and I don’t know the correct, legal answer.
    Thank you

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Thank you for the clarification. So with one of these lowers sold/registered as other, can it be a pistol one day, a rifle the next, and then back to a pistol? Or once it’s a rifle does it have to stay a rifle forever? I was asked this question and I don’t know the correct, legal answer.
    Thank you

I believe that if it's built into a pistol first you can go back and forth between pistol and rifle at will but if it's made a rifle first it can never be made into a pistol

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    One more issue:. It is not a regulated firearm under Md law because it can be built legally into a pistol. It is regulated because it could be built into a banned AR15 configuration. MSP would have no easy way to know if it is a post Oct 2013 purchase with restrictions on configuration without registering the lower. Dedicated 9mm lowers, or 45, 10mm 308 or other calibers incompatible with an AR15 build are not only treated as others on a Federal 4473, but need not be placed on a 77R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom